Peter Balcombe

Default Drainage

Some 25 years ago the PO - my deceased father in law had my front garden
concrete slabbed alongside the prexisting concrete drive there is also a
small lawned area containing a laurel bush and a fir (sorry don't know
variety but it has taken a long time to reach about 16 foot). The total area
is approx 30 foot wide by 25 foot deep.

Current issues are loose paving slabs (insufficient hardcore and lack of
drainage washing away the sandy soil assisted by movement of cars on top),
cracking of the concrete drive which is now some 40 years old and drainage.
Also I am concerned the slabs are too high in relation to the house damp
course - at worst only about an inch below. The house sewer runs down under
the middle of the drive.

I should like to replace the concrete drive, the paving slabs and most of
the lawn with good quality (possibly coloured) asphalt as this smooth
surface would assist this 58 year old in moving his caravan which together
with two cars occupies much of the area. The laurel bush will go and the
remainder of the lawn will be gravelled.

The easy solution would be to drain the area into the sewer but I am
assuming this is not legal? I have heard that soakaways have to be a minimum
distance from the house - and how easy is it to construct a load bearing
soakaway. The roof drainage at the front of the house is into a soakaway on
my neighhbours property (the back soakaway is my side) Also any
recommendations of good reliable firms to undertake the work - I live on the
outskirts of Norwich.

Set Square

Peter Balcombe wrote:

[...]

You *may* be able to drain the area into the sewer. Do you have separate
drains for foul and surface water, or does it all go into one common sewer?
If the latter, there's no reason not to put some additional surface water
into the sewer - as long as you make the connection in a way which complies
with building regs.

Maybe a bit OT, but have you considered a built-in caravan mover (Carver,
Reich, etc.) to avoid having to manhandle your caravan?
--
Cheers,
Set Square