Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Toy Money

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Fun can be a bike ride (assuming you already have the bike, of course).
Then when you're done, you're too tired to spend any more money.

Assuming you have food, of course.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Unless your church does actual real-world good works (funding mission
trips doesn't count) with the tithe, I'd start with redirecting that.

--
aem, trusting organized religion even less than organized government or
organized crime, sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 23:03:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

After all of the above, and savings, whatever is left. ;-) Put another way,
as long as the obligations are taken care of, it's your money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

All play and no retirement savings makes jack a frustrated old guy who's
still working to keep ends met. Fun is not a percentage...it's a threshold
that most people never meet. So they spend on fun anyway and hope
for magic when they're old.

People who are financially secure for the long term with an uncertain
future don't have to ask what percentage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

When the bills are paid, then what is left over can go to fun. Simple as
that! (I have a monthly budget in Excel spreadsheet, so I know on the 1st of
the month how much money I have for what....)

And when things are tight, I cut out optional stuff. Instead of eating out,
eat at home, don't go to movies, etc. Fun might just be going for a short
drive or something low cost.

Same with work.... Work first in the morning, then fun after that. And the
fun is more fun knowing my work/chores are all done!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 4:03*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Well, you could dispense with a few of your wives. Are you allowed to
sell them? I understand mormons, like muslims, have many wives.

If you need more interest in your life, you need to travel and see the
world. Meet people from different cultures. I can recommend places if
you like depending on your interests and vices.
You can then speask with more authority on many world topics, unlike
many Yanks who are totally ignorant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 6:13*am, mike wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

All play and no retirement savings makes jack a frustrated old guy who's
still working to keep ends met. *Fun is not a percentage...it's a threshold
that most people never meet. *So they spend on fun anyway and hope
for magic when they're old.

People who are financially secure for the long term with an uncertain
future don't have to ask what percentage.

You are quite right. The best way to achieve this is not to borrow
money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 11:03*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Anything that's left, but church and charities are excluded, i.e. fun
first
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

That reminds me of when I was in college. One year, I worked a summer
job in a flat die forge shop. Discussing money during coffee break one
day, one of the old black guys said that he split his check three
ways; one for rent, one for groceries and one for Mr. Kessler. When I
asked who Mr. Kessler was, he replied that it was his favorite brand
of whiskey.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Your answer all depends on whether flashlights and batteries are fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a secular point of view. Now that I'm living the various
covenants, I find that God keeps His end. When I pay an honest tithe,
so many things work so much better. Reducing my tithe is false
economy.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Unless your church does actual real-world good works (funding mission
trips doesn't count) with the tithe, I'd start with redirecting that.

--
aem, trusting organized religion even less than organized government
or
organized crime, sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course, you're right. There is a balance in the middle some where.
And, it's the balance I'm seeking. I'm not counting on Social Security
to be there for me. Or, they will keep advancing the eligible age
until it's about 125 years old to start collecting. I also expect the
retirement and mutual funds to be raided for some "crisis" of the
government's making. Still, I do need to keep saving as best possible.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mike"
wrote in message ...

All play and no retirement savings makes jack a frustrated old guy
who's
still working to keep ends met. Fun is not a percentage...it's a
threshold
that most people never meet. So they spend on fun anyway and hope
for magic when they're old.

People who are financially secure for the long term with an uncertain
future don't have to ask what percentage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like that fellow was taking care of himself, as best he knew
how. I'm not a drinker, so my approach will be different. I respect
others choices, even when they aren't the same as mine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pavel314" wrote in message

That reminds me of when I was in college. One year, I worked a summer
job in a flat die forge shop. Discussing money during coffee break one
day, one of the old black guys said that he split his check three
ways; one for rent, one for groceries and one for Mr. Kessler. When I
asked who Mr. Kessler was, he replied that it was his favorite brand
of whiskey.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been outed. My real secrets are now made public
on the message board.

