Liz

Default Wall prep before painting

We have stripped the wall paper off of our LR, DR and hallway walls, and the
painter is coming on Monday to start painting. This weekend we will be
washing the walls to remove any remaining glue. We've been given advice
about how to go about this: vinegar and warm water, warm water and dish
detergent, warm water and fabric softener. We're confused...can anyone
steer us in the right direction?

TIA!

Liz

Mikepier

Just use the same stuff you removed the wallpaper with, let it sit for
a few minutes, and wipe it with a sponge.

SteveB

"Liz" wrote in message
We have stripped the wall paper off of our LR, DR and hallway walls, and
the painter is coming on Monday to start painting. This weekend we will
be washing the walls to remove any remaining glue. We've been given
advice about how to go about this: vinegar and warm water, warm water and
dish detergent, warm water and fabric softener. We're confused...can
anyone steer us in the right direction?

TIA!

Liz

If you have "stripped" the walls, I would prime them. Stripping exposes
different substrates. Some areas will be more porous than others. If you
don't prime it, the absorption will be different, and the new paint will not
have an even appearance. That's just what I would do. Please keep us
posted as to just what you do and how it comes out.

Steve

Mikepier

I would just like to add use an oil base primer to seal in the wall.

xrongor

i suspect warm water alone would also work, but ive used both vinegar and
fabric softener with success. i cant say much for wallpaper remover, never
used the stuff. i just use a wet rag and a scraper to get wallpaper off.

as you realize, you need to get the glue globs off. even primer wont stick
well to them so its not wise to just primer over them. after you have done
that, wash the wall again real quick with water to get all the
vinegar/fabric softener off.

prime and paint as usual.

randy

"Liz" wrote in message
We have stripped the wall paper off of our LR, DR and hallway walls, and
the painter is coming on Monday to start painting. This weekend we will
be washing the walls to remove any remaining glue. We've been given
advice about how to go about this: vinegar and warm water, warm water and
dish detergent, warm water and fabric softener. We're confused...can
anyone steer us in the right direction?

TIA!

Liz

LFR

"Liz" wrote in message ...
We have stripped the wall paper off of our LR, DR and hallway walls, and the
painter is coming on Monday to start painting. This weekend we will be
washing the walls to remove any remaining glue. We've been given advice
about how to go about this: vinegar and warm water, warm water and dish
detergent, warm water and fabric softener. We're confused...can anyone
steer us in the right direction?

TIA!

Liz

Not sure what you used to remove the wallpaper but a few years ago, when I decided to remove the wallpaper from my kitchen walls, I used DIF. It worked well. I believe I used it to also clean up any glue residue that may have been left behind.

Lynn

SQLit

"Liz" wrote in message
We have stripped the wall paper off of our LR, DR and hallway walls, and

the
painter is coming on Monday to start painting. This weekend we will be
washing the walls to remove any remaining glue. We've been given advice
about how to go about this: vinegar and warm water, warm water and dish
detergent, warm water and fabric softener. We're confused...can anyone
steer us in the right direction?

TIA!

Liz

I will add that cleaning the walls with TSP, before the painter comes would
be my choice. Plenty of ventilation and warmth depending on where you live.
Walls need to dry out.

tsp = tri sodium phosphate

wear rubber gloves with this mixture

Norminn

Liz wrote:
We have stripped the wall paper off of our LR, DR and hallway walls, and the
painter is coming on Monday to start painting. This weekend we will be
washing the walls to remove any remaining glue. We've been given advice
about how to go about this: vinegar and warm water, warm water and dish
detergent, warm water and fabric softener. We're confused...can anyone
steer us in the right direction?

TIA!

Liz

I've removed paste a number of times, and all that is needed is water.
Add a touch of your favorite detergent, if you want. Remember, it was
dry when purchased, mixed with water when applied, and held until you
wet it again. If you have a painter coming on Monday, be sure you don't
get the paper coating on the wallboard wet - wouldn't hurt to remind the
painter when you washed the wall. It needs to be real dry when he
paints. Past that is painted over will likely adhere just fine, but
runs the risk to transferring any texture remaining from old wallpaper.
For good measure, I vacuum the wall when dry to be sure dust/lint is
removed before painting. My old towels leave a lot of lint )

Liz

"Norminn" wrote in message

I've removed paste a number of times, and all that is needed is water. Add
a touch of your favorite detergent, if you want. Remember, it was dry
when purchased, mixed with water when applied, and held until you wet it
again. If you have a painter coming on Monday, be sure you don't get the
paper coating on the wallboard wet - wouldn't hurt to remind the painter
when you washed the wall. It needs to be real dry when he paints. Past
that is painted over will likely adhere just fine, but runs the risk to
transferring any texture remaining from old wallpaper. For good measure, I
vacuum the wall when dry to be sure dust/lint is removed before painting.
My old towels leave a lot of lint )

I appreciate the advice from everyone.

Norminn, underneath the paper we had at least 3 coats of paint (we're in
this house over 30 years), and 99% of the paper came off easily so we didn't
have to do much scraping. Therefore, the wallboard paper isn't exposed
anywhere that I've noticed, but we'll be extra careful about checking for
that. I hadn't thought of vacuuming the walls so thanks for that tip. I'm
not looking forward to washing all these walls but at least now I know how
to proceed.

I hope everyone else has a nice weekend!

Liz

xrongor

this works well, but you need to clean the tsp off the wall when you are
done with a final warm water only wash, or it 'may' cause problems with the
primer or paint.

randy

I will add that cleaning the walls with TSP, before the painter comes
would
be my choice. Plenty of ventilation and warmth depending on where you
live.
Walls need to dry out.

tsp = tri sodium phosphate

wear rubber gloves with this mixture

xrongor

"Liz" wrote in message

"Norminn" wrote in message

[...]

yeah it sucks, but just remember: the paint job is only as good as the prep
job.

randy

Rain seeping inside through concrete block wall above grade (Warning: LONG explanation) Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 9 September 8th 04 02:43 AM
Painting a plasterd wall Sparks UK diy 5 February 24th 04 08:52 AM
Wall preparation before plastering + painting David Hearn UK diy 1 September 29th 03 11:50 AM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM