Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7/20/2010 8:34 PM, Bill Murphy wrote:
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

It's a local thing:

http://cbs4.com/hurricanepreps/gasol....2.394472.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

My concern is with all the fumes. It won't explode from the sun, but
it would be better out of the sun. Less fumes and less volitable.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Storing gasoline and other highly flammable liquids at home is also
dangerous if not done properly. The best way to store gasoline is in a
well ventilated area separate from the house. The location should have
no electrical equipment, open flames or other sources of ignition
present. In addition, the location should be protected from the heat
of the summer sun to keep evaporation to a minimum.

http://nasdonline.org/document/919/d...lammables.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

"willy" wrote in message
My concern is with all the fumes. It won't explode from the sun, but
it would be better out of the sun. Less fumes and less volitable.

Less expansion & contraction of the containers if out of the sun. I've seen
some plastic jugs which looked like they'd been squeezed by giant hands when
the temp went down.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7/20/2010 2:34 PM, Bill Murphy wrote:
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

Buy an old Caddie or two, fill up the tanks and park it in your back
yard along with your bikes and off-road vehicles. Tell your nosy
neighbor to mind his own business.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Bill Murphy wrote:
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and
off-road vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep
two cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially
inside the house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them.
I said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun
could cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more
than a single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

I'd be more concerned about the buttinsky neighbor than the gasoline.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Bill Murphy wrote:
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

Hi,
First are you using legal explosion proof container to increase safety
margin? Do you smell gas when your car is parked in the garage? Better
be safe than sorry applies here.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:56:49 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:
First are you using legal explosion proof container to increase safety
margin? Do you smell gas when your car is parked in the garage?

To answer your question, I never smell fumes. I'm using those CARB EPA
Blitz gasoline prisons. The gas has been tested to not lose an ounce (they
test loss by weight) even after a year in the sun.

The article referenced says it's safe to store small amounts of gasoline in
the garage or other well ventilated shelter.

It doesn't say anything about transport.

Any ideas what the laws are on transport?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:48:27 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
Buy an old Caddie or two, fill up the tanks and park it in your back
yard along with your bikes and off-road vehicles

In theory, one could remove the 20-gallon gas tank from an automobile
junker, and, assuming all the hoses and caps are intact, store 20 gallons
in the single gas tank unobtrusively along that fence.

Pouring it out would be by adding 12 volts to the fuel pump, I guess.

But I'd wonder about the legality of storing gas in a gas tank. Seems like
that's what it's made for, but, maybe not legal outside the vehicle.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7/20/2010 4:10 PM, Elmo wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:48:27 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
Buy an old Caddie or two, fill up the tanks and park it in your back
yard along with your bikes and off-road vehicles

In theory, one could remove the 20-gallon gas tank from an automobile
junker, and, assuming all the hoses and caps are intact, store 20 gallons
in the single gas tank unobtrusively along that fence.

Pouring it out would be by adding 12 volts to the fuel pump, I guess.

But I'd wonder about the legality of storing gas in a gas tank. Seems like
that's what it's made for, but, maybe not legal outside the vehicle.

How about converting a small car or a golf cart into a small tanker by
replacing the rear seat/trunk area with a gas tank? A hundred gallons
ought to do the trick. As far as the legality of it all, it's probably
best not to ask such things. We want the option of plausible
deniability. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Bill Murphy wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:56:49 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:
First are you using legal explosion proof container to increase safety
margin? Do you smell gas when your car is parked in the garage?

To answer your question, I never smell fumes. I'm using those CARB EPA
Blitz gasoline prisons. The gas has been tested to not lose an ounce (they
test loss by weight) even after a year in the sun.

The article referenced says it's safe to store small amounts of gasoline in
the garage or other well ventilated shelter.

It doesn't say anything about transport.

Any ideas what the laws are on transport?

Hi,
I often use surplus army jerry can filled with gas, propane tak say
going camping. I never keep them in a space like confined trunk. If
you have to keep them in the trunk while in transit, I'd keep the lid
open ajar for venting in case. Worst thing happened to me was overfilled
propane tank started hising releasing gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

"Bill Murphy" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:56:49 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:
First are you using legal explosion proof container to increase safety
margin? Do you smell gas when your car is parked in the garage?

