Posted to alt.home.repair

Default String Trimmer Question

My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned the
spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using in my
chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next trip into
town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding carb would be
a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I suffer with Fat Finger
Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2010 12:47 AM, benick wrote:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned
the spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using
in my chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next
trip into town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding
carb would be a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I
suffer with Fat Finger Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Is the carb adjustable? Sounds like you need to open up the HI
adjustment screw just a little.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 6:47�am, "benick" wrote:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned the
spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using in my
chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next trip into
town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding carb would be
a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I suffer with Fat Finger
Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Check fuel filter, usually a bobble thing on the end of a floppy pipe
inside the fuel tank, often you can see it through the filler spout.
Unfortunately hard to tell if they're blocked or not. Construction
can be tiny metal balls glued together or stuff that looks like felt
but isn't.
Failing that, I would say dirt in carburretor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 12:47*am, "benick" wrote:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned the
spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using in my
chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next trip into
town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding carb would be
a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I suffer with Fat Finger
Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Ive had quite a few motors that had the eletronic ignitions fail like
that, symptoms first appeared as it warmed up, but it could be fuel
related I would start by being sure no air is leaking into the motor
tighten everything fuel related and look for cracked lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the suggestions...Got to work today but will give them a try
when I get a minute and post back with results...

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote the following:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't
figure what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then
stalls but will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when
you hit the throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the
plug , cleaned the spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the
gas I am using in my chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some
carb cleaner next trip into town and try that...Anything else I could
check ?? Rebuilding carb would be a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they
used to be and I suffer with Fat Finger Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for
any help....

My Ryobi trimmer requires 6 steps to get it to run.
1. Turn the handle toggle switch to On.
2. Press the primer bulb repeatedly until it fills with gas, then press
a couple of times more.
3. Move the lever to Start (choke?).
4. Pull the cord until the motor starts.
5. Move the lever to Run. The motor should be running at full power.
6. Wait a few seconds and press the triggers, then release, to set it to
idle.
Since my trimmer is only used a few of times a year here in the NE US, I
have to re-educate myself every year.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 3:10*am, harry wrote:
On May 16, 6:47 am, "benick" wrote:

[...]

+1

Sounds like dirt in the carburetor which is clogging the high
engine speed fuel pathway, or the mixture adjustment screw
for the high engine speed is not where it needs to be, or you
could have gotten some water in the carburetor...

Those small carburetors on the hand held yard tools are hard
to almost impossible to fix depending on what is wrong... If
you suspect dirt in it you could try cleaning it in one of those
ultrasonic cleaning setups and see if you can get the dirt or
whatever crap that is in there out of the carburetor...

Last resort is just replacing the offending carburetor if you can
not get it cleaned out...

Good Luck...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned the
spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using in my
chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next trip into
town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding carb would
be a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I suffer with Fat
Finger Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Had a Sthil (sp.) string trimmer that would not run after every winter
without disassembling and flushing out the carb. It was a simple 1 1/2 inch
cube of metal with ports and channels milled into it. Easy to disassemble
but one had to be careful not to lose tiny parts. Once it was done (I never
saw any dirt while cleaning) it would run fine until next spring even though
I drained and ran it dry in the fall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
benick wrote the following:
[...]

Ya I know what you mean..I use it about 6-8 times a year here in Maine ,
though when I do get it out I do quite an area..LOL..That's why I bought a
cheapo Ryobi..It has served well for 4 years which is about what I expected
for 90 bucks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It started acting up last summer the last time I used it so over the winter
I changed the plug and cleaned the spark arrester screen with no improvement
so it's not a winter storage issue..I have bought some carb cleaner and will
try that and check the fuel filter..If that don't do it I will probably get
another one...To cheap to mess with too much...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 12:18*pm, "benick" wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message

anews.com...

"benick" wrote in message
[...]

another one...To cheap to mess with too much...- Hide quoted text -

I've gotten rebuild kits for those small carbs for under $10. Usually
fixes them if you make sure all the passages are clear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
benick typed:
"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Your symptoms really sound like a carb adjustment is all that's needed.
Usually you have to remove a plate to get at them; there will be 2 screws;
one for hi speed, one for idling.
Get it good and warm, rev it up and hold it there while you adjust the hi
speed screw for best running sound and constant smoke emission.
Then slow it down and adjust the lo speed screw until you can let go of
the trigger and it'll keep running. Recheck the hi speed, the the lo if you
readjust the hi, and you should be set to go! They're actually pretty easy
to adjust.
Which screw is which should be labeled either inside there or on the
plate you have to remove. If not, there's always RTFM.

Oh, to the guy who runs the tank dry and stores over the winter: That's the
wrong thing to do since the after-heat will evaporate any oil covering and
things rust/gum up quickly. It's the same for any 2 cycle engine.
Leave the fuel in it. Add a few drops of Stabil or any other gas
stabilizer, and store it. The oil mix keeps a covering over all the parts
and they won't gum/oxidize. In the spring, pour out the fuel, add fresh and
you should be ready to go.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned
the spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using
in my chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next
trip into town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding
carb would be a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I
suffer with Fat Finger Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Hi,
Fuel tank air vent?

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned
the spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using
in my chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next
trip into town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding
carb would be a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I
suffer with Fat Finger Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Hi,
Fuel tank air vent?

Yes. Good point. Try running it with the fuel cap slackened off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned
the spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using
in my chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next
trip into town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding
carb would be a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I
suffer with Fat Finger Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Hi,
Fuel tank air vent?

Yes. Good point. Try running it with the fuel cap slackened off.

If it was the fuel tank air vent (and the resulting vacuum that would
prevent fuel from getting to the engine) then it would not start right
back up as the OP describes, it would take a period of time as the
engine cools off and the air very slowly gets back into the fuel tank
to break the vacuum before it would start up again...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 1:47�am, "benick" wrote:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned the
spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using in my
chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next trip into
town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding carb would be
a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I suffer with Fat Finger
Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

When I work on trimmers that people bring me to fix, I always put in a
new plug, new gas lines, clean carb by dis-assembling it, not using
some sort of spray-on carb cleaner (it don't work). I make sure the
gas cap vent valve is working and I make sure the fuel filter is
attached inside the tank. Many times the fuel lines get mushy and the
filter falls off letting the fuel line spring up above the fuel level.
Do all the above correctly and it will run fine for years to come.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On May 17, 12:18 pm, "benick" wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message

anews.com...

"benick" wrote in message
[...]

Like I said the eyes aren't what they used to be after cataracts and I
suffer with fat finger syndrome so working on a miniature carb is out of the
question...Aside from the fact I work 2 jobs and am working on the house AND
mowing , trimming , ect a 3 acre lot..Time is an issue as well...Thanks for
the thought , though...

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned
the spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using
in my chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next
trip into town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding
carb would be a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I
suffer with Fat Finger Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Hi,
Fuel tank air vent?

Yes. Good point. Try running it with the fuel cap slackened off.

Thanks , I'll try that...The vent is in the cap , correct ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 16, 12:47 am, "benick" wrote:
My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned the
spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using in my
chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next trip into
town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding carb would
be
a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I suffer with Fat
Finger
Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

I removed my spark arrestor screen and it ran like new

I did take it apart and the screen was clean but will give it a try...I too
think it's a carb issue though...Will check back with results as soon as I
get a spare minute...Thanks to all who took the time to respond...