Roger Wareham

Default Wall mounted bath taps

Jeff wrote:

I've been persuaded to fit a Bristan java wall mounted bath filler tap, I'm
wondering if anyone has any experience with fitting these taps or similar
ones.

The reason I ask is the tap comes with 20mm long male tail (dunno if this is
the correct terminology!) so I'm assuming you use a tap connector to attach
it to the pipe. But, what depth do you fix the connector below the surface
of the wall? (the pipe will be plastered into the wall when finished).

The second thing I was wondering about is, how do you tighten the tap on to
the connector if its set into the wall, as there is a metal cover that
should be flush to the wall when correctly fitted.

And lastly I can't seem to find the diameter of the hot and cold connections
on the tap, I've checked the literature on the web regarding this tap,
anyone any ideas 1/2" or 3/4" ?

The tails should be detachable from the tap - by undoing the captive
nuts on the tap body.

Embed 1/2" BSP female connectors (the ones used for outside hose taps)
in the wall and cut channels for the supply pipes. Apply expanding foam
filler around the pipes, leave to set, trim back and plaster over to
make good. Tile the wall so that only the 1/2" BSP holes are visible.

Screw the tails into the female connectors using a thread sealing
compound. Check that the horizontal separation is correct (usually 150
mm) and that the tails are level. The tails should have a 'dog-leg' in
them so that this can be adjusted. (It's sometimes difficult to achieve
both plus a tight connection!)

Important: Now get someone to hold a bucket under the tails and turn on
the water briefly. These taps usually incorporate non-return valves or
mesh filters and these can easily be damaged by bits of swarf and flux
in new pipework.

Screw the chrome discs onto the tails.

Offer up the tap and attach to the tails using the captive nuts. Tighten
the nuts (wrapping them in cloth first to protect the chrome finish) and
it's done.

Hope this helps.

Roger.

strange shaped shower rail NC UK diy 2 July 31st 03 12:33 PM
'L' shaped bath anybody? BigWallop UK diy 6 July 27th 03 10:04 PM
Kitchen Taps BigWallop UK diy 5 July 27th 03 01:07 AM
Reluctant taps Liz UK diy 9 July 21st 03 09:30 PM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 10th 03 11:18 PM