To answer your question, I never smell fumes. I'm using those CARB EPA
Blitz gasoline prisons. The gas has been tested to not lose an ounce (they
test loss by weight) even after a year in the sun.

The article referenced says it's safe to store small amounts of gasoline
in
the garage or other well ventilated shelter.

It doesn't say anything about transport.

Any ideas what the laws are on transport?

Your state or local laws may vary

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=8&L0=Home&L1=Public+Safety+ Agencies&L2=Massachusetts+Department+of+Fire+Servi ces&L3=Department+of+Fire+Services&L4=Office+of+th e+State+Fire+Marshal&L5=Fire+Prevention&L6=Office+ of+the+State+Fire+Marshal+Advisories&L7=2005+Advis ories&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=dfs_osfm_fire_ prevention_adv_av_gas_transportation&csid=Eeops

From: Stephen D. Coan, State Fire Marshal
We are receiving many calls in our office with regard to the transportation
of gasoline in vehicles and whether the use of a "gas-caddy" is legal in the
Commonwealth. As a result of these calls, I am issuing this information.

In accordance with 527 CMR 8.21(5), .gasoline or other flammable petroleum
product may be transported without a permit in any open vehicle or in a
compartment of a closed vehicle separated from passengers, in total quantity
not to exceed 21 gallons, provided such flammable liquid is contained in
approved containers with no individual container exceeding seven gallons
capacity. We request that this information be shared with gas stations in
your area.
Further, the use of "gas-caddys" for the transportation of gasoline and/or
diesel fuel is not allowed in the Commonwealth. The use of "gas-caddys" is
confined to on-site storage at permitted locations

New York State
Safety Bulletin Index - Transporting Gasoline and Diesel Fuel
(Code: SB-96-2, Date: 6/10/96)
Transportation of fuel shall be accomplished by portable fuel cans with a
maximum capacity of 5 gallons each, or cargo fuel tanks. All containers
shall be properly labeled.

Gasoline shall only be transported in approved 5 gallon portable gas cans,
with a limit of four (4) cans per vehicle.

Portable five (5) gallon cans transported on any Department vehicle or
equipment shall be fastened in a vented box, or lashed to the body of the
vehicle with web straps, using eyebolts through the side of the body backed
up by a 3 inch x 3 inch x 3/16 inch steel backing plate. There shall be two
eyebolt anchor points for each can.

Only steel or aluminum Type I or Type II safety cans shall be used to
transport gasoline.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

"Bill Murphy" wrote in message
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

If you are referring to 5 gallon metal jerry can's, that's about all you can
do for them. I would put them in the shade, though. Leaving any breather
opening is an invitation for condensation from the can "breathing" by
getting alternately hot and cold. I would make an effort to "hide" these
from this neighbor, or move them to an area that does not abut his property.
These aren't inherently dangerous or unstable, but scary. Gasoline combusts
at +260C. It would be damn hard to reach that temperature. But, any spark,
slight brush fire, or lightning strike could be disastrous.

I was standing in a screen porch area of my house one time, and lightning
hit the pecan tree out side. It came down the tree, jumped to my truck,
blew off diagonal hubcaps on my truck, jumped to a cow, killing it, fried
the dryer I was standing beside, and killed a TV in another room. So, I can
say, after having lightning strike within 10 feet of me then and three other
times in my life, **it happens.

Is this spot on the fence away from structures, or out in the country, a
hundred feet away from structures? Or is it in a neighborhood, close to the
houses?

For me, it would almost be better to keep it in the garage. And do you use
enough to justify keeping 20 gallons on hand? Do you have a backup power
generator that you need to keep a supply for? And what about Stabil? I
know it's a hassle, but how about filling up the night before the ride?

I used to poo poo the stories of gas catching fire at filling stations, then
I saw videos, and then a guy two aisles over at the gas station did it.
Man, was that scary. So, the guy does have some valid concerns.

