Posted to alt.home.repair

Default French drain

-------------------------------------

We hired a local construction company to install a french drain and to
finish off our entire basement. Along one of the walls sits the hot water
heater. They plan on moving it but not until the start the actual
'finishing' of the basement. Anyway, they cut the concrete floor and
installed the drain around the hot water heater, coming out about three
feet. Should they have moved it then proceeded with the french drain. Our
basement does get wet so I'm a bit concerned. The contractor says its no
big deal.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 9:52�am, (capitol)
wrote:
-------------------------------------

We hired a local construction company to install a french drain and to
finish off our entire basement. Along one of the walls sits the hot water
heater. They plan on moving it but not until the start the actual
'finishing' of the basement. Anyway, they cut the concrete floor and
installed the drain around the hot water heater, coming out about three
feet. Should they have moved it then proceeded with the french drain. Our
basement does get wet so I'm a bit concerned. The contractor says its no
big deal.

Thanks.

Delivered via �http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

yes it should of been moved. perhaps they will drill weep holes in the
block when the tank is moved?

if the tank is older its a good time to replace it
Posted to alt.home.repair

No problem. The French drain is there to catch subgrade water
before it is on top of the floor. The assumption is that it is
coming in close to the walls - ain't necessarily so. Having the
gravel and pipe at the proper depth and headed to a sump is what
matters.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"capitol" wrote in message
om...

-------------------------------------

We hired a local construction company to install a french drain
and to
finish off our entire basement. Along one of the walls sits the
hot water
heater. They plan on moving it but not until the start the
actual
'finishing' of the basement. Anyway, they cut the concrete floor
and
installed the drain around the hot water heater, coming out
about three
feet. Should they have moved it then proceeded with the french
drain. Our
basement does get wet so I'm a bit concerned. The contractor
says its no
big deal.

Thanks.

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 6:49�am, "DanG" wrote:
No problem. �The French drain is there to catch subgrade water
before it is on top of the floor. �The assumption is that it is
coming in close to the walls - ain't necessarily so. �Having the
gravel and pipe at the proper depth and headed to a sump is what
matters.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG �(remove the sevens)

"capitol" wrote in message

om...

-------------------------------------

We hired a local construction company to install a french drain
and to
finish off our entire basement. Along one of the walls sits the
hot water
heater. They plan on moving it but not until the start the
actual
'finishing' of the basement. Anyway, they cut the concrete floor
and
installed the drain around the hot water heater, coming out
about three
feet. Should they have moved it then proceeded with the french
drain. Our
basement does get wet so I'm a bit concerned. The contractor
says its no
big deal.

Thanks.

Delivered via �http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

interior french drains locally all have block drain holes, with
plastic trim.

so any water that gets in a block has a way out not on the floor.....
not making wall wet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:13Â*am, " wrote:
On May 13, 6:49�am, "DanG" wrote:

No problem. �The French drain is there to catch subgrade water
before it is on top of the floor. �The assumption is that it is
coming in close to the walls - ain't necessarily so. �Having the
gravel and pipe at the proper depth and headed to a sump is what
matters.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG �(remove the sevens)

"capitol" wrote in message

. com...

-------------------------------------

[...]

not making wall wet.- Hide quoted text -

They should have moved the water heater first.

I'd also point out that if you have a basement that has had water
problems, I would not go directly from installing the french drain to
finishing it. I'd wait at least a year, go through a few good rainy
periods, etc to make sure the basement stays dry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 9:53Â*am, wrote:
On May 13, 8:13Â*am, " wrote:

On May 13, 6:49�am, "DanG" wrote:

No problem. �The French drain is there to catch subgrade water
before it is on top of the floor. �The assumption is that it is
coming in close to the walls - ain't necessarily so. �Having the
gravel and pipe at the proper depth and headed to a sump is what
matters.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG �(remove the sevens)

"capitol" wrote in message

. com...

-------------------------------------

[...]

finishing it. Â*I'd wait at least a year, go through a few good rainy
periods, etc to make sure the basement stays dry.- Hide quoted text -

well they can pull heater then do that little section tying it into
the much larger job....

it sounded like the OP had plans to move heater to different location,
so this approach is reasonable.

oddly were in the middle of this now, were getting a new furnace with
air moving furnace a little.

have water issues, bottom of existing furnace rusted away.

so getting 12 feet where new furnace and other stuff will go, like new
hot water tank. later i will get the balance done.

with all my business stuff here theres really no other way, project
must be done in stages

Help With Simple French Drain Dwight Home Repair 11 December 20th 07 02:01 AM
Suggestions for Connecting Filter Backwash Drain to French Drain? Scott Townsend Home Repair 0 July 22nd 07 11:02 PM
French drain help..... chrisexv6 Home Repair 22 April 19th 07 05:32 PM
French Drain Burhans Home Repair 4 May 28th 05 01:36 AM
any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain? PH Home Repair 3 July 7th 04 01:30 PM