Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default How to prep aluminum for painting?

On May 18, 5:45*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 10:36:31 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 18, 3:41?pm, "Jean" wrote:
I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has
had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal
"excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to
prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

Your aluminium is/was anodised to make it corrosion resistant. *Bird/
any other crap is quite corrosive & may well take it off.
Paint doesn't take well to aluminium or zinc. You need *get any crap
off first with a wire brush & then you need to apply etch primer
paint. *This is slightly acidic and bonds well to the metal. You can
then apply more or less any exterior grade paint subject to what it
says on the primer can.

They have aluminum screen cages all over Florida and I have never seen
any that was bronze anodized. It is all painted medium bronze or white
if it isn't just mill finish.. The mill finish under the paint is
probably anodized but the bronze or white is just paint. They sell the
touch up paint that is a very good match.

Those bronze pool enclosures are built out of the same king of
aluminium that store front enclosures are built from - which is
anodized

When I was in the glass business this is what we used http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vs66m9
for scratches and sometimes painting an entire piece of clear
aluminium if we needed a piece of bronze to finish up a job.

The OP could pick up a can from a glass shop or a place that builds
pool enclosures.