Jeff Martin

Default Overflow extended length from external wall - Building Regulations

2 years ago I bought a second floor flat and 3 weeks ago whilst I was
away the overflow from hot water tank started to flow. As a result
the water flowed out of the overflow pipe and caused damage to the
wall directly beneath the overflow pipe. On inspection it appears
that the overflow pipe does not extend out from the wall very far and
as a result water running through it runs down the wall rather than
dropping to the ground.

Other experience has taught me that the overflow is normally long
enough to take the water away from the wall - all though at the ground
level splashing etc may cause the wall at the base to become wet.

Can anyone advice me if there are any building regulations requiring
an overflow pipe to extend sufficiently from the wall to prevent
direct running of water down the wall?

As a consequence of the resulting wet wall the owner of the ground
floor flat (I have not managed to talk to the flat directly below me
on the first floor) is seeking looking for damages due to internal
decorating which have been damaged. The Management company put a
temporary solution in place by extending the overflow pipe - which
begs the question why was it not longer in the first place.
dg

The overflow is merely an alarm - warning of, and preventing possible
internal damage to the interior when another part of the system fails
i.e. the ball valve.

Water byelaws (not building regs) cover this, and there is now no
longer a requirement for an external pipe - the overflow can be
connected to the WC pan.

There is no requirement for it to extend past the wall, but
practically speaking the idea is to cast the water from the wall and
the noise and sight of it dripping notifies you of a problem. In
theory it could just be connected to the drainage pipe, and then you
would not ever get any dripping, but you would not know of any
problems either.

Depending on the terms of your lease, this may be classed as part of
the services for which the landlord/service company is responsible
for.

Failing that, your insurance will cover it.

dg