Well, I did it. Treated myself to a toy. Bought a 4C
mag light to go with my 4 cell LED bulb. Going to
make a mixed up frankenstein light. Built from parts.
Not that I need a four c LED mag, but it sure looks
like it is going to be fun to make.

I was seeking absolution and forgiveness for buying
yet another flashlight.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Thomas"
wrote in message

Your answer all depends on whether flashlights and batteries are fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 11:03*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That's a secular point of view. Now that I'm living the various
covenants, I find that God keeps His end. When I pay an honest tithe,
so many things work so much better. Reducing my tithe is false
economy.

If you're paying a tithe, having fun must be against your religion.
It's in the handbook.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Strange, I missed that lesson. I musta been out, having fun? I'm in
trouble, now.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

If you're paying a tithe, having fun must be against your religion.
It's in the handbook.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
That's a secular point of view. Now that I'm living the various
covenants, I find that God keeps His end. When I pay an honest tithe,
so many things work so much better. Reducing my tithe is false
economy.

If you're paying a tithe, having fun must be against your religion.
It's in the handbook.

Nah. He's buying his way into heaven. USAians think money can buy you
everything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You people sure do a lot of stereotyping.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"harry"
wrote in message

If you're paying a tithe, having fun must be against your religion.
It's in the handbook.

Nah. He's buying his way into heaven. USAians think money can buy you
everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 6:27*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
You people sure do a lot of stereotyping.

That's the way they are. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2010 6:27 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You people sure do a lot of stereotyping.

I have a lot of trouble just monotyping.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

You monotypers live such boring lives.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 8/6/2010 6:27 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You people sure do a lot of stereotyping.

I have a lot of trouble just monotyping.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sounds like that fellow was taking care of himself, as best he knew
how. I'm not a drinker, so my approach will be different. I respect
others choices, even when they aren't the same as mine.

What do Mormons do for fun? Whatever it is after you have a year's
supply of food stashed away, then go do it with whatever you have left?
I met a Mormon gal in a bar one time, well she had been a Mormon. A
very nice lady.
My favorite flashlights are the double AA size two batteries with a
decent reflector and krypton bulb, and the million candles rechargeable
12 volt spot light. That thing lights up the night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 7:22*pm, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sounds like that fellow was taking care of himself, as best he knew
how. I'm not a drinker, so my approach will be different. I respect
others choices, even when they aren't the same as mine.

* What do Mormons do for fun? *Whatever it is after you have a year's
supply of food stashed away, then go do it with whatever you have left?
* I met a Mormon gal in a bar one time, well she had been a Mormon. *A
very nice lady.
* My favorite flashlights are the double AA size two batteries with a
decent reflector and krypton bulb, and the million candles rechargeable
12 volt spot light. *That thing lights up the night.

I think they collect names on big computer in Salt Lake City. When
they've got everyone's name the world will end. Or when the hard
drive's full. I forget which. Boom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sounds like that fellow was taking care of himself, as best he knew
how. I'm not a drinker, so my approach will be different. I respect
others choices, even when they aren't the same as mine.

What do Mormons do for fun? Whatever it is after you have a year's
supply of food stashed away, then go do it with whatever you have left?
I met a Mormon gal in a bar one time, well she had been a Mormon. A
very nice lady.
My favorite flashlights are the double AA size two batteries with a
decent reflector and krypton bulb, and the million candles rechargeable
12 volt spot light. That thing lights up the night.

I think they collect names on big computer in Salt Lake City. When
they've got everyone's name the world will end. Or when the hard
drive's full. I forget which. Boom.

The Mormon genealogy library always reminded me of that old science
fiction story 'The Nine Billion Names of God'. A lot of good research
come out of that database, even though it wasn't what the church elders
saw as the prime function. A lot of folks that follow other flavors of
religion get mighty ticked off about the posthumous conversions thing,
though.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

After all of the above, and savings, whatever is left. ;-) Put another

way,
as long as the obligations are taken care of, it's your money.

Yabbut. How much money is reasonable to keep in a fast access, rainy day
fund? I could only really start enjoying myself knowing that if something
truly bad happened, I'd have some resources to deal with it. That makes the
calculation a bit messy.

