Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Help with French Drain Solution - water drainage

I have a low area in my backyard where allot of water accumulates and
takes forever to dry. What I did is that I dug out a trench from my
backyard to a nearby field that is about 40 feet away. The trench was
dug in a downward direction for drainage and at the end of the trench
I dug a well, which is just a hole in the ground about 6 feet deep so
water could drain into the hole and into the earth. The problem being
is that is there is so much water, the hole has already filled up and
the water has back right up into the trench right back to the
start !! So now what do I do ? I haven't even installed the french
drain yet.
Recommendations please.
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 4:10�pm, car crash wrote:
I have a low area in my backyard where allot of water accumulates and
takes forever to dry. �What I did is that I dug out a trench from my
backyard to a nearby field that is about 40 feet away. �The trench was
dug in a downward direction for drainage and at the end of the trench
I dug a well, which is just a hole in the ground about 6 feet deep so
water could drain into the hole and into the earth. �The problem being
is that is there is so much water, the hole has already filled up and
the water has back right up into the trench right back to the
start !! � �So now what do I do ? �I haven't even installed the french
drain yet.
Recommendations please.
Thanks.

This will be due to he impermeability of your subsoil or a high water
table. Did the hole fill up spontaneously? If so the water is ground
water & there is no solution.
If it is surface water ie rain, the only answer is to dig your
soakaway bigger/deeper, maybe get a machine in to do the job. You will
need to fill your soakaway with rubble to prevent it becoming a
danger.. Or try to drain the water to another place (nearby ditch or
drain?)
If there is hard pan in your area, the solution would be to break
through it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard-pan
Mind you don't pollute any wells in the nieghbourhood.
Or go with nature and make yourself a lake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 8:10*am, car crash wrote:
I have a low area in my backyard where allot of water accumulates and
takes forever to dry. *What I did is that I dug out a trench from my
backyard to a nearby field that is about 40 feet away. *The trench was
dug in a downward direction for drainage and at the end of the trench
I dug a well, which is just a hole in the ground about 6 feet deep so
water could drain into the hole and into the earth. *The problem being
is that is there is so much water, the hole has already filled up and
the water has back right up into the trench right back to the
start !! * *So now what do I do ? *I haven't even installed the french
drain yet.
Recommendations please.
Thanks.

If the surface of the destination point is lower than the surface of
your backyard, use a pop-up emitter at the destination.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 12:12*pm, mike wrote:
[...]

Mike What will the pop up blocker do ? Are you saying place the
pipe under water as the trench is currently filled up with water and
then would the water go up the pipe for about 3 feet and then come
out the pop up part ?? Is that how it works ?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 11:10*am, car crash wrote:
On Apr 15, 12:12*pm, mike wrote:

[...]

It's a pop-up *emitter*. Google for images. Anyway, yes, the pipe
can be underwater as long as the emitter is lower than the place you
are trying to drain and the destination point water level remains
lower than the place you are trying to drain.

Emitters are placed on the surface of the ground, in case you were
thinking otherwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 11:10*am, car crash wrote:
The problem being
is that is there is so much water, the hole has already filled up and
the water has back right up into the trench right back to the
start !! * *So now what do I do ?

Dig a larger, deeper hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 3:18*pm, wrote:
On Apr 15, 11:10*am, car crash wrote:

The problem being
is that is there is so much water, the hole has already filled up and
the water has back right up into the trench right back to the
start !! * *So now what do I do ?

Dig a larger, deeper hole.

Will it dry out in less than 48 hours? If so, learn to live with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 5:08*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 15, 3:18*pm, wrote:

On Apr 15, 11:10*am, car crash wrote:

The problem being
is that is there is so much water, the hole has already filled up and
the water has back right up into the trench right back to the
start !! * *So now what do I do ?

Dig a larger, deeper hole.

Will it dry out in less than 48 hours? *If so, learn to live with it.

Dry out in 48 hrs ??? Hell no, More like 3 weeks to dry out and
that's if there is no rain in that time span.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 7:03*pm, car crash wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:08*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 15, 3:18*pm, wrote:

On Apr 15, 11:10*am, car crash wrote:

The problem being
is that is there is so much water, the hole has already filled up and
the water has back right up into the trench right back to the
start !! * *So now what do I do ?

Dig a larger, deeper hole.

Will it dry out in less than 48 hours? *If so, learn to live with it.

Dry out in 48 hrs ??? *Hell no, *More like 3 weeks to dry out and
that's if there is no rain in that time span.

I would then follow an earlier suggestion and make a small (or large)
pond, stock it with some fish to eat mosquitos and enjoy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"car crash" wrote in message
I have a low area in my backyard where allot of water accumulates and
takes forever to dry. What I did is that I dug out a trench from my
backyard to a nearby field that is about 40 feet away. The trench was
dug in a downward direction for drainage and at the end of the trench
I dug a well, which is just a hole in the ground about 6 feet deep so
water could drain into the hole and into the earth. The problem being
is that is there is so much water, the hole has already filled up and
the water has back right up into the trench right back to the
start !! So now what do I do ? I haven't even installed the french
drain yet.
Recommendations please.
Thanks.

What you are trying to do is darn near impossible with just a spade and
backwork...You may need proffessional help as a machine and site plan are
necessary..As others have said you need to know what soil conditions and
water table are and plan accordingly..JMHO...We can all take guesses but in
the end you will still need a site guy with soil testing skills , transit
and a machine big enough to dig the kind of system needed to handle that
volume of water...It may require substancial fill in the back yard as
well...As always , check your local codes and get the required permits.. A
pro can help with those as well...FWIW......Good luck...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
"car crash" wrote in message
[...]

Uh, do you own the field you are dumping the water into?

As much as I detest most local government micro-management, this is one
of the times when it may pay to talk to them. Here in SW Mich, they have
something called 'drainage districts', and drain commissions that run
them, paid for as part of property taxes. They hire engineers to look at
whole neighborhoods, both built-up and semi-rural, and design waterflow
systems that hopefully keep everyone dry. Some people get ****ed when
their yards get regraded against their will, and/or they have to add
driveway culverts and keep them clean, but it beats flooded basements
and mosquito-breeder yards. These drainage districts also sometimes fall
all over people who do major dirt work without blessing, if it dumps
water on a neighbor. If your area doesn't have special drain
commissions, they likely have that duty assigned to some other department.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

*+-This will be due to he impermeability of your subsoil or a high water
*+-table. Did the hole fill up spontaneously? If so the water is ground
*+-water & there is no solution.

The city uses seepage basins. I've never seen them used in homes. Big
tanks with holes that collect excess water and maybe pipe it to the
city storm system. I've wondered if I ever build my dream house. Last
year our storm system was so overtaxed (remember my molds) our beaches
were almost always closed and covered with dark green slime.

My JHS priest moved up to Bridgeport and once wrote "Heaven will be a
dry basement."

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm confused. I've heard the term French drains refer to a helical
permeable pipe covered with gravel in a ditch around the indoor
extremeties of your basement, connected to an automatic pump.

Remmeber what the waterproofing PDH engineers taught me: you can't stop
(dam) water, you have to show it the way out.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

French drain capitol Home Repair 6 May 13th 08 07:13 PM
Suggestions for Connecting Filter Backwash Drain to French Drain? Scott Townsend Home Repair 0 July 22nd 07 10:02 PM
Drainage solution HeyBub Home Repair 0 September 30th 06 07:51 PM
French Drain Burhans Home Repair 4 May 28th 05 12:36 AM
any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain? PH Home Repair 3 July 7th 04 12:30 PM