Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default How to prep aluminum for painting?

On May 18, 3:41�pm, "Jean" wrote:
I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has
had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal
"excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to
prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

Your aluminium is/was anodised to make it corrosion resistant. Bird/
any other crap is quite corrosive & may well take it off.
Paint doesn't take well to aluminium or zinc. You need get any crap
off first with a wire brush & then you need to apply etch primer
paint. This is slightly acidic and bonds well to the metal. You can
then apply more or less any exterior grade paint subject to what it
says on the primer can.