Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Radiator pipe over electric panel

"mm" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:42:40 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"millinghill" wrote in message
Dear Readers,
My house was built in 1950's. Directly over the (original) main
electrical fuse panel in the basement is a pipe that goes to the 1sr
floor baseboard (all original plumbing). And I mean directly: it's 7"
above the top of the panel.

I plan to have the main electrical fuse panel upgraded to circuit
breakers in the future, and will likley be required by the utility co
to have the local building inspector review my my licensed
electrician's work before the utility co will restore power.

If the electrical work passes, would the inspector cite me for a
violation of this existing condition (pipe over electrical panel) and
delay approval until I have the pipe moved?

Any similar experiences/situations appreciated.
Theodore

Your best answer would be from the electrician doing the work. He will
know
the inspector and will know what to expect. I wouldn't try to contact the
inspector yourself. I know in my area, inspectors never want to talk to
homeowners regarding these gray situations.

But is that the only reason not to call him? For HIS convenience? He
can always say "I'm busy". Or do you think he will judge the
homeowner H more harshly if H annoyed the inspector earlier?

Inspection mechanisms work differently from place to place. In downstate NY,
inspectors are authorized by the municipalities that they inspect in, and
work directly with licensed electricians. Homeowners are not permitted to do
electrical work themselves, and the inspectors essentially refuse to be
teachers. I believe that if a homeowner calls an inspector to ask if an
existing violation can remain, the answer would be absolutely not, where as
if the electrician on the job points it out to the inspector, and it's not a
real terrible violation, he may just ignore it.