And if you DO have a spark and a gas fire/explosion either in your car, your
yard, or in your garage, it's going to be nasty, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IT
MIGHT NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR INSURANCE DUE TO IMPROPER STORAGE OF HAZARDOUS
MATERIALS. Whatever the hell that means. They do have fires at gas
storage yards all the time in the industry, so essentially, there's no safe
way to handle this stuff, and when it's your turn to have an "event", it's
just your turn. You can argue all you want that they were in OSHA MSHA DOT
approved containers, but the fact that there was a fire proves right there
that something was not right.

I wouldn't want my neighbor to put twenty gallons along my fence.
Especially if it is within 100 feet of any structures of mine. **it does
happen. He may be a royal PITA, but he does have somewhat of a point. And
you have to live next door to him. I also personally wouldn't carry that
much gas in the trunk. Too many idiots on the road, and if they rear-end
you, it's going to be nasty. Or there's just a spark from the lights

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 2010-07-21, Bill Murphy wrote:

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

Whatever you do, don't ask a govt agency!

When I still lived in CA, my buddy wanted to buy av-gas for his
stroked HD. The airport, jes down the street, wouldn't sell it to him
until he a).... b).... c)... etc. He then tried to comply with
those requirements and called the Fire Dept for info. It got real
regulatory and really expensive very quickly. Only if stored in yada
yada...! He finally went with low compression heads for his stroker.
CA is real anal about that kinda stuff. I went one better and moved
to CO.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Local grocery store has advantage card program, every month or two i
earn a free tank of gas up to 30 gallons.

I ALWAYS get 30 gallons my van holds near 20 but i dont like to run it
low, gas pump in tank, the gasoline cools the pump. so i try to never
need more than 17 galllons.

which leaves 15 gallons or less to bring home.

i buy gas at nearby station and drive directly home. gasoline goes in
my shed it has power but its well vantilated.and in a fenced in yard.

i have stored over 30 gallons in those 5 gallon plastic cans.

you could use one of those tiny yard storage buildings or a garbage
can over a couple of 5 gallon cans but a weight on top.

life is full of risks its imposible to avoid all of them, far better
to not stress so much.....
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

And if you DO have a spark and a gas fire/explosion either in your car,
your
yard, or in your garage, it's going to be nasty, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IT

Yea, take an example from BP. After all, they are experts at blowing
up gas and oil.

You ignorant slut. Why don't we just take an example from everyday Joe
Average who burns up several houses, gas stations, cars, and businesses a
day from the improper use of gasoline? The business of oil drilling is
hazardous. Anything to do with oil is hazardous. I worked in the oilfields
for ten years. What do you base your statements on? BP is in the business
of providing oil. That's translated to gasoline so you can drive
unnecessarily 65% of the time. It is bad business for them to blow up
anything, which they did not. They were careless, and there was an
accident, just like the OP has the potential to do if he handles gasoline.
Sooner or later, everyone has at least one accident.

Except you, who are perfect.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Ed is offline

And don't forget the possibility of the curious (or destructive) teen
who comes upon these cans and decided to light a match to see what
happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Jul 20, 7:34*pm, Bill Murphy wrote:
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

I would just keep it out of any direct sun, not store it for months as
some volitile components will escape through plastic, degrading the
gas, yes it airtight but not 100% impermiable and be sure you have no
enemies.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Bill Murphy wrote:
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and
off-road vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep
two cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially
inside the house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them.
I said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun
could cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more
than a single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

On transportation - How else is the gas going to get from where it is to
where it needs to be? Perhaps it could miracle itself?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7/20/2010 8:52 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Bill Murphy wrote:
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and
off-road vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep
two cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially
inside the house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them.
I said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun
could cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more
than a single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

I'd be more concerned about the buttinsky neighbor than the gasoline.

amen. tell him to myob

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
dpb dpb is offline

From: Stephen D. Coan, State Fire Marshal

In accordance with 527 CMR 8.21(5), .gasoline or other flammable
petroleum product may be transported without a permit in any open
vehicle or in a compartment of a closed vehicle separated from
passengers, ...