They say you should have at least 3X the mortgage payment tucked away, but
trouble often hits much harder than that. I think 30X the mortgage payment
is probably where you can start to feel comfortable enough to plan a Disney
cruise with the kiddies. From what I've seen lately, people have 30X the
monthly mortgage payment in DEBTS, not savings!! I guess the advantage
there is that you can file for bankruptcy and make your fellow citizens eat
the losses in higher prices. )-:

Fortunately, US savings levels, which were at all time lows are starting to
creep back up as people realize how long they might have to fend for
themselves if the breadwinner gets fired and can't find a new job.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep. Exactly so. It's the same here in the UK. I think the
consequenses of getting fired are not as serious here. You certainly
seem to be in the **** in America if it happens.
Personally I have never borrowed money for any purpose & I'm not going
to start now.
I think if you had 30X your mortgage repayment in the bank you'd be
better to pay off some of that mortgage. Obviously keep some back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Amen, brother. I've been poor, as used to be traditional during and
shortly thereafter college. Didn't care for it, gonna try like hell
never to do it again. There were family financial dry spells growing up
as a kid, although we always had a roof and food. Several siblings have
been broke on and off over the years.

Net effect of all this is that I have turned into a bit of a cheap SOB
over the years. I'll never be rich (too much of a mouth to ever play the
corporate game successfully), but I have managed to hold on to a decent
paying job for 30 years. I have enough in the bank to pay the mortgage
for several years (small house, half of what they approved me for), as
well as buy food, plus enough seed money to start over elsewhere if I
had to, at a modest level. Never made a monthly car payment in my
life, and buy my toys off the trailing edge. There are people with
non-working spouses and rug rats that get by (and save regularly) on
less than I do, and I have great respect for that, but the 1/3 pay cut I
would take if I retire as soon as I am eligible scares me to death. If
I could find a job that I actually enjoyed that would make up part of
the difference, it would make the decision to go a lot easier.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

They say you should have at least 3X the mortgage payment tucked away, but
trouble often hits much harder than that. I think 30X the mortgage payment
is probably where you can start to feel comfortable enough to plan a Disney
cruise with the kiddies.

The general discussions on TV and in the books is a minimum of 3
months expenses (ALL expenses) and 6 is better.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's hard to explain. But, after quitting drinking 20 + years ago, all
the little things I barely noticed brought pleasure. A job well done,
being kind to others, finding wisdom in the scriptures. It was as
though my senses had sharpened or something. Or maybe I'd stopped
dulling my senses.

At the moment, my work horse flash light is a Mini-Mag with the one
watt Teralux conversion. Gets used many times a day. Those chargable
spot lights are fun, too. The internal lead acid batteries go dead
after a while.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"FatterDumber& Happier Moe"

wrote in message ...

What do Mormons do for fun? Whatever it is after you have a year's
supply of food stashed away, then go do it with whatever you have
left?
I met a Mormon gal in a bar one time, well she had been a Mormon. A
very nice lady.
My favorite flashlights are the double AA size two batteries with a
decent reflector and krypton bulb, and the million candles
rechargeable
12 volt spot light. That thing lights up the night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And now, you can help out by providing information online.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"harry" wrote in message

I think they collect names on big computer in Salt Lake City. When
they've got everyone's name the world will end. Or when the hard
drive's full. I forget which. Boom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's part of my worries. I'm not sure but what the world economy is
about to collapse. Due in large part to irresponsible spending in
Washingmachine DC.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Green"
wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Net effect of all this is that I have turned into a bit of a cheap SOB
over the years. I'll never be rich (too much of a mouth to ever play
the corporate game successfully), but I have managed to hold on to a
decent paying job for 30 years.

Start your own business.

Many years ago, I decided that if was doomed to work for a fool, it might as
well be me.

Never looked back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Net effect of all this is that I have turned into a bit of a cheap SOB
over the years. I'll never be rich (too much of a mouth to ever play
the corporate game successfully), but I have managed to hold on to a
decent paying job for 30 years.

