Paul

Default Radiator pipe instalation and insulation

Hi all....... I would like to install 2 radiators using all copper pipework
in my part finished ground floor extension.
The concrete floor is in but still needs a 65mm screed to finish.
The walls are block and when finished will be dry lined with plasterboard.

My questions are this:-
Can the feed pipes to the radiators be on the floor then covered by the
screed?
If so, what insulation / covering should be used for the copper pipes ?

Where the pipes must come down the wall, what insulation should be used ?
Bearing in mind that they need to be covered by the plaster board, should
they be recessed into the blockwork ?

Any advise gratefully received.
Thanks, Paul

Andy Hall

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:11:24 GMT, "Paul"
wrote:

Hi all....... I would like to install 2 radiators using all copper pipework
in my part finished ground floor extension.
The concrete floor is in but still needs a 65mm screed to finish.
The walls are block and when finished will be dry lined with plasterboard.

My questions are this:-
Can the feed pipes to the radiators be on the floor then covered by the
screed?
If so, what insulation / covering should be used for the copper pipes ?

You can get copper tube covered in a plastic sleeving that makes it
suitable to bury in concrete.

Another alternative is to use plastic pipe. Speedfit, among others,
make a corrugated plastic outer cover which is laid into the concrete
and through which plastic pipe for the plumbing can be run. The
advantage of this is that the inner tube can be replaced if ever
needed, although unlikely. You can go from the floor level up to
thte radiator valves in copper tube if you prefer that.

Where the pipes must come down the wall, what insulation should be used ?
Bearing in mind that they need to be covered by the plaster board, should
they be recessed into the blockwork ?

You probably would want to recess the pipes unless you want the
plasterboard to go on wooden studs to space it off from the wall.

Unless the room is vast, 15mm tubes should be enough.

You don't need to insulate them directly if they are inside the
building, so the plastic clad copper would be suitable, or you could
wrap the pipes with a thin insulation to avoid clicking noises from
rubbing against the wall as they expand and contract. They will need
to be clipped to some extent anyway for support.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com