So you can't take gas home to mow the yard if you have only a SUV or
other trunk-less vehicle in MA...

Nanny has struck again.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
dpb dpb is offline

Bill Murphy wrote:

Any ideas what the laws are on transport?

While specifics vary as Ed posted, generally sotoo 20 gal is legal in
DOT-rated transport containers. It's a relatively low hazard but like
anything else, "stuff happens" and in high traffic areas or other
reasons for higher than normal accident probabilities one should be duly
aware.

OTOH, for farm use I keep a 150 gal diesel and 40 gal gasoline transport
tank in the pickup as we have done for 50 yrs or so. Compared to the
1500 gal anhydrous ammonia tank tagging along behind, the fuel risk is
quite benign...

As for the original question on storage, I'd try to make a shaded
location for the storage if you have no shed to minimize the chances of
lifting the safety relief on a hot day of a full can but other than that
I'd have no particular concern, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Roy Roy is offline

Bill Murphy wrote:
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and
off-road vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep
two cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially
inside the house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them.
I said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun
could cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more
than a single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

I'd be more concerned about the buttinsky neighbor than the gasoline.

amen. *tell him to myob

--
Steve Barker

==
Bull****...the neighbor has legitimate concerns. 20 gallons of
gasoline in jerry cans stored in a trunk of a car is NOT safe. If
stored in a locked garden shed isolated from all buildings or fences
it would be much safer but not ideal. Residential areas are not
designed for the storage of volatile liquids especially in the
quantities mentioned. I would not store more than 2 gallons at the
most...this would be adequate for lawnmower and weedeater usage.
People who do what THEY want and disregard OTHERS are just selfish
jerks. I have lived next to these kinds of people in the past and
believe me, it is no picnic.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 6:41*am, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:30:14 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote Re Transporting 20 gallons of
gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air
question:

I wouldn't want my neighbor to put twenty gallons along my fence.
Especially if it is within 100 feet of any structures of mine. ***it does
happen. *He may be a royal PITA, but he does have somewhat of a point. *And
you have to live next door to him. *I also personally wouldn't carry that
much gas in the trunk. *Too many idiots on the road, and if they rear-end
you, it's going to be nasty. *Or there's just a spark from the lights

+1 on that.

-1 on that.

It's been PROVEN time and again that those "gasoline explosions" you
see in movies are not realistic. They are staged using pyrotechnics.

The expose of Dateline NBC's "expose" of the 73-87 GM truck tanks is a
classic example.

In a collision that breaches the fuel tank, the fuel dribbles out on
the ground and nothing happens. The fumes are too concentrated to
ignite, and they quickly dissipate to where there aren't enough fumes
to ignite.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Jul 21, 10:53*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
On transportation - How else is the gas going to get from where it is to
where it needs to be? Perhaps it could miracle itself?

You can transport gas, but only 5 gallons at a time, and only in an
open bed or enclosed trunk.

Of course, unless you load up ten 5-gallon jugs with gas and stack
them in the back of the minivan with the kids, in front of a cop,
nobody will be any the wiser.

Unless you ADVERTISE that you're doing something illegal, nobody is
going to know you're doing something illegal...

Yeah, let's stack a dozen gas cans along the fence where the nosy
neighbor will see them and blow the whistle on you.... That's called
being a MORON.

Too bad common sense isn't common anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-21, Steve B wrote:

wrote in message

-1 on that.

In a collision that breaches the fuel tank, the fuel dribbles out on
the ground and nothing happens. The fumes are too concentrated to
ignite, and they quickly dissipate to where there aren't enough fumes
to ignite.

reply: Well, folks, that's it. mkirsch1 has said it, so it must be so.

mdouche1 has his head up his ass!

