Liz

Default Reluctant taps

In my son's bathroom, both the sink taps and the shower thing that's over
the bath taps (looks like a telephone!) allow very little water through.
The shower not at all - the other taps are pretty well unusable. The kids
use the bidet for washing and teeth brushing, fortunately no one uses the
bidet for its intended use!!

What would cause this and what can be done to remedy it?

thanks

---

BigWallop

"Liz" wrote in message
In my son's bathroom, both the sink taps and the shower thing that's over
the bath taps (looks like a telephone!) allow very little water through.
The shower not at all - the other taps are pretty well unusable. The kids
use the bidet for washing and teeth brushing, fortunately no one uses the
bidet for its intended use!!

What would cause this and what can be done to remedy it?

thanks

http://www.electronicdescaler.co.uk/benefits.htm

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Grunff

Huge wrote:

Here's what it should look like;

html
body
pNone/p
/body
/html

But if that were the case, we'd miss out on great quotes like:

"Using modern microprocessors and signal processing techniques,
Scalewatcher™ ENiGMA produces a complex, modulating frequency
waveform, which in terms of magnetic strength is insignificant."

--
Grunff

Liz

Steve Firth wrote:

Should be *plonk* *plonk* since I have little doubt that "BigWallop"
and "Liz" are the same
person or at the very least that "Liz" is a shil.

Whoops, have I done something wrong here?

I don't want an expensive descaling machine, just some advice about
unblocking taps. I'll try replacing the taps, and if it looks as though its
a problem with the pipes I'll get a plumber in.

Not to worry, I'll try elsewhere.

Thanks anyway to those who have given useful advice

.....and what's a shil?

Liz

---

MrCheerful

"Liz" wrote in message
In my son's bathroom, both the sink taps and the shower thing that's

over
the bath taps (looks like a telephone!) allow very little water

through.
The shower not at all - the other taps are pretty well unusable.

The kids
use the bidet for washing and teeth brushing, fortunately no one

uses the
bidet for its intended use!!

What would cause this and what can be done to remedy it?

thanks

---

Serious answer:

You may well find that the pipes supplying the taps are blocked,
usually this happens near the taps. Go to the last place that has
good flow and look at the pipework from then on. I came across this
recently in a 1930's house, luckily I could unscrew the pipework and
could just clean it out.

MrCheerful

Wanderer

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:25:46 +0100, Liz wrote:

snip

Whoops, have I done something wrong here?

Nah, it's just that some people have a very low opinion of electronic
'descalers'.

I don't want an expensive descaling machine, just some advice about
unblocking taps. I'll try replacing the taps, and if it looks as though its
a problem with the pipes I'll get a plumber in.

Do you have an old-fashioned hardware store near you? They're a likely
source of Kilrock K, which is a superb liquid descaler. It puts the
'supermarket' stuff into the shade when it comes to descaling. It's also
possible to get it in a gel form which is useful for getting rid of
limescale actually on the body of taps, etc.

You can't get it everywhere, so you may have to search around for it. They
do mail order as well. If you try Yell, you should be able to track them
down.
Wanderer

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:34:59 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

"Liz" wrote in message
In my son's bathroom, both the sink taps and the shower thing that's over
the bath taps (looks like a telephone!) allow very little water through.
The shower not at all - the other taps are pretty well unusable. The kids
use the bidet for washing and teeth brushing, fortunately no one uses the
bidet for its intended use!!

What would cause this and what can be done to remedy it?

thanks

http://www.electronicdescaler.co.uk/benefits.htm

Hmm, having seen some of your other posts, I'm truly surprised that you
bother with this bit of trickery!
Ed Sirett

Liz wrote:

In my son's bathroom, both the sink taps and the shower thing that's over
the bath taps (looks like a telephone!) allow very little water through.
The shower not at all - the other taps are pretty well unusable. The kids
use the bidet for washing and teeth brushing, fortunately no one uses the
bidet for its intended use!!

What would cause this and what can be done to remedy it?

I'm taking a wild guess here that this is a loft conversion?
That theres a pump that's no longer working?

There is just enough water pressure to get to the lowest outlets (the
bidet)

Failing that I need more info.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Liz

Ed Sirett wrote:
Liz wrote:

In my son's bathroom, both the sink taps and the shower thing that's
over the bath taps (looks like a telephone!) allow very little
water through. The shower not at all - the other taps are pretty
well unusable.

What would cause this and what can be done to remedy it?

I'm taking a wild guess here that this is a loft conversion?
That theres a pump that's no longer working?

There is just enough water pressure to get to the lowest outlets (the
bidet)

Failing that I need more info.

Thanks Ed, and others. No it isn't a loft conversion, just a normal 1st
floor bathroom. I suspect the problem is limescale, though it must be a
really big problem to completely block the taps. Hull.

I'll follow the advice with the descaling product (no, not the electronic
one!) and lots of scraping and see if that does the trick. I want to try
and do it during an evening spent there babysitting so hopefully won't cause
more problems than I solve.
Thanks again

Liz
---

Wanderer

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:02:29 +0100, Liz wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
Liz wrote:

In my son's bathroom, both the sink taps and the shower thing that's
over the bath taps (looks like a telephone!) allow very little
water through. The shower not at all - the other taps are pretty
well unusable.

When you say the 'other taps' do you mean sink or bath taps, or both? If
it's a combined bath tap and shower fitting, I suspect if the shower only
let's a dribble through but the bath taps both run happily then it's the
washer on the shower selector that's all stuck up. I had this at my last
house, and took the shower selector to pieces and fitted a new washer.

What would cause this and what can be done to remedy it?

I'm taking a wild guess here that this is a loft conversion?
That theres a pump that's no longer working?

There is just enough water pressure to get to the lowest outlets (the
bidet)

Failing that I need more info.

Thanks Ed, and others. No it isn't a loft conversion, just a normal 1st
floor bathroom. I suspect the problem is limescale, though it must be a
really big problem to completely block the taps. Hull.

At the risk of asking one or obvious questions, do the taps turn on fully?
Is it that they are all furred up on the stuffing gland and won't open
fully? Are there isolating or service valves on the pipes that feed the
taps? Are these fully on?

I think in your - or your son's - situation, I'd be looking to turn off the
water and take the top off the taps to have a look and see what's going
wrong.

Monobloc taps Roger Slack UK diy 6 July 18th 03 12:07 AM
Champagne mixer basin taps Martin UK diy 5 July 14th 03 09:48 AM
where to find replacement old bathroom taps? Mark_Dathorne UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 04:53 PM