Ray

Default Video & Data cable run

I'd like to run phone, video, intercom and data out to a workshop in my
backyard that is approximately 200 feet away from the house. This would all
be run in the same conduit.

Can I run cat 5 to use for data and intercom and run a separate dedicated
phone line. The coaxial cable would be used only for TV.

Would this be the optimum way to run, or what can be suggested ??

p.s. If this is not the appropriate forum, please direct me to it !

Thanks,

Brian

I would run
1 for Data
1 could spilt between phone and intercom

Some seal it in pvc but it does get wet and over time needs replaced. What I
would do.

I've also heard of burying the cable without anything. Not something I
would do though. This is usually done when sharing internet with the
neighbor.

--

---------------------------------------
Brian A. Dye

http://tech-home.com
---------------------------------------

"Ray" wrote in message
I'd like to run phone, video, intercom and data out to a workshop in my
backyard that is approximately 200 feet away from the house. This would
all
be run in the same conduit.

Can I run cat 5 to use for data and intercom and run a separate dedicated
phone line. The coaxial cable would be used only for TV.

Would this be the optimum way to run, or what can be suggested ??

p.s. If this is not the appropriate forum, please direct me to it !

Thanks,

hgawluk

You can split the pairs of the CAT5 cable. Technically you only use the
green and orange pairs (pins 1,2,3 and 6 on an 8-pin jack) for ethernet
anyway. I've hooked up CAT5 on green and orange pairs and telephone on the
blue pair (center pins) of a second jack. Intercom, I'm not sure if the
guage is adequate but you can certainly try it on the brown pair. If not
pull the intercom cable seperate. When you pull in the cables pull in a back
string in case you have/want to add any other cables later. A little
waterbased lubricant makes it slide through nice. I would however recommend
outdoor grease filled CAT5 cable if there is any doubt about the conduit
being water proof. The cable is not that expensive. Try an electrical
wholesaler as apposed to home depot, building box or whatever. Good luck.

"Ray" wrote in message
I'd like to run phone, video, intercom and data out to a workshop in my
backyard that is approximately 200 feet away from the house. This would

all
be run in the same conduit.

Can I run cat 5 to use for data and intercom and run a separate dedicated
phone line. The coaxial cable would be used only for TV.

Would this be the optimum way to run, or what can be suggested ??

p.s. If this is not the appropriate forum, please direct me to it !

Thanks,

HorneTD

Ray wrote:
I'd like to run phone, video, intercom and data out to a workshop in my
backyard that is approximately 200 feet away from the house. This would all
be run in the same conduit.

Can I run cat 5 to use for data and intercom and run a separate dedicated
phone line. The coaxial cable would be used only for TV.

Would this be the optimum way to run, or what can be suggested ??

p.s. If this is not the appropriate forum, please direct me to it !

Thanks,

I would suggest that you run the data line in a separate cable from the
telephone or intercom. Having the telephone and intercom in the same
cable should be OK though. You should install network protectors on
both ends of your communications wiring and a grounding block of both
ens of the coaxial cable. Those should all be bonded to the houses
electrical grounding electrode system and the workshops electrical
grounding electrode system. There are whole building protectors that
are designed to bring all of those together in one place and provide
surge and spike protection at the same time.
--
Tom H
Les Wilson

There are direct-burial variety of cables for these various needs - most
large home centers stock it. Keep the data, phone and intercom separate
from each other - run separate lines for each to minimize interference.
They can co-exist with each other in the same conduit without any problems.

I'd personally go with a wireless solution. It costs a little more up
front - but in the end makes for a much simpler installation. You can do
wireless for data, phone and intercom.

Data: 802.11b/g access point in the house, 802.11b/g ethernet card in the
PC in the workshop... depending on the equipment you can purchase
directional antennae to put in place of the little 3" antennas this stuff
comes with (most consumer grade stuff is good for about 300'). Should be
line-of-sight between house and workshop (in other words - no big hills in
the way). There are also units out there that'll send voice/data through
house electrical wiring (look up "HomePlug" on the internet).

