Posted to alt.home.repair
betsy betsy is offline

Default Unsticking a frozen back brake cable

zxcvbob wrote:

I need something that will penetrate and will lubricate a little so I
can get the cable to move in the housing. Then I'll probably pull it
out and inspect it, and then not be able to get it back in.

PB Blaster, huh? Do I get that at a gun shop or Ace Hardware or an auto
parts store?

Bob

If you already have WD40 just use it. The advantages of other products
for this application aren't worth a trip to the store. If the casing
itself isn't starting to crack and the visible parts of the cable, both
ends and an inch or so inside the casing are good shape, it is probably
safe to reuse. If you do, be sure to check the parts of the cable
hidden by the brake lever frequently and carefully to make sure the
cable isn't starting to come apart or fray at that end. As others have
said, you will need to grease the cable too.

--Betsy