Posted to alt.home.repair
Uncle Monster Uncle Monster is offline

Default HD Cable Converter Box & Frozen Video

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Background: In an attempt to solve a problem I've been having with my
standard cable TV converter, TWC sent me an HD converter - Scientific
Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC. They think my problems stemmed from a
memory problem in their standard converter. There's 8Mb in a standard
box, 16Mb in an HD box. I do not have HD service or an HDTV.

Curent Issue: The first thing I noticed is that when I tune to any
station, the video is frozen for a split second and then movement
begins. It lasts just long enough to be noticable. This did not occur
with my standard box. Due to my ongoing problems, I've been given a
telephone number that takes me directly into Level 3 support. I called
the rep/tech and asked if this was normal for an HD converter. He said
it was, as long as it was for a split second and did not increase.

Can anyone verify that this is normal for an HD converter?

Thanks!

It's probably just a processing delay in the digital to
analog conversion. Many types of equipment that process
D/A or A/D signals can have a noticeable delay in output.
A potable "no skip" CD player is a good example. It will
buffer the data from the laser disk reader into memory
so it can reread the disk and correct for errors before
it can output a smooth analog signal. If you have ever
noticed digital artifacts on your TV screen, the odd stops
and strange rectangles breaking up the picture, you're
seeing what the processor is trying to prevent. You also
have to consider delay caused by decoding scrambled signals.

Another thing to consider is the quality of your incoming
signal. A low signal, bad or noisy cable connection can
also cause problems. Has a cable company tech ever come to
your home and checked the signal level and quality?

[8~{} Uncle Monster