Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HD Cable Converter Box & Frozen Video

Background: In an attempt to solve a problem I've been having with my
standard cable TV converter, TWC sent me an HD converter - Scientific
Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC. They think my problems stemmed from a
memory problem in their standard converter. There's 8Mb in a standard
box, 16Mb in an HD box. I do not have HD service or an HDTV.

Curent Issue: The first thing I noticed is that when I tune to any
station, the video is frozen for a split second and then movement
begins. It lasts just long enough to be noticable. This did not occur
with my standard box. Due to my ongoing problems, I've been given a
telephone number that takes me directly into Level 3 support. I called
the rep/tech and asked if this was normal for an HD converter. He said
it was, as long as it was for a split second and did not increase.

Can anyone verify that this is normal for an HD converter?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Tried different TV set?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

My Panasonic plasma set does it. New Sharp LCD 45" does not do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:25:24 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Background: In an attempt to solve a problem I've been having with my
standard cable TV converter, TWC sent me an HD converter - Scientific
Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC. They think my problems stemmed from a
memory problem in their standard converter. There's 8Mb in a standard
box, 16Mb in an HD box. I do not have HD service or an HDTV.

Curent Issue: The first thing I noticed is that when I tune to any
station, the video is frozen for a split second and then movement
begins. It lasts just long enough to be noticable. This did not occur
with my standard box. Due to my ongoing problems, I've been given a
telephone number that takes me directly into Level 3 support. I called
the rep/tech and asked if this was normal for an HD converter. He said
it was, as long as it was for a split second and did not increase.

Can anyone verify that this is normal for an HD converter?

Yes it is normal. My girlfriend has HD via TWC and I notice the same
anomaly.

Your "standard" box was probably analog.
The new, so called HD box,
is digital. It's probably not HD, but
probably digital. What you describe
is pretty common in the digital world.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It's probably just a processing delay in the digital to
analog conversion. Many types of equipment that process
D/A or A/D signals can have a noticeable delay in output.
A potable "no skip" CD player is a good example. It will
buffer the data from the laser disk reader into memory
so it can reread the disk and correct for errors before
it can output a smooth analog signal. If you have ever
noticed digital artifacts on your TV screen, the odd stops
and strange rectangles breaking up the picture, you're
seeing what the processor is trying to prevent. You also
have to consider delay caused by decoding scrambled signals.

Another thing to consider is the quality of your incoming
signal. A low signal, bad or noisy cable connection can
also cause problems. Has a cable company tech ever come to
your home and checked the signal level and quality?

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I mostly notice the delay effect when our family room TV, fed by a HD box,
is playing the same channel as my computer in the next room, which does not
have an HD box. It is like an echo, the delay is a fraction of a second.

Also be aware that Scientific Atlanta cable boxes are some of the cheapest
boxes available. This is what our cable company supplies, they are full of
bugs and certain models have even more problems and frequently fail.

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Aug, 10:19, Art Todesco wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

is pretty common in the digital world.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, but the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC is HD. My old
"standard" box was digital but the new box is HD. Look he
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/pro...orer4200hd.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

[8~{} Uncle Monster- Hide quoted text -

- It is like an echo, the delay is a fraction of a second.

That is not the "delay" I am asking about. The one you are speaking of
is the normal delay between sets attached directly to the cable
vs.those going through a settop box.

I am talking about an actual freezeing of the video as soon as a
channel appears on the TV. Essentially a still picture is displayed
first and then very quickly becomes active.

Video through RF cable no longer works Bozlo Electronics Repair 5 August 18th 06 06:25 PM
broken pins on s-video cable [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 August 8th 06 11:50 PM
build a video cable werwer Electronics 2 December 26th 05 10:29 PM
Video & Data cable run Ray Home Repair 7 May 7th 05 05:13 AM
s-video to vga converter James O'Donnell Electronics Repair 1 December 15th 04 04:48 AM