belmont5

Default HELP tuning video

Earlier this week we bought a new widescreen TV & I am having great problems
trying to tune the VCR.

I have connected the new TV, VCR & skybox as shown in the skybox manual i.e.
terrestrial aerial & satellite aerial to skybox, two scart cables from
skybox, one to TV & the other to VCR, RF cable from skybox to VCR & RF cable
from VCR to TV.

I have tuned the five terrestrial channels & sky to the new TV & can use the
Sky remote to switch between TV & Satellite no problem.

I have tried tuning the VCR to the TV by setting the TV to channel 8 &
playing a video in the VCR while automatically scanning on the tuning menu,
it picks up everything but the video. I have also noticed that when
the remote is set to Sky then I can switch the VCR on ok yet when I switch
the VCR on when the remote is set to TV then Channel 6 which is where Sky is
tuned to becomes unwatchable due to interference.

Hope you can understand this. Thanks for looking & I hope someone might be
able to help.

Cheers

Jamie.

Sparks

I have tried tuning the VCR to the TV by setting the TV to channel 8 &
playing a video in the VCR while automatically scanning on the tuning

menu,
it picks up everything but the video.

Your video player may not have an RF modulator fitted, this means it will
record off the terrestrial, or RF, but cant rebroadcast the signal back down
the aerial cable to your TV (it will however pass through any signals that
enter the VCR via the aerial.

I have also noticed that when
the remote is set to Sky then I can switch the VCR on ok yet when I switch
the VCR on when the remote is set to TV then Channel 6 which is where Sky

is
tuned to becomes unwatchable due to interference.

Providing you have a SCART cable connected from your Sky box to your TV, you
want to be watching both sky broadcasts and video tapes via this, and not
through a tuned channel - you will get a much better quality picture, and
better sound via the SCART (Try turning on your SKY box, and then changing
the TV to AV1 (usually a square box with an arrow pointing into it on the
remote control)

If this works, then try to turn off the Sky box, keep it on the AV "channel"
and then play a video - In theory, the signal should go from the VCR,
through the off sky box, and then into your TV

Hope you can understand this. Thanks for looking & I hope someone might be
able to help.

Hope this helps!

Sparks...

Roger Mills

"belmont5" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

As someone else has said, I'm not sure why you are using RF tuning when you
appear to have direct video connections via Scart. However, if you *do* need
RF (e.g. to distribute to other sets around the house) the chances are that
your sky box and your VCR are outputting on the same (or maybe adjacent)
channels, so that they interfere with each other. If this is the case, you
will need to change the output channel on one or other of them - but be
careful not to tune it too close to any of the terrestrial channels. [I'm
talking here about the UHF frequency channels - all of which are in the
range 21-68 - NOT the programme channel (1, 2, ... 6, ... 8 etc.) on your
remote control]

HTH,
Roger

BigWallop

"belmont5" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Hi Jamie,

Remove everything from the equation except the TV and VCR. Plug your
antenna into the VCR then out to your TV. Put the VCR on its test signal,
then tune the TV to it. You now know the TV is picking up the VCR.

Now tune in the channels on the VCR. There, that's that bit done. You now
know the VCR is picking up all the channels available to it through the
ariel.

Next, you'll have to bring in the Sky Box, but make sure you only plug the
ariel into them, i.e. Ariel to VCR then out to Sky Box, then out of Sky Box
to the TV.

Now put the Sky Box on its test signal and tune the TV to it. Now this if
where the fighting might start. The usual TV setting for peripheral
appliances is channel 39 on the TV and both your Sky Box and VCR may both be
set to this frequency, so it is your choice of which unit you select to give
a different output. Usually the VCR's are the easiest, so take a look in
the VCR instruction manual on how to change to RF output to a different TV
channel.

If you can, try to set the VCR output to somewhere around the 45 - 46 mark
and then re-tune the TV back in to it.

You should now be able to switch the TV between the VCR and Sky Box with no
problems.

Now it's just a case of putting the SCART leads in place as the instruction
says and everything should be hunky dorry. :-))

A bit long winded, but I hope it helps a bit.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BillR

BigWallop wrote:
"belmont5" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

And check here for channels used and for clashes
http://developer.domaindlx.com/diyha...lectRegion.asp

Martin

"belmont5" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Find a Five year old, from experience they're naturals with videos.

Bob Minchin

BillR wrote:

BigWallop wrote:
"belmont5" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Bill,

What is this site supposed to do?

I get
Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0400'

Expected statement

/diyha/scripts/SelectRegion.asp, line 7

Option Explicit
^

when I try it.

Bob

L Reid

"belmont5" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Hmmm.

I have a different set-up, but before I tell you what it is, it'd be useful
to know what scart sockets you have available (e.g. 2 x Video, 2 x TV (11
RGB + 1 SVideo), 2 x Sky box).

I have a slighly different set-up (as I also have a DVD player added to the
mix) but this is how my set-up works:

For scart cables : Output of Cable box Input on Video. Output of Video via
scart to scart input 2 on Telly. DVD connects straight from output to tv
scart input 1 (not that that will be of any interest to you). This set up
should allow you to watch Sky via your a/v channel on your video (which
should give you as clear a picture as the direct connection, plus you get
the best picture quality for recording programmes).

For RF cables : Firstly, check (via scart display) that the video and sky
box are both set up to transmit an RF signal. Quite a few new fangled boxes
these days have the option to switch off RF and just have the scart output.
Go with your original set-up : ariel into skybox, skybox into video and
video into telly. Normally boxes don't send out a signal unless they're
switched on, so start with all the boxes (video and skybox, not telly) off
and check telly is tuned in OK? Fine? Switch on video and set telly to a/v
channel (i.e. video scart). Check all channels OK. Whack a tape in (or
ideally use the test signal as this is more obvious) and select the channel
you want to tune in to. Newer telly's allow you to enter channel no's so you
should be able to key in the video channel directly. If not, scan about for
it. I suspect it might be around the 35 - 39 range unless you've previously
changed it. If you can't find it at-all, (but you can see it on scart and
the RF modulator's enabled) I'd say your RF modulator's shot. Try
disconnecting the ariel to make sure the video's not hiding behind channel
5. Hopefully now you have a TV and Video capable of picking up channels.
Switch on the Skybox, switch off video and select video channel (RF not
scart), if you can see the skybox channels, video and sky are broadcasting
on the same frequency and you'll need to change one (probably video). If
not, select a clean channel and tune in skybox. All should now be
hunkey-dorey, though you might also want to tune in one video RF channel
into the skybox.

HTH,

Leigh

Dave Plowman

In article m,
belmont5 wrote:
I have tried tuning the VCR to the TV by setting the TV to channel 8 &
playing a video in the VCR while automatically scanning on the tuning
menu, it picks up everything but the video. I have also noticed
that when the remote is set to Sky then I can switch the VCR on ok yet
when I switch the VCR on when the remote is set to TV then Channel 6
which is where Sky is tuned to becomes unwatchable due to interference.

Sounds like the VCR RF output frequency is the same as that of the Sky box.
Try unplugging the aerial feed from the STB to the VCR and see if you can
then pick up the VCR tuning signal.

But as others have said, you shouldn't be using an RF connection for
either STB or VCR - you'll lose the stereo sound apart from possibly also
picture quality.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn