Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to prep aluminum for painting?

I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has
had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal
"excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to
prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 7:41*am, "Jean" wrote:
I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has
had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal
"excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to
prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

Jasco Prime & Prep the best stuff for priming metal for paint;
rusted or un-rusted steel, glavanized steel and aluminum

I searched for metal prep compound summer 2006 & after extensive
research found this stuff

Jasco Prime & Prep

***looks like they've been acquired by Strip-Kleen

Phosphoric Prep & Etch

Klean-Strip®
Phosphoric Prep & Etch does the job of three products:
1) Removes rust from iron and steel surfaces,
2) treats metal surfaces, including galvanized and aluminum, to allow
better paint adhesion,
3) etches concrete to allow paint or stains to penetrate and adhere.

http://www.jasco-help.com

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 9:41*am, "Jean" wrote:
I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has
had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal
"excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to
prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

It has a bronze anodized finish? All I know is you have a problem
making paint stick and you can not just use latex like on untreated-
unfinished aluminum. Call a real paint store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 10:20*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On May 18, 7:41*am, "Jean" wrote:

[...]

But does Phosporic eat glass, Muriatic wont but it fumes, and there
are screens to consider.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 7:41*am, "Jean" wrote:

[...]

are screens to consider.- Hide quoted text -

To my recollection, it is hydrofluricacid which etches glass. But your
mileage may vary.
JoeG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 10:41*am, "Jean" wrote:
I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has
had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal
"excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to
prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

You can paint it if you like, it is all about the proper prep
work...

You will find that the finish you apply will be more effected
by further bird droppings and environmental issues like
hail than the factory applied finish...

Might be something you would have to touch up every
year if you are one of those people that are anal about
appearance things like that...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 3:41�pm, "Jean" wrote:
I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has
had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal
"excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to
prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

Your aluminium is/was anodised to make it corrosion resistant. Bird/
any other crap is quite corrosive & may well take it off.
Paint doesn't take well to aluminium or zinc. You need get any crap
off first with a wire brush & then you need to apply etch primer
paint. This is slightly acidic and bonds well to the metal. You can
then apply more or less any exterior grade paint subject to what it
says on the primer can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jean wrote the following:
I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has
had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal
"excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to
prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

I painted my baked on enamel anodized aluminum gutters with white
rustoleum spray paint. The only prep I did was to wash the surface.
This was about 10 years ago and they haven't chipped or peeled yet.
My black roof shingles had stained the white gutters, so that was the
reason for the painting. They don't stain anymore.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 18, 5:45*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 10:36:31 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 18, 3:41?pm, "Jean" wrote:
I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has
had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal
"excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to
prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

Your aluminium is/was anodised to make it corrosion resistant. *Bird/
any other crap is quite corrosive & may well take it off.
Paint doesn't take well to aluminium or zinc. You need *get any crap
off first with a wire brush & then you need to apply etch primer
paint. *This is slightly acidic and bonds well to the metal. You can
then apply more or less any exterior grade paint subject to what it
says on the primer can.

They have aluminum screen cages all over Florida and I have never seen
any that was bronze anodized. It is all painted medium bronze or white
if it isn't just mill finish.. The mill finish under the paint is
probably anodized but the bronze or white is just paint. They sell the
touch up paint that is a very good match.

Those bronze pool enclosures are built out of the same king of
aluminium that store front enclosures are built from - which is
anodized

When I was in the glass business this is what we used http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vs66m9
for scratches and sometimes painting an entire piece of clear
aluminium if we needed a piece of bronze to finish up a job.

The OP could pick up a can from a glass shop or a place that builds
pool enclosures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:38*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2010 17:36:05 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

They have aluminum screen cages all over Florida and I have never seen
any that was bronze anodized. It is all painted medium bronze or white
if it isn't just mill finish.. The mill finish under the paint is
probably anodized but the bronze or white is just paint. They sell the
touch up paint that is a very good match.

Those bronze pool enclosures are built out of the same king of
aluminium that store front enclosures are built from - which is
anodized

When I was in the glass business this is what we usedhttp://preview.tinyurl.com/2vs66m9
for scratches and sometimes painting an entire piece of clear
aluminium if we needed a piece of bronze to finish up a job.

Not any screen cage I have ever seen in Florida and my wife built over
200 of them.
The "patio" material is painted.

I touched up some for my in laws about 8 years ago after it got
scraped by a falling ladder. I sanded it to even things up, wiped it
with vinegar to etch and painted it with bronze paint I got from the
hardware store. Still looks good.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

They have aluminum screen cages all over Florida and I have never seen
any that was bronze anodized. It is all painted medium bronze or white
if it isn't just mill finish.. The mill finish under the paint is
probably anodized but the bronze or white is just paint. They sell the
touch up paint that is a very good match.

Those bronze pool enclosures are built out of the same king of
aluminium that store front enclosures are built from - which is
anodized

When I was in the glass business this is what we usedhttp://preview.tinyurl.com/2vs66m9
for scratches and sometimes painting an entire piece of clear
aluminium if we needed a piece of bronze to finish up a job.

Not any screen cage I have ever seen in Florida and my wife built over
200 of them.
The "patio" material is painted.

I guess you need to come to my house and take a look then
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 21, 12:39*am, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Where are you, maybe it is a regional thing. I have a big stack of
patio, I can mail you a piece and let you decide but it is basically
the same thing they sell at H/D or Lowes. This is certainly painted,
You can take the paint off with the right (or wrong) solvent depending
on what your intent is.

I'm in Orlando.

The only aluminum that we used (and they still do) was anodized. My
pool enclosure is anodized. A friend of mine just had a pool enclosure
installed a few months ago, and it is anodized.

I guess there are companies out there that use "painted" aluminum to
build pool enclosures with, but I bet their warranty sucks.

You get what you pay for.

Painting prep Dan_Musicant Home Repair 3 July 10th 06 09:25 PM
How to prep for painting? Bryan Home Repair 2 October 15th 05 04:36 PM
What to use for drywall repair/painting prep [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 23rd 05 12:18 PM
FU re Wall Prep Before Painting Liz Home Repair 1 March 1st 05 01:55 AM
Wall prep before painting Liz Home Repair 10 February 26th 05 09:20 AM