Start your own business.

Many years ago, I decided that if was doomed to work for a fool, it might as
well be me.

Never looked back.

You missed the line where I said I have 'too much of a mouth?' Running
your own business means dealing with the public, including the idiots. I
already have blood pressure problems. I'm also a soft touch- people who
are good at BS stories prey on people like me. Not saying running your
own business is bad, and I admire people who do. But with age comes
wisdom, and I have learned that my skills (such as they are) lie elsewhere.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote
, but the 1/3 pay cut I would take if I retire as soon as I am eligible
scares me to death. If I could find a job that I actually enjoyed that
would make up part of the difference, it would make the decision to go a
lot easier.

The key is finding a job you like. I have no plans to retire as long as I
have my health and my brains functions normally. I may cut back my hours
in a couple of years though. I guess I'm in a small minority of people that
actually like what they do, enjoy the people I work with.

I have no stress at work. I can come and go as I please. Things like oil
changes, doctor visits, trips to the post office are all done during the
work day. Vacation time? "Take whatever time you want"

When I arrive in the morning, my tea is brewed and waiting. I start my
computer, then have my cup of tea while chatting with Sue for about a half
hour. Then I head out to the shop to see what is going on, stop to greet
every employee along the way. Some people enjoy a difficult crossword
puzzle or Sudoku, but I'd rather put together a challenging production
schedule.

If I was working on an assembly line putting knobs on the passing toasters
or lug nuts on the cars, I'd want to bail out as soon as possible. For me,
going to my job is not work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

You missed the line where I said I have 'too much of a mouth?' Running
your own business means dealing with the public, including the idiots. I
already have blood pressure problems. I'm also a soft touch- people who
are good at BS stories prey on people like me. Not saying running your
own business is bad, and I admire people who do. But with age comes
wisdom, and I have learned that my skills (such as they are) lie elsewhere.

Depend, too, on the business. I am a freelance writer and 99% of my
time is spent with myself. Most of the rest of the time, the
interactions with clients last maybe 10 minutes tops and I can usually
control myself for that amount of time.
Perfect job for surly SOB such as myself (grin).

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2010 7:37 AM, HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

Net effect of all this is that I have turned into a bit of a cheap SOB
over the years. I'll never be rich (too much of a mouth to ever play
the corporate game successfully), but I have managed to hold on to a
decent paying job for 30 years.

Start your own business.

Many years ago, I decided that if was doomed to work for a fool, it might as
well be me.

Never looked back.

Like me, you can fire customers. Some people are impossible to deal
with. I'm always polite when I say, "I'm sorry, I can't do business
with you anymore. Perhaps some other service company would be a much
better match for you." I've had some real ding dongs as customers
and when they open their mouths to me the wrong way, I'll bid them
farewell and I'm suddenly no longer available.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2010 7:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's hard to explain. But, after quitting drinking 20 + years ago, all
the little things I barely noticed brought pleasure. A job well done,
being kind to others, finding wisdom in the scriptures. It was as
though my senses had sharpened or something. Or maybe I'd stopped
dulling my senses.

At the moment, my work horse flash light is a Mini-Mag with the one
watt Teralux conversion. Gets used many times a day. Those chargable
spot lights are fun, too. The internal lead acid batteries go dead
after a while.

I'm glad your faith worked for you. It doesn't work for some people
and there are those who think you're trying to proselytize and push
your religion just because of your little sig which I don't think of
as obnoxious. My Protestant cousins can be so pushy at times that I
want to track down my first grade teacher, Sister Godzilla, the nun
from Hell and turn her loose on them. She might be 100 years old by
now but she could still grab them by the ear or worse. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Being the owner is a whole different skill set. One friend of mine is
out of work, and has been for a couple months. He is a great worker,
but doesn't know how to manage, advertise, and so on. If you can start
and run a business, that's great. Some folks can't.

With your own business, each customer you serve is your boss, for a
period of time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus