Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Unsticking a frozen back brake cable

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , George
wrote:
On 7/16/2010 8:35 AM, LSMFT wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob
WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future
freeze ups.

Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light aromatics
will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Nonsense. There isn't any "sticky stuff" in WD-40, and it is a
lubricant. Not a very good one, I'll grant you, but it is a lubricant.
The MSDS

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

shows that it's somewhere between 17 and 25 percent oil.

my experience is that WD-40 gums up. it's also a poor penetrant.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik