Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unsticking a frozen back brake cable

....on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 11:31*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. *It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

cable may be frayed, i would just replace the cable. better safe than
sorry
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote the following:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

New brake cable.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
zxcvbob wrote the following:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

New brake cable.

Thirded, they're only a few bucks. If you bring in the old housings, the
bike shop can cut you some new ones the same length for an extra couple of
dollars.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

We have a militant contingent of WD-40 detractors in a.h.r., but the can
says it "loosens rusted parts" and "frees sticky mechanisms," and it
does, for me, every time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
zxcvbob wrote the following:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

New brake cable.

Does not cost much either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look rusty,
but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

What we used to use back in the motorcycle days is soak in acetone, and try
to work it loose. Most times, though, it needed replaced. What is great is
to take the whole cable out of the housing, but then you have to cut it,
making a clean cut, and then to reinsert it all the way through, you have to
solder the end to make it smooth enough to pass through the housing without
catching. A lot of times, unless it was a specialty rare cable, or
expensive, it was just easier to replace the whole thing.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:35:29 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

We have a militant contingent of WD-40 detractors in a.h.r., but the can
says it "loosens rusted parts" and "frees sticky mechanisms," and it
does, for me, every time.

Sounds good to me.

Once you get the cable oving in the sheath a little bit, it will work
completely loose very quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , zxcvbob wrote:
....on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

PB-Blaster works a lot better than either of those. But IMHO you're better off
just replacing the cable -- it's only a few bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:

...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

PB Blaster-

But replacement is the smart move.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

The one time I did this, used liquid wrench. Position the bike so that
one end of the cable sticks straight up. Expect to be there for a
while, with the little dripper can. But, the cable did free up.

I've also got a balky cable for my Blazer. For that, I used a 1 cc
syringe, with 25 ga x 5/8 needle. Pull the plunger out, and filled the
syringe with silicone spray. Inject under the boot, at the end of the
cable. Pump the parking brake pedal and release, five times every time
I get in the truck. When I can remember. Seems to be helping.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
....on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future freeze ups.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future freeze ups.

over time wd 40 residue turns to sticky goo...........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/16/2010 8:35 AM, LSMFT wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future freeze ups.

Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light aromatics
will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:31:41 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

Probably stuck near the ends. PB-Blaster works here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future freeze ups.

Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light aromatics
will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Nonsense. There isn't any "sticky stuff" in WD-40, and it is a lubricant. Not
a very good one, I'll grant you, but it is a lubricant. The MSDS

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

shows that it's somewhere between 17 and 25 percent oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 06:23:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future freeze ups.

over time wd 40 residue turns to sticky goo...........

How long a time? I'm still waiting for the 150 yr old clock that I
'cleaned' with WD40 in 1983 & only wind up every couple of years to
stop keeping good time.

From what I can see- no goo & no dust.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future
freeze ups.

Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light aromatics
will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Motor oil and axle grease are likewise "sticky stuff."

As an aside, WD-40 does as good a job of shining a stainless steel sink as
the products made for that purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob
WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future freeze ups.

Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light aromatics
will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Nonsense. There isn't any "sticky stuff" in WD-40, and it is a lubricant. Not
a very good one, I'll grant you, but it is a lubricant. The MSDS

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

shows that it's somewhere between 17 and 25 percent oil.

If it has fish oil or vegetable oil in it, it'll get sticky as it
oxidizes. If it's all mineral oil or lard oil, it won't. I'm not
sure that it matters for this application.

I need something that will penetrate and will lubricate a little so I
can get the cable to move in the housing. Then I'll probably pull it
out and inspect it, and then not be able to get it back in.

PB Blaster, huh? Do I get that at a gun shop or Ace Hardware or an
auto parts store?

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Whatever you use, follow it with an oil chaser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob
WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future
freeze ups.

Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light aromatics
will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Motor oil and axle grease are likewise "sticky stuff."

As an aside, WD-40 does as good a job of shining a stainless steel
sink as the products made for that purpose.

And makes the kitchen smell to good?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , zxcvbob wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , George

zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob
WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future freeze ups.

Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light aromatics
will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Nonsense. There isn't any "sticky stuff" in WD-40, and it is a lubricant. Not

a very good one, I'll grant you, but it is a lubricant. The MSDS

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

shows that it's somewhere between 17 and 25 percent oil.

If it has fish oil or vegetable oil in it, it'll get sticky as it
oxidizes.

It doesn't, so it won't. Did you look at the MSDS?

If it's all mineral oil or lard oil, it won't. I'm not
sure that it matters for this application.

I need something that will penetrate and will lubricate a little so I
can get the cable to move in the housing. Then I'll probably pull it
out and inspect it, and then not be able to get it back in.

PB Blaster, huh? Do I get that at a gun shop or Ace Hardware or an
auto parts store?

I wouldn't expect to find it at a gun shop, but yes to the others. WalMart
too, maybe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:

I need something that will penetrate and will lubricate a little so I
can get the cable to move in the housing. Then I'll probably pull it
out and inspect it, and then not be able to get it back in.

PB Blaster, huh? Do I get that at a gun shop or Ace Hardware or an auto
parts store?

Bob

If you already have WD40 just use it. The advantages of other products
for this application aren't worth a trip to the store. If the casing
itself isn't starting to crack and the visible parts of the cable, both
ends and an inch or so inside the casing are good shape, it is probably
safe to reuse. If you do, be sure to check the parts of the cable
hidden by the brake lever frequently and carefully to make sure the
cable isn't starting to come apart or fray at that end. As others have
said, you will need to grease the cable too.

--Betsy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Betsy" wrote \

If you already have WD40 just use it. The advantages of other products
for this application aren't worth a trip to the store.

I can see you haven't ever used PB Blaster, and are totally uninformed. I
have put it on "frozen" bolts, and left it overnight. The next day, I could
have gotten it loose with my hands, but chose to use light pressure from a
wrench, pliers, or visegrips.

You should try something before you comment on it.

Kroil is good, too.

And both are the kinds of things that a can of it lasts five years, but when
you need it, nothing else will do.

Like an impact driver.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

WD-40 is more than up to this challenge.

Totally agree, but you won't convince SteveB of that. He believes WD-40
is an adhesive.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 15, 11:31*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. *It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

Just go to a bike shop and buy a new cable. Seriously, it's not worth
fighting with it. The better ones are now made of stainless and still
aren't any more expensive than a can of penetrating oil. Make sure
you get some ferrules and also when you cut the housing, make sure you
dress the housing end flat with either a file or a bench grinder.

good luck

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

Any automotive store, It's the strongest and the fastest rust killer.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
zxcvbob wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

Smitty Two thinks it makes a good asthma inhaler. He likes the garlic
flavored one.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 08:35:34 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob

WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future freeze ups.

Not as much lubrication as liquid wrench - and PB leaves even more.
Best bet is to use a penetrant to free it up, and a lubricant to
protect and lubricate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob
WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future
freeze ups.

Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light aromatics
will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Motor oil and axle grease are likewise "sticky stuff."

As an aside, WD-40 does as good a job of shining a stainless steel sink as
the products made for that purpose.

I worked at a defense plant back in 1971 that produced artillery shell
safety devices. The round had to spin so many times before it would arm.
The clockwork mechanisms of the devices were lubed with WD-40 on the
production line. I suppose it was also used to protect the devices in
case of moisture intrusion.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Then, wait six more months, and tell us what you find.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light aromatics
will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Try a little experiment: spray some WD-40 onto a piece of clean glass
and let it sit in the sun until it evaporates. Then tell report back
what remains.

HINT: it won't be sticky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, him and his girlfriend. Ouch! Good thing they had that cordless
phone nearby.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
wrote:

WD-40 is more than up to this challenge.

Totally agree, but you won't convince SteveB of that. He believes
WD-40
is an adhesive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , George

zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

WalMart does have it,that's where I bought mine.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 7/17/2010 2:39 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
4...
Smitty wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

In ,
wrote:

WD-40 is more than up to this challenge.

Totally agree, but you won't convince SteveB of that. He believes WD-40
is an adhesive.

no,it's just not worthwhile to use. and it does gum up over time.

--
Jim Yanik

I doubt you'll convince SmittyTwo of that. His mind seems to be made up.
And you may not have any other opinion than his.

But, I do agree. WD40 is for temporary lubrication, cleaning, and other
uses, but it does gum up over time, or is just a sand magnet.

Steve

ACTUALLY, it's not a lubricant at all. It's a water displacer.

And it is certainly not a penetrating oil.

--
Steve Barker

Well, I know that and YOU know that but .........

I got a thing a while back about 99 uses for WD 40. Some of them were quite
unique, and I'd like to find it again and print it. One of the things was
wasp bites. If I get any this summer, I'll be trying it. I got stung one
day last summer by five of the lovely little creatures. All at once. Ow!

My BIL told me a story of how he used it at banks he did service work at to
"rejuvenate" the granite tops. He saw that the lady was watching him,
trying to find out the secret. She asked him what it was, and he just told
her, "Oh, you have to have a federal license to buy this particular stuff."
Made some nice bucks just with some liquid WD 40 and a terrycloth towel.

Steve

visit my blog at
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com