Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default String Trimmer Question

On May 16, 3:10*am, harry wrote:
On May 16, 6:47 am, "benick" wrote:

My 4 year old Ryobi string trimmer started acting up and I can't figure
what's wrong...It starts fine and idles till it warms up then stalls but
will start right back up..It also bogs down and stalls when you hit the
throttle/trigger...Cleaned the air filter , changed the plug , cleaned the
spark arrestor screen...No change..Also checked the gas I am using in my
chainsaw and it seems fine..Gonna pick up some carb cleaner next trip into
town and try that...Anything else I could check ?? Rebuilding carb would be
a shop thing...Eyes aren't what they used to be and I suffer with Fat Finger
Syndrome...LOL...Thanks for any help....

Check fuel filter, usually a bobble thing on the end of a floppy pipe
inside the fuel tank, often you can see it through the filler spout.
Unfortunately hard to tell if they're blocked or not. *Construction
can be tiny metal balls glued together or stuff that looks like felt
but isn't.
*Failing that, I would say dirt in carburretor.

+1

Sounds like dirt in the carburetor which is clogging the high
engine speed fuel pathway, or the mixture adjustment screw
for the high engine speed is not where it needs to be, or you
could have gotten some water in the carburetor...

Those small carburetors on the hand held yard tools are hard
to almost impossible to fix depending on what is wrong... If
you suspect dirt in it you could try cleaning it in one of those
ultrasonic cleaning setups and see if you can get the dirt or
whatever crap that is in there out of the carburetor...

Last resort is just replacing the offending carburetor if you can
not get it cleaned out...

Good Luck...

~~ Evan