Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in yourback yard in the open air question

On 2010-07-21,
wrote:

1 ounce of gasoline vapor = 1 pound of dynamite

I've never seen a direct equivalency, but as an ex-fireman, I'm well
aware of it's potency. The number of ppl who've died or suffered
horrible burns using gasoline as a cleaning solvent are legion. Bad
mojo, indeed.

nb

I've often seen it expressed as 1 ounce of gasoline vapor = 20 sticks
of dynamite, as well. I believe for gaoline to "explode" by technical
specifications, it must be compressed vapor.

If the gasoline vapor is not confined and/or compressed, it creates a
fireball, but probably not an explosion. To the person in close
proximity, that probably won't make much difference. They will be in
deep trouble.

even compressed in a perfect mixture (ie gasoline engine) it STILL does
not explode. It is, however, a rapid burning action.

--
Steve Barker