Phone: Cordless phone with the base in the house and a remote charging unit
in the workshop will work fine. Most have sufficient range for that
distance. Should be line-of-sight between house and workshop. Can also run
voice over your electric lines (i.e., GE InstaJack).

Intercom: You can buy ones that you plug into the wall outlet and the
signal would travel through the house electrical wiring. No wires to run.
Or grab a pair of FRS base radios (not the walkie talkies - but you can also
use those as well). Some cordless phones also double as an intercom as
well.

Caveat with running this stuff through your electrical is that if the
workshop is on a different meter/service, that none of this stuff will work.
In that case, you'd have to go with wireless data, phone and that FRS
solution. Otherwise, start digging a trench and buying up 200' of 3/4" ID
conduit, couplings, PVC cement, assorted cabling, etc...

TV: Going wireless for that is tricky (and expensive). Buy some
direct-burial quad-shield RG-6 cable... same stuff the cable companies use
to bring the service from the pole to the house, doesn't require a conduit
to run through.. Other solution is to get a satellite dish for the
workshop - but that'd be another monthly bill for you.

"Ray" wrote in message
I'd like to run phone, video, intercom and data out to a workshop in my
backyard that is approximately 200 feet away from the house. This would

all
be run in the same conduit.

Can I run cat 5 to use for data and intercom and run a separate dedicated
phone line. The coaxial cable would be used only for TV.

Would this be the optimum way to run, or what can be suggested ??

p.s. If this is not the appropriate forum, please direct me to it !

Thanks,

MC

There may be a couple of issues here.

Even if you put in conduit, use burial cable anyway, condensation and water
can seep into buried conduits.

The TV cable, I would use RG-6. However depending on what you are driving
the signal from may need head-end amplification first for that distance.

Data, use cat 5 or better, Maximum length for data is going to be 325 feet,
and degrades for every piece of network gear and patching you use. Do not
splice but only use data grade jacks/patch panels. We only run a maximum of
285 feet in most commercial buildings due to the added patch cabling usually
used from the network jack to the PC or other equipment. Do not use standard
phone line protectors on data cabling, use data rated protectors, usually
rated for lower voltage that use for the phone lines which has to be rated
for the higher ring voltages.

On the phone lines, use cat 5 also, most would say is not needed for phones
but can run together with data wiring and help not interfere with the data
also. We run many phone and data bundled together in commercial buildings
without any problems as long as both are cat 5 at least (most data these
days are cat5e or cat 6)

for the intercom, use a shielded paired wire cable, how ever many pairs
required for your system (most are two wire these days)

Also as mentioned before in this discussion, could have problems if the
house and other building are on different power sources and not from the
house. The ground differential can blow many electronics on the phone/data
line connections during any electrical surge/ lightening no matter how much
protection you install. If that is the case, then fiber may be the better
choice for data, can be used with the other services but the converters are
expensive and may have to get from a commercial source. Wireless may seem to
be an affordable option then.

"Les Wilson" wrote in message
There are direct-burial variety of cables for these various needs - most
large home centers stock it. Keep the data, phone and intercom separate
from each other - run separate lines for each to minimize interference.
They can co-exist with each other in the same conduit without any

problems.

I'd personally go with a wireless solution. It costs a little more up
front - but in the end makes for a much simpler installation. You can do
wireless for data, phone and intercom.

Dave

Ray wrote:
I'd like to run phone, video, intercom and data out to a
workshop in my backyard that is approximately 200 feet
away from the house. This would all be run in the same
conduit. [...]

What the heck kind of data? Video from where?

Time-expired cable? CRB UK diy 9 December 2nd 04 11:07 PM
Lov Voltage lighting cable size rupertb UK diy 3 September 23rd 04 11:47 AM
Low Voltage lighting cable size rupertb UK diy 1 September 22nd 04 12:05 PM
HELP tuning video belmont5 UK diy 8 September 28th 03 06:56 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM