Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rain drainage solution

I posted about this an age ago and people asked for pictures. Now
that construction is moving forward I finally have some.

Here's my issue. I have a section between two dormers that is
essentially marooned from a guttering pov. Look at the pic and it will
make sense. Rain falls down that middle section straight in front of
the garage and splashes onto/underneath/thru the sides of the doors.
I have to do something to keep the rain away from the front of the
garage doors. Here are the options I am considering:

1. Running guttering straight down from the middle section to the
space between the middle and right garage opening - not very favorable
as I think it will look odd with the pipe coming down in the middle of
the wall and it will mean having to lose the exterior light in that
space (not in the pic but there are lights either side of each garage
door)

2. Same as 1 except jog the downspout from the middle section off to
the right of the garage doors (where it can probably join one coming
down from the right hand section). This too, I think, will be pretty
ugly

3. Use a rain diverter to keep as much rain as possible out of the
middle section - would have to be high up to channel to the sides of
the dormers....would probably only address half or less of the water.
Another concern would be it getting ripped off with heavy snows as
they slip down in a thaw.

4. Build some form of canopy above the doors to protect them from the
rain. This is looking like my favorite option right now, but I'm
struggling to think of a good way to do this that will not look odd.
The most obvious way I guess is to build an "eyebrow" all the way
across with an overhang the same or slightly more than the one above
on the main roof, and add guttering. I've googled around but not
found many other decent solutions.

Any ideas anyone has will be greatly appreciate. As it is today I get
a lot rain splashing into the garage doors and into the garage. I can
improve the seals under the doors etc, but I don't think that's ever
going to be a proper solution.

TIA

http://s793.photobucket.com/albums/yy211/cubbybrockley/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2010 3:54 PM cubby spake thus:

[...]

The added overhang idea sounds like a good one, provided it's designed
to harmonize with the rest of the house on that side. Shouldn't be a
huge planning job; do you have an architect? If so, they should be able
to quickly knock out some renderings so you can see what it would look like.

That would probably be the best solution, at least drainage-wise. The
other ideas of running downspouts from the three sections (you need
drainage from all three, not just the middle one) would be less building
cost but more downspouts, elbows, etc. But even that shouldn't look that
bad, assuming the downspouts are painted the same color as the wall. But
the canopy over the doors would look more finished, as if you had
designed it in from the get-go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

I have always felt that the simple way is the best way. I'd put a
gutter on the facia between the two dormers with downspouts running
down the two dividers between the left and center and right and
center. See if you can find some plastic gutters and downspouts the
same color as the house and after a day or so you'll not even notice
them. And neither will anyone else normally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't worry about it looking odd - the off-center dormers and the
structures being taller on the left than the right already do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Here is a possible solution. Instead of a gutter, consider a
dispersion system to distribute the water over a wider area so it is
less likely to splash under your doors. One such product is
Rainhandler (www.rainhandler.com). I have never used this product but
it would seem to help in your situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 8:55*am, Ed wrote:
Here is a possible solution. Instead of a gutter, consider a
dispersion system to distribute the water over a wider area so it is
less likely to splash under your doors. One such product is
Rainhandler (www.rainhandler.com). I have never used this product but
it would seem to help in your situation.

But the water will still all end up outside his garage doors, the OP
wants to keep the water away from the garage doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 9:54*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jul 8, 8:55*am, Ed wrote:

Here is a possible solution. Instead of a gutter, consider a
dispersion system to distribute the water over a wider area so it is
less likely to splash under your doors. One such product is
Rainhandler (www.rainhandler.com). I have never used this product but
it would seem to help in your situation.

But the water will still all end up outside his garage doors, the OP
wants to keep the water away from the garage doors.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. As ever, feedback from this
group has given me a much clearer view of what I need to do. I plan
to go with a small overhang right above the garage doors. Trick will
be to get it positioned right and with the right measurements to catch
90% of the rain. Guttering off to the left side will be easy from
there.

Much appreciated all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:49*pm, cubby wrote:
On Jul 8, 9:54*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jul 8, 8:55*am, Ed wrote:

Here is a possible solution. Instead of a gutter, consider a
dispersion system to distribute the water over a wider area so it is
less likely to splash under your doors. One such product is
Rainhandler (www.rainhandler.com). I have never used this product but
it would seem to help in your situation.

But the water will still all end up outside his garage doors, the OP
wants to keep the water away from the garage doors.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. *As ever, feedback from this
group has given me a much clearer view of what I need to do. *I plan
to go with a small overhang right above the garage doors. *Trick will
be to get it positioned right and with the right measurements to catch
90% of the rain. *Guttering off to the left side will be easy from
there.

Much appreciated all.

May I suggest that you may want to run the down piping inside the wall
if the interior is not yet finished. If you ran two two inch lines in
parallel down to a common line just inside the garage area it could
then slope to the left hand corner to be routed into the storm water
drain line. If the water is allowed to fall down to the new overhang
it is going to splash out into the driveway were it will freeze in the
colder nighttime temperatures.
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2010 6:46 PM Tom Horne spake thus:

On Jul 8, 12:49 pm, cubby wrote:

On Jul 8, 9:54 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jul 8, 8:55 am, Ed wrote:

[...]

