Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Who's in love with their string trimmer?

Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

Well, I love my Shindaiwa T270, but it's gas. For cordless electrics I
guess the biggest factor would be sticking with a brand that is likely
to have parts available for it in a month or two, which eliminates a
lot. Perhaps a Ryobi if they have one, since Ryobi is actually fairly
decent for a lot of their stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not interested in a gasoline unit eh? Well then you might just as well get
a pair of sissors out....

Seriously, i'd look into the stihl fs-110

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward
rechargable because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't
feel like installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but
it wouldn't matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not
interested in a gas trimmer.

Talk to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

I had a Homelite string trimmer and hedge clipper set from HD with 2
batteries for less than $100. I would not recommend as one new battery
from a nebulous internet source was $50. I hated to throw out two good
machines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward
rechargable because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't
feel like installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but
it wouldn't matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not
interested in a gas trimmer.

Talk to me.

If you can find one that uses a Li-Ion batteries than that would be good but
NiMh or NiCd would be heavier and hold less charge. OTOH a longer extension
cord will solve the outlet problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

I had a Troybuilt rechargeable. The battery would not take a charge soon
after the warranty ran out. I would not buy another Troybuilt. We moved to
an acre and have a gas trimmer now.

cm

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward
rechargable because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't
feel like installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but
it wouldn't matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not
interested in a gas trimmer.

Talk to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

I only need to trim a small property and have burned up a couple
electric units over time. I would never own another one. I picked up a
gas unit maybe 4 or 5 years ago and mix a fresh gallon jug of gas for it
each year with quality oil and haven't had a problem yet. The gas unit
is also a lot more powerful and the work goes even faster because of that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
. ..
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward
rechargable because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't
feel like installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but
it wouldn't matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not
interested in a gas trimmer.

Talk to me.

I only need to trim a small property and have burned up a couple electric
units over time. I would never own another one. I picked up a gas unit
maybe 4 or 5 years ago and mix a fresh gallon jug of gas for it each year
with quality oil and haven't had a problem yet. The gas unit is also a lot
more powerful and the work goes even faster because of that.

I'm seeing a trend in these responses: gas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 May 2008 19:29:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

Weedeater, gas powered, paid $65. Running since 1992. Rechargeable
models are just too weak and who wants to play with a cord?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward
rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it
wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

Weedeater, gas powered, paid $65. Running since 1992. Rechargeable
models are just too weak and who wants to play with a cord?

I have to agree. I have a Weedeater model, my neighbour has an older
Weedeater model than mine (much older) and they both work beautifully. I
have the model with the swivel head that makes trimming edges very easy. I
wouldn't do without that.

--
Ron P

If we are what we eat then: I'm fast,
cheap and easy and past my best before date

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 3:29 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

I know you're probably sold on an electric trimer, DON'T. I did the
same thing three years ago and only have a 1/3 acre lot. Just
yesterday I ditched the electric and went gas. I was simply tired of
dragging a cord around the yard, having it snare on trees, cars,
shrubs, etc. From what I've heard the rechargables will last one
season MAYBE two, and they cost pretty close to a cheapy gas powered
one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

I know you're probably sold on an electric trimer, DON'T. I did the
same thing three years ago and only have a 1/3 acre lot. Just
yesterday I ditched the electric and went gas. I was simply tired of
dragging a cord around the yard, having it snare on trees, cars,
shrubs, etc. From what I've heard the rechargables will last one
season MAYBE two, and they cost pretty close to a cheapy gas powered
one.

would your advice be the same for corded electric
mowers as well?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 12:29*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. It's called Roundup. It's
a much more permanent job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On May 5, 12:29 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward
rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it
wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. It's called Roundup. It's
a much more permanent job.

===================

Much of my trimming will be around the edges of a vegetable garden. Roundup
is not safe for such use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 2:09*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

On May 5, 12:29 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward
rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it
wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. *It's called Roundup. *It's
a much more permanent job.

===================

Much of my trimming will be around the edges of a vegetable garden. Roundup
is not safe for such use.

Oh brother. I guess you don't buy anything at the supermarket then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message

On May 5, 12:29 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward
rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it
wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. It's called Roundup. It's
a much more permanent job.

===================

Much of my trimming will be around the edges of a vegetable garden.
Roundup
is not safe for such use.

Oh brother. I guess you don't buy anything at the supermarket then.

===========================

Like what (from the supermarket)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 2:29 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable
because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like
installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't
matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

Talk to me.

I like the 4cycle gas ones. They go and go, don't use much fuel, start
easily.
I've been though cordless, replacement batteries nearly the cost of a
new one,
I've never been happier. The one I have is Ryobi, but they mostly
seem to be
of the same manufacturer, The Toros & several others seem identical
other
than color and markings,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote

From what I've heard the rechargables will last one
season MAYBE two, and they cost pretty close to a cheapy gas powered
one.

ohhhh. Well, you know, I still think it would be worth the convenience of
not
messing with gas and not dragging a cord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in message
. com...

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote

From what I've heard the rechargables will last one
season MAYBE two, and they cost pretty close to a cheapy gas powered
one.

ohhhh. Well, you know, I still think it would be worth the convenience of
not
messing with gas and not dragging a cord.

How about a 300 foot cord that threatens to knock down delicate plants as
you move around corners?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 2:06*pm, (Dave Martindale) wrote:
writes:
Weedeater, gas powered, paid $65. *Running since 1992. *Rechargeable
models are just too weak and who wants to play with a cord? *

If you have a cord-powered electric lawnmower, you've already got the
cord out, and it's already long enough to reach all of the corners of
your lawn, so a cord-powered electric trimmer makes sense. *That's what
I have, and I prefer it to gas lawnmower/trimmer for the small lawns that
we currently have.

For larger or complicated lawns, where a cord would be too much of a
pain, I'd switch to gas-powered for both. *But for a small simple lawn,
I prefer the lower maintenance of corded electric equipment. *(When I
was still a teen and living at home, we always had 2 or 3 gas
lawnmowers, and cut our lawn, our grandmother's, and our uncle's lawn.
I have plenty of experience with gas mowers).

* * * * Dave

I have to agree with you Dave. I have an electric mower, electric
trimmer, and electric blower. I pull the cord out with the mower,
mow, edge, and trim all in about 30 minutes. I prefer them for two
very good reasons. First is the noise factor and the second is the
SMELL. I hated haveing to end up smelling like a mixture of gas and
oil every time I did the yard. I have had gas versions of all of the
above and gave them away when I bought the electric. The cord can be
a bit of a pain when mowing but once you get down the right pattern,
it goes quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
[...]

If your gas powered lawnmower smells bad, it's because it's BROKEN. Fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yes it is actually. i even use it between the rows of stuff in our garden
beats running the tiller through there 20 times a season.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Much of my trimming will be around the edges of a vegetable garden.
Roundup is not safe for such use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

like food.

i forgot to mention i have just looked up the msds on roundup to see if it
was safe for horses. I found out the stuff is nearly non-toxic completely.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Like what (from the supermarket)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
yes, the FS-110 from stihl that i recommended is a four stroke.

awesome machine

Approximately what did it cost?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
On May 5, 3:29 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[snip]

Not interested in a gas
trimmer.

I've tried cordless and didn't think they had enough power or longevity; I
tried corded and didn't like the cord "tail" I had to drag around
everywhere, or having to uncoil and untangle/recoil a long cord at the end
of work. I tried one of those power-head + trimmer attachment rigs which I
thought was too heavy and awkward for extensive use.

What I found that I really like is a high-wheeled gas-driven string trimmer.
Sears has one, and presumably there are other brands around. It does not
have a "bump" line dispenser -- instead it uses a really heavy-duty line
that may go for several weeks without needing replacement, and it's just a
matter of cutting the right length of line from a spool and snapping the
replacement in place.

The Sears Craftsman trimmer has never needed service and is now nine years
old. It starts every time, even after I let it sit for two years because I
was using a lawn service. Most of all, I like it because I don't have to
carry it and it's light enough to push easily wherever I want to use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

if it's non toxic to a pheasant and a mouse, then it's not going to hurt a
horse. duh..

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Who tested it on horses? Show your source.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks, now what does a 4 year old propaganda sheet from a left wing tree
hugger group have to do with it?

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
news
Enjoy:

http://www.pesticide.org/glyphosate.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
[...]

If your gas powered lawnmower smells bad, it's because it's BROKEN. Fix it..- Hide quoted text -

I didn't have to carry the mower around while using it but not the
case for the trimmer and blower. Both the blower and trimmer were
impossible to use without having the fumes get into your clothes and
you. The fuel oil mixture smell like crap and required wearing a
filtered mask. Screw that. I won't have another gas powered mower,
blower, trimmer or other yard tool.

Now I could start in on the environmental improvement of using the
electric but hell, I am no environmental nut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 5:36*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote

*From what I've heard the rechargables will last one
season MAYBE two, and they cost pretty close to a cheapy gas powered
one.

ohhhh. Well, you know, I still think it would be worth the convenience of
not
messing with gas and not dragging a cord.

I thought about the cordless version when I bought my last trimmer and
mower but decided against it. I have had acceptable performance from
those cordless tools that I use frequently but I haven't had the same
experience with the infrequent use cordless tools. Seems that if you
use the tool on a regular basis it maintains the charge better.
Infrequent use and the batteries don't seem to last.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you just need to hire the weedeating and mowing out. You can't
handle life.

best stay inside and watch tv.

"BobR" wrote in message

I didn't have to carry the mower around while using it but not the
case for the trimmer and blower. Both the blower and trimmer were
impossible to use without having the fumes get into your clothes and
you. The fuel oil mixture smell like crap and required wearing a
filtered mask. Screw that. I won't have another gas powered mower,
blower, trimmer or other yard tool.

Now I could start in on the environmental improvement of using the
electric but hell, I am no environmental nut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward
rechargable because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't
feel like installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but
it wouldn't matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not
interested in a gas trimmer.

Talk to me.

On rechargeable, short run time, under power and the battery power pack will
last only last couple of years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:
thanks, now what does a 4 year old propaganda sheet from a left wing tree
hugger group have to do with it?

Not sure if you are a gadfly or really practice what you write but I
know someone who sounded exactly like you. Just throw caution to the
wind and expose yourself as much as possible to everything because all
precautions are total nonsense. That was until he developed liver cancer
which was clearly related to some of the solvents he often exposed
himself to.

String Trimmer line Roy Metalworking 5 May 25th 06 02:16 AM
String Trimmer - String Replacement Device nr Home Repair 1 November 30th 05 01:45 PM
Rewinding started string spring on Ryobi string trimmer any tips? BoborAnn Home Repair 0 June 6th 05 03:52 AM
string trimmer repair Jim Talley Home Repair 1 May 21st 05 10:34 PM
string trimmer wheels Glenn Pavlovic Home Ownership 1 June 27th 04 08:56 AM