Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radiator Pipe HELP

I am interested in various solutions other than painting , in covering
these pipes.

They are somewhat intrusive ...coming out of nowhere and usually
sitting in the

middle of the room for all to see. it seems no matter what paint, one
uses it seems

to chip off and i was wondering if there is anything more decorative.
Ive seen

insulated solutions...what are thes called and where can i get
them...someone

suggested just tying rope around the entire pipe, but I'm worried
it'll burn...

please help...this is one of my projects this week, and i really want
to finish it

before winter comes and the pipes get too hot to handle.
thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am interested in various solutions other than painting , in covering
these pipes.

i was wondering if there is anything more decorative.
Ive seen

insulated solutions...what are thes called and where can i get
them...someone

suggested just tying rope around the entire pipe, but I'm worried
it'll burn...

They only get to about 120 - 140 degrees so nothing will burn. Insulation is
not needed, as they are designed to supply the heat to the house. Giving
off some heat as they pass through is not a big deal and can help in
distribution.

I've seen many cases where the pipes were boxed in, especially in a corner.
A couple of 2 x 4's and sheetrock will do it. I've seen them totally
enclosed, I've seen them with a decorative metal screening in front to allow
air flow.

The pipe are a fact of radiator life, generally efficient and even heating
so look at them as things of mechanical beauty rather than an intrusion.
While they may look "old fashioned", they are better than many of the newer
distribution systems. Old radiators are coming back in style and fetch big
buck when rebuilt.

Fitting Thermostatic Radiator Valves, Plastic Pipe, 15mm 10mm reducers. Mike Myers UK diy 3 January 18th 16 10:15 AM
Radiator Pipe Sizing Gary UK diy 1 July 18th 06 11:35 AM
Radiator pipe instalation and insulation Paul UK diy 1 June 30th 05 07:53 PM
Steam Heat - 1 pipe system - worth turning one radiator off? chris_290 Home Ownership 0 December 28th 04 12:28 PM
Radiator pipe identification problem nemgreen UK diy 2 October 21st 04 12:46 PM