Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Unsticking a frozen back brake cable

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , George

wrote:
On 7/16/2010 8:35 AM, LSMFT wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look
rusty, but that's probably what it is.

Liquid Wrench, or WD-40?

Bob
WD-40, it will leave behind some lubrication to prevent future
freeze ups.

Unless they have recently changed the formulation the light
aromatics will evaporate leaving sticky stuff behind. WD40 isn't a
lubricant.

Nonsense. There isn't any "sticky stuff" in WD-40, and it is a
lubricant. Not

a very good one, I'll grant you, but it is a lubricant. The MSDS

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

shows that it's somewhere between 17 and 25 percent oil.

If it has fish oil or vegetable oil in it, it'll get sticky as it
oxidizes.

It doesn't, so it won't. Did you look at the MSDS?

If it's all mineral oil or lard oil, it won't. I'm not
sure that it matters for this application.

I need something that will penetrate and will lubricate a little so I
can get the cable to move in the housing. Then I'll probably pull it
out and inspect it, and then not be able to get it back in.

PB Blaster, huh? Do I get that at a gun shop or Ace Hardware or an
auto parts store?

I wouldn't expect to find it at a gun shop, but yes to the others.
WalMart too, maybe.

WalMart does have it,that's where I bought mine.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik