Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is a good solvent to remove permanent marker on plastic?

The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:32*am, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

When you say "alcohol", do you mean ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, I marked my name on the back of a workman's bump
cap. To my disapointment, the ink got into the plastic, and
totally refused to completely wipe out.

Other than alcohol or gasoline, the next tries might be
mineral spirits paint thinner, or finger nail polish
remover. Please try a small bit on a cotton swab, so you
don't melt the whole plastic item by accident.

Outdoors, fresh air, not while smoking, not while using hair
dryer in bath tub, operating bulldozer with guards removed,
or cutting electrical cords with hedge trimmer. Usual safety
rules apply.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Judy Zappacosta"
wrote in
message ...
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed
the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the
gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor
plastic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2010 11:32 AM, Judy Zappacosta wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

I would try acetone but make sure you check a spot first because, if
plastic is something like PVC, it might dissolve. You could also try bleach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:37:32 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

When you say "alcohol", do you mean ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol?

Ethyl. But I will try isopropyl. I didn't think it mattered which type.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 4:32�pm, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

The problem is that though it looks so smooth, uPVC is actually very
porous. The ink has got right into the plastic.
As someone else has said, acetone may do it but be careful, it
dissolves lots of things & may ruin the finish.
One crafty trick if all else fails is to rub some paint of a similar
colour into the plastic with a rag.
I would give your kids water based pens in future! :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:43:39 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Other than alcohol or gasoline, the next tries might be
mineral spirits paint thinner, or finger nail polish

I know nail polish remover is acetone, so I will try that (but I don't have
a lot of it; I just have a tiny bottle).

I think I can get paint thinner easily at OSH, but what chemical is
"mineral spirits"?

Is it a mineral with alcohol?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:49:45 -0400, Frank wrote:

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

I would try acetone but make sure you check a spot first because, if
plastic is something like PVC, it might dissolve. You could also try bleach.

Bleach? I'll try (I have plenty of that handy); but I thought bleach was an
oxidizer, not a solvent.

Worth a try though ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:55*am, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:37:32 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:
What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

When you say "alcohol", do you mean ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol?

Ethyl. But I will try isopropyl. I didn't think it mattered which type.

Before you try harsher chemicals, make a paste with baking soda and a
high concentration (70%-90%) isopropyl/rubbing alcohol and scrub the
plastic with this paste.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 10:32*am, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

You tried alcohol a different type wont help, Laquer thinner may help
but if its in the plastic maybe not. google for soultions, google
still works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Judy Zappacosta wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

What part of "permanent marker" do you find confusing?

It's highly unlikely that any solvent will remove permanent marker from
plastic without damaging the plastic. You might try naphtha (lighter fluid),
but if gasoline didn't work, that probably won't either. Acetone or lacquer
thinner may remove the marks, but they're almost sure to harm the plastic as
well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 11:47*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Judy Zappacosta wrote:

The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag..

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

What part of "permanent marker" do you find confusing?

It's highly unlikely that any solvent will remove permanent marker from
plastic without damaging the plastic. You might try naphtha (lighter fluid),
but if gasoline didn't work, that probably won't either. Acetone or lacquer
thinner may remove the marks, but they're almost sure to harm the plastic as
well.

In fact the marker may have etched into the surface of the plastic,
making it impossible to remove. Yep, permanent.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 13, 11:32*am, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

I actually come across this situation fairly often at work (customers
marking product with Sharpie and then finding out that they are NFG
and need warranty replacements, then I need to clean them so we get
credit from supplier who will not accept parts with any writing/
marking on them) and what i've found to work the best is getting the
marker wet with isopropyl alcohol and then scrubbing of what doesn't
come off with alcohol alone with one of those white plastic
draftsman's erasers (the ones that are little white rectangles about
the size of a typical Pink Pearl, but pure white plastic. Staedtler
is the brand name that comes to mind, but there's likely a generic
knockoff available at Staples, Office Depot, etc. A Pink Pearl might
work, but I can only recommend the white ones, because that's what I
have in my desk drawer.)

I have run across parts that will not come clean by anything I've
tried, I guess there must be some new kind of really, really permanent
marker out there (but it's rare that I get those) I just send 'em back
and hope that we get credit for them, not worth my time to try
anything more involved to clean up a $40 part.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the
permanent marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the
gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

If it's a Sharpie, they use an alcohol-based carrier. Buy a quart of
denatured ethanol at the paint store to remove it.

If it's another brand of permanent marker, you're on your own.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:32:43 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

I've always found Expo Whiteboard cleaner to be the best at removing
permanent marker from ANYTHING.
Available from most office supply stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

The problem is that though it looks so smooth, uPVC is actually very
porous. The ink has got right into the plastic.
As someone else has said, acetone may do it but be careful, it
dissolves lots of things & may ruin the finish.
One crafty trick if all else fails is to rub some paint of a similar
colour into the plastic with a rag.
I would give your kids water based pens in future! :-)

NOT acetone!!!.
I use EXPO whiteboard cleaner (for dry erase surfaces) - it contains
butyl cellulose - according to the label, but not sure if that is the
active ingredient. One halloween kids liberally marked up my freshly
painted yellow ambassadore with permanent marker. The body shop said
it would need to be sanded down and repainted - the expo cleaner just
wiped it all right off - not a mark left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

Benzine and a little scouring powder, but if the plastic is fairly
old, it may be impossible. Follow up with some bleach if not
completely removed by any of the preceeding tries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

completely removed by any of the preceeding tries.- Hide quoted text -

Goof off or Goo gone.

