David Hearn

Default Wall preparation before plastering + painting

I have a room that was plastered at least 9 months ago (probably quite a bit
longer - it was like this when we bought this place) which is still bare
plaster and we're planning on putting lining paper up before painting.
Sadly the quality of the plaster work isn't great (its nice and smooth in
places, but there's ripples/bumps in other places, and not to mention a
small but noticable crack (which we'd like to paper over). We may well just
paint the better walls - but we'll just have to see. Its a nice and easy
room to line - which should give us some practice for our other room we need
to line.

Based on this - what preparation should I do before pasting/painting? I've
got 6L of Screwfix PVA bond which I think on the back says it can be diluted
4:1 to seal things like this. Is this okay, or could I dilute it a little
more? Is there something better to put on before papering/painting?

Also - I've got a large area of plaster missing from a wall (it had all
blown from the blockwork) and I think I may need to put PVA onto this wall
as well before replastering (else all the water would be drawn out).
Should I just use the same dilution as I do on the other wall?

Thanks

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.

Grunff

David Hearn wrote:

Based on this - what preparation should I do before pasting/painting? I've
got 6L of Screwfix PVA bond which I think on the back says it can be diluted
4:1 to seal things like this. Is this okay, or could I dilute it a little
more? Is there something better to put on before papering/painting?

Yup, 4:1 PVA is exactly what you need. Use it liberally, and
apply to anything that looks remotely crumbly or porous.

Also - I've got a large area of plaster missing from a wall (it had all
blown from the blockwork) and I think I may need to put PVA onto this wall
as well before replastering (else all the water would be drawn out).
Should I just use the same dilution as I do on the other wall?

Yup, as above.

--
Grunff

Damp inside loft wall Orb UK diy 2 August 22nd 03 11:18 AM
Taking out a wall and building regs... Adam UK diy 8 August 21st 03 10:39 PM
Overflow extended length from external wall - Building Regulations Jeff Martin UK diy 1 August 13th 03 11:37 PM
Wall mounted bath taps Roger Wareham UK diy 1 August 6th 03 03:49 PM