When the subject of running downspouts inside walls came up here some
time ago, I thought the consensus was that it was a Bad Idea. Pipes
leaking inside walls and such.

Anyway, the rooflet can have its own little gutters to keep rain off the
driveway. Besides, water's gonna fall on the driveway anyway and freeze.
Just less with the rooflet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote the following:
[...]

You need some structure over the doors. Not only for the drainage, but
for aesthetics. The slab sided house looks like some kind of farm building.

Any ideas anyone has will be greatly appreciate. As it is today I get
a lot rain splashing into the garage doors and into the garage. I can
improve the seals under the doors etc, but I don't think that's ever
going to be a proper solution.

TIA

http://s793.photobucket.com/albums/yy211/cubbybrockley/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 7:39*am, willshak wrote:
cubby wrote the following:

[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

It doesn't do much for me either. Why are the dormers so short and
the small window openings so low in them? I just built a similar
garage but detached at our lake house. Can't you raise the window
openings?

http://www.jamesgangnc.com/housefront.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 10:53*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
When the subject of running downspouts inside walls came up here some
time ago, I thought the consensus was that it was a Bad Idea. Pipes
leaking inside walls and such.

I think Tom is assuming that sewer-grade plumbing would be used, not
typical downspout crap. With how easy it is to assemble and glue PVC
or ABS, this is a very reasonabe assumption.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2010 10:12 AM mike spake thus:

On Jul 8, 10:53 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

When the subject of running downspouts inside walls came up here some
time ago, I thought the consensus was that it was a Bad Idea. Pipes
leaking inside walls and such.

I think Tom is assuming that sewer-grade plumbing would be used, not
typical downspout crap. With how easy it is to assemble and glue PVC
or ABS, this is a very reasonabe assumption.

Well, now that you mention it, it does seem OK to do that--after all,
other waste pipes go inside walls, so why not storm drains?

Maybe the real problem is the outside connection with the gutter system,
although I suppose it should be possible to connect that securely too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/9/2010 10:12 AM mike spake thus:

On Jul 8, 10:53 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

When the subject of running downspouts inside walls came up here some
time ago, I thought the consensus was that it was a Bad Idea. Pipes
leaking inside walls and such.

I think Tom is assuming that sewer-grade plumbing would be used, not
typical downspout crap. With how easy it is to assemble and glue PVC
or ABS, this is a very reasonabe assumption.

Well, now that you mention it, it does seem OK to do that--after all,
other waste pipes go inside walls, so why not storm drains?

Maybe the real problem is the outside connection with the gutter system,
although I suppose it should be possible to connect that securely too.

It's done on commercial flat roofs, all the time. There are code
requirements to meet. Just punching a hole in a soffit or fascia, to run
leaders on the interior, is not a good idea for obvious reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When the subject of running downspouts inside walls came up
here some
time ago, I thought the consensus was that it was a Bad Idea.
Pipes
leaking inside walls and such.

I think Tom is assuming that sewer-grade plumbing would be
used, not
typical downspout crap. With how easy it is to assemble and
glue PVC
or ABS, this is a very reasonabe assumption.

Well, now that you mention it, it does seem OK to do that--after
all, other waste pipes go inside walls, so why not storm drains?

Maybe the real problem is the outside connection with the gutter
system, although I suppose it should be possible to connect that
securely too.

--
The fashion in killing has an insouciant, flirty style this
spring,

The water in a sanitary line is typically at room temperature.
Water in a similar pipe, used for an in-wall downspout would be at
or near the freezing point of water, during most winter snow
melts. I suspect that this could cause condensation on the
outside of the PVC pipe, leading to mold. The pipe would have to
be 3" to fit inside a normal 3-1/2" stud space, also and there
would still be little room left for insulation. I also would be
concerned about how the part of the line penetrating the roof
would be flashed to turn large amounts of running water. It'd be
far more than, say, from just raindrops hitting it.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote the following:

[...]

It's complicated...the roof trusses are parallel cords as they sit on
a knee wall, 24 inches deep on the vertical and the structure above
the dormers absorbs a lot of space. We needed the knee wall to be a
high as possible to maximise the livable space, but at the same time
were constrained by the roof line of the main structure. It was
complicated, lots of drawings and renderings, this was the best bet
without giving up a lot of interior space.

I do think though that the "rooflet" will make it look more finished.
I'm just not sure how big we can go without pillars or some other form
of ugly support. Got to discuss with my pros, but if anyone has
thoughts, would welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2010 7:47 AM cubby spake thus:

I do think though that the "rooflet" will make it look more finished.
I'm just not sure how big we can go without pillars or some other form
of ugly support. Got to discuss with my pros, but if anyone has
thoughts, would welcome.

I doubt you'd need columns; at most you might need brackets, probably at
the ends and the middle between the doors.

An engineer can give you the answer to that question.

Need Help with French Drain Solution - water drainage car crash Home Repair 13 April 20th 10 01:02 AM
Drainage solution HeyBub Home Repair 0 September 30th 06 07:51 PM
Rain gutter drainage - how? Zootal Home Repair 6 April 19th 06 05:16 PM
Drainage Peter Balcombe UK diy 1 September 7th 04 11:13 AM