Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal

Default Rain gutter drainage - how?

The previous owner of my house took all of the rain gutters, ran them into a
3" pipe, ran the pipe 10 feet away from the house and dumped it into a 3
foot deep hole full of rocks. He put a piece of plastic over the rocks, and
covered it with dirt. The only way I found it was that the plastic was
keeping water from draining and the grass above it was turning yellow -
otherwise I would have to dig up 100' of pipe hoping to find where it
drained to.

Is the a good way to drain rain gutters? The water table here is only 20
feet down, and if we get a lot of rain my basement starts to take on water
(I found this out the hard way - my basement was a foot deep in water before
I noticed lol). Dumping all of ths water 10 feet from the house just doesn't
seem like a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Zootal" nousenetspam at dead ice dot us wrote in message
The previous owner of my house took all of the rain gutters, ran them into
a 3" pipe, ran the pipe 10 feet away from the house and dumped it into a 3
foot deep hole full of rocks. He put a piece of plastic over the rocks,
and covered it with dirt. The only way I found it was that the plastic was
keeping water from draining and the grass above it was turning yellow -
otherwise I would have to dig up 100' of pipe hoping to find where it
drained to.

Is the a good way to drain rain gutters? The water table here is only 20
feet down, and if we get a lot of rain my basement starts to take on water
(I found this out the hard way - my basement was a foot deep in water
before I noticed lol). Dumping all of ths water 10 feet from the house
just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Its a good idea for a few years but those seepage pits tend to silt up and
become ineffective after a time.

You could put a diverter in so that when the rain is heavy, it runs over the
surface and is drained into a larger area of your yard.

As for 10 feet, I don't know where else you have to choose from, you can't
drain it onto your neighbors property but you probably can drain onto the
street if that is nearby.

You may need to dig up some of the pipe and the drain pit to get it to
absorb what you need and replace or clean the drain rock of silt. Replace
some of the solid pipe with drain pipe in a bed of drain rock.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

I agree. This well they dug could be sending water into your basement
in heavy rain. Try to send water a good deal further, downhill, and
you may need to do some grading of land around house, ie to slope it
away from house. Check in heavy rain to see if there is much leakage
where gutters enter pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Zootal wrote:
The previous owner of my house took all of the rain gutters, ran them
into a 3" pipe, ran the pipe 10 feet away from the house and dumped
it into a 3 foot deep hole full of rocks. He put a piece of plastic
over the rocks, and covered it with dirt. The only way I found it was
that the plastic was keeping water from draining and the grass above
it was turning yellow - otherwise I would have to dig up 100' of pipe
hoping to find where it drained to.

Is the a good way to drain rain gutters? The water table here is only
20 feet down, and if we get a lot of rain my basement starts to take
on water (I found this out the hard way - my basement was a foot deep
in water before I noticed lol). Dumping all of ths water 10 feet from
the house just doesn't seem like a good idea.

It is called a dry well and how well it works and where it should be
placed depends on the local soil conditions. Done right it is the preferred
method, but it is not always done right and in some areas there is no
"right" way of doing it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

The previous owner of my house took all of the rain gutters, ran them
into a 3" pipe, ran the pipe 10 feet away from the house and dumped it
into a 3 foot deep hole full of rocks.

We installed 4" lines for the gutters, and another 4" line for the
foundation drains.

Ours run about 30' out away from the house, and discharge over the side of
the hill (where surface water would have run anyway). We have small grates
at the ends of the pipe to keep critters out of the pipes, but we do have
to clear out pine needles and whatnot every few months or so.

Of course, you need someplace lower than your house to drain to for this to
work.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal

"PipeDown" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

In this case, it lasted a few years and the pipe end itself because plugged
with roots and silt. The pit itself was quite clear of silt, the rocks were
clean. I discovered that the city recommends (requires) that you divert rain
water runoff to the street or into the storm drainage system. In my case, I
have to run a pipe to the curb, and then *through* the curb so that it
drains into the street. I can't run the water down my driveway to the street
because the driveway has sunk so that all water from it drains into the
front yard - which has also sunken. Another source of water into the ground
right next to my basement

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

"Zootal" nousenetspam at dead ice dot us wrote:

"PipeDown" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Putting a cover plate right at the edge of where the village has rights
for sidewalks, curbs, pipes and such, works well.

With the piping in a "U" shape, the level of the water will match, so as
long as the right side of the arm is lower than the left, assuming it
doesn't drain away along the way.

My folks had these on either side of the house, taking gutters from the
neighbors as well as us. The lawn sloped slightly down to the street so
it worked real well. In a heavy storm there would be a gusher of water
coming out of the lower grate, which would run onto the sidewalk and
street. Works great.