Gasoline is one of the most explosive flammables around. It will
ignite easily, it will explode violently. Hence, its overwhelming
popularity as the fuel of choice in internal combustion engines.
NOTHING does it better! (well, nitro

As for you, Steve, you need to enable text quoting in your IE newsreader
thingie. Douche1's text appears the same as your text and is quite
confusing. Not sure how that's done, but I think it's just a radio or
check box in options/preferences or whatever IE calls it.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

There has never been, nor will there ever be an accident where gasoline
being transported has ignited during a crash.

In case you did not read the post, I was not talking about pyrotechnic
gasoline explosions, but the ignition of gasoline vapors during a vehicle
crash.

But, like you said, that never, ever, happens.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-21, Steve B wrote:

wrote in message

-1 on that.

In a collision that breaches the fuel tank, the fuel dribbles out on
the ground and nothing happens. The fumes are too concentrated to
ignite, and they quickly dissipate to where there aren't enough fumes
to ignite.

reply: *Well, folks, that's it. *mkirsch1 has said it, so it must be so.

mdouche1 has his head up his ass!

Gasoline is one of the most explosive flammables around. *It will
ignite easily, it will explode violently. *Hence, its overwhelming
popularity as the fuel of choice in internal combustion engines.
NOTHING does it better! *(well, nitro

1 ounce of gasoline vapor = 1 pound of dynamite- Hide quoted text -

I sure thats 1 gallon of gasolene vapor not 1 ounce
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Roy wrote:

snip
Bull****...the neighbor has legitimate concerns. 20 gallons of
gasoline in jerry cans stored in a trunk of a car is NOT safe. If
stored in a locked garden shed isolated from all buildings or fences
it would be much safer but not ideal. Residential areas are not
designed for the storage of volatile liquids especially in the
quantities mentioned. I would not store more than 2 gallons at the
most...this would be adequate for lawnmower and weedeater usage.
People who do what THEY want and disregard OTHERS are just selfish
jerks. I have lived next to these kinds of people in the past and
believe me, it is no picnic.

My gas mowers, edger's, generator, and so on probably hold more than
30 gallons. I normally keep 15 to 25 gallons on hand all the time to
feed all of those small engines. Most of my gas engines have 2 to 5
gallon gas tanks.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2010 10:55 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:28:44 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

On Jul 21, 6:41 am, Caesar wrote:
[...]

I once witnessed a 36 foot cabin cruiser with twin gasoline inboard
engines, blow up and burn completely to the waterline in a matter of
about 10 minutes from start to finish. It exploded in a fireball
worthy of any James Bond movie.

it did not explode. Not with just gasoline. You may have witnessed a
rapid burning, but not an explosion.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Here's what we used to do to people we didn't like:

1. Turn off the lights in their office.
2. Remove the florescent bulbs
3. Drill a 1/16" hole in the end of the tube (have spares - some will
break).
4. With a funnel, dribble 1 tablespoon of gasoline into the tube.
5. Seal the hole with caulk.
6. Replace tube and leave.

Ever seen a volcano erupt downward?

Was this in your official capacity as a LEO?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-22, Steve Barker wrote:

It is, however, a rapid burning action.

Aren't all explosions?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-22, Steve Barker wrote:

It is, however, a rapid burning action.

Aren't all explosions?

nb

While probably not strickly correct, there are high and low explosives. The
high explosives material go off almost all at once such as the C4. The low
explosives burn very fast, such as black powder.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jul 21, 5:52*pm, Jim Rusling wrote:
Roy wrote:

snipBull****...the neighbor has legitimate concerns. 20 gallons of
[...]

An acreage or small farm will naturally require more maintenance and
of course more gasoline or diesel. I have a 300 gallon gas tank but
the average city lot isn't that large that such reserves are required.
Close neighbors have to be in the equation.
==

back yard tree Dan Espen Home Repair 3 October 15th 08 02:49 AM
back yard tree Don Phillipson[_3_] Home Repair 1 October 15th 08 12:42 AM
back yard tree badgolferman Home Repair 1 October 14th 08 03:17 PM
back yard tree LouB Home Repair 0 October 14th 08 02:20 PM
sunken back yard Chris Home Repair 2 November 15th 06 10:49 PM