Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rain drainage solution

On 7/7/2010 3:54 PM cubby spake thus:

I posted about this an age ago and people asked for pictures. Now
that construction is moving forward I finally have some.

Here's my issue. I have a section between two dormers that is
essentially marooned from a guttering pov. Look at the pic and it will
make sense. Rain falls down that middle section straight in front of
the garage and splashes onto/underneath/thru the sides of the doors.
I have to do something to keep the rain away from the front of the
garage doors. Here are the options I am considering:

1. Running guttering straight down from the middle section to the
space between the middle and right garage opening - not very favorable
as I think it will look odd with the pipe coming down in the middle of
the wall and it will mean having to lose the exterior light in that
space (not in the pic but there are lights either side of each garage
door)

2. Same as 1 except jog the downspout from the middle section off to
the right of the garage doors (where it can probably join one coming
down from the right hand section). This too, I think, will be pretty
ugly

3. Use a rain diverter to keep as much rain as possible out of the
middle section - would have to be high up to channel to the sides of
the dormers....would probably only address half or less of the water.
Another concern would be it getting ripped off with heavy snows as
they slip down in a thaw.

4. Build some form of canopy above the doors to protect them from the
rain. This is looking like my favorite option right now, but I'm
struggling to think of a good way to do this that will not look odd.
The most obvious way I guess is to build an "eyebrow" all the way
across with an overhang the same or slightly more than the one above
on the main roof, and add guttering. I've googled around but not
found many other decent solutions.

Any ideas anyone has will be greatly appreciate. As it is today I get
a lot rain splashing into the garage doors and into the garage. I can
improve the seals under the doors etc, but I don't think that's ever
going to be a proper solution.

TIA

http://s793.photobucket.com/albums/yy211/cubbybrockley/

The added overhang idea sounds like a good one, provided it's designed
to harmonize with the rest of the house on that side. Shouldn't be a
huge planning job; do you have an architect? If so, they should be able
to quickly knock out some renderings so you can see what it would look like.

That would probably be the best solution, at least drainage-wise. The
other ideas of running downspouts from the three sections (you need
drainage from all three, not just the middle one) would be less building
cost but more downspouts, elbows, etc. But even that shouldn't look that
bad, assuming the downspouts are painted the same color as the wall. But
the canopy over the doors would look more finished, as if you had
designed it in from the get-go.