Both of these work awesome!

I use them on plastic side covers on the machines I repair for a
living. Roll laminating machines!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

The problem is that though it looks so smooth, uPVC is actually very
porous. *The ink has got right into the plastic.
As someone else has said, acetone may do it but be careful, it
dissolves lots of things & may ruin the finish.
One crafty trick if all else fails is to rub some paint of a similar
colour into the plastic with a rag.
I would give your kids water based pens in future! * :-)

NOT acetone!!!.
I use EXPO whiteboard cleaner (for dry erase surfaces) - it contains
butyl cellulose - according to the label, but not sure if that is the
active ingredient. *One Halloween kids liberally marked up my freshly
painted yellow Ambassador with permanent marker. The body shop said
it would need to be sanded down and repainted - the expo cleaner just
wiped it all right off - not a mark left.

By this do you mean a car (as in AMC). Go God! You must be a hundred
years old! ; )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

This product has 5 versions, for various uses. I've used #2 to get
permanent red maker off painted doors.

#3 states:

..."Works On:

Ball Point Pen & Inks • Permanent Markers • Nail Polish • Hair Dyes •
Newsprint • Pencil Marks • Stamp Pad Inks • India Ink • Correction
Fluid • Fountain Pen Inks • Highlighters & More!"

Safe on plastic.

http://liftoffinc.com/product-ink-remover.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2010 10:32 AM, Judy Zappacosta wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

try brake cleaner

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 11:47*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Judy Zappacosta wrote:

The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag..

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

What part of "permanent marker" do you find confusing?

It's highly unlikely that any solvent will remove permanent marker from
plastic without damaging the plastic. You might try naphtha (lighter fluid),
but if gasoline didn't work, that probably won't either. Acetone or lacquer
thinner may remove the marks, but they're almost sure to harm the plastic as
well.

I use Laquer thinner alot, to clean plastic before painting, never
hurt any of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2010 11:59 AM, Judy Zappacosta wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:49:45 -0400, Frank wrote:

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

I would try acetone but make sure you check a spot first because, if
plastic is something like PVC, it might dissolve. You could also try bleach.

Bleach? I'll try (I have plenty of that handy); but I thought bleach was an
oxidizer, not a solvent.

Worth a try though ...

Yes. The concern is that solvent in the marker plasticized the surface
allowing the dye to penetrate. Would make it difficult to remove with
solvent which is why I suggest bleach to de-colorize. If carbon black,
may be impossible to remove except by buffing it out.

Just yesterday, I was showing my wife how to remove stains from a
plastic cutting board with bleach as nothing she had tried was working.
Works best by soaking or leaving wet for a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

My husband used a green 3M scrubber to remove perm. marker from a
painted wall...to my amazement, there is no sign of dullness on the wall
afterward. Good 'ole Ben Moore alkyd paint )

I use a Sharpie marker to mark freezer packages...couple of times the
marker has bled purple onto the kitchen counter when it got wet while
food was thawing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

You tried alcohol a different type wont help, Laquer thinner may help
but if its in the plastic maybe not. google for soultions, google
still works.

There is a reason they call it a permanent marker. Unless you can fade
it out with bleach (which may still weaken it), I suspect any solvent
that will work, will leave the plastic in a fragile state with a rough
surface. They make spray-paints for plastic. Just out of curiosity, what
is it? If it something dirt-cheap like a plastic chair, I'd just demote
it to far-backyard use and forget about it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most paint thinners are "mineral spirits". I think mineral
spirits is a very old name. A quart at Walmart set you back
about six bucks. Rather flammable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Judy Zappacosta"
wrote in
message ...

I know nail polish remover is acetone, so I will try that
(but I don't have
a lot of it; I just have a tiny bottle).

I think I can get paint thinner easily at OSH, but what
chemical is
"mineral spirits"?

Is it a mineral with alcohol?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

GOOF OFF, if this doent take it off probably nothing that wont ruin
the piece will work.Acetone would be the next step up.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

GOOF OFF, if this doent take it off probably nothing that wont ruin
the piece will work.Acetone would be the next step up.

Jimmie

Try sanding it off

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article e7795$4bec33b2$45499b77$30158
(DA) spammed some ****

Stop posting from your ****ing web-based spam portal. This is usenet.
Look it up. You are not on the damn world wide web.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

GOOF OFF, if this doent take it off probably nothing that wont ruin
the piece will work.Acetone would be the next step up.

Jimmie

Try sanding it off

Right, and if that doesn't do it, then flame polish it with your butane
torch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

The problem is that though it looks so smooth, uPVC is actually very
porous. Â*The ink has got right into the plastic.
As someone else has said, acetone may do it but be careful, it
dissolves lots of things & may ruin the finish.
One crafty trick if all else fails is to rub some paint of a similar
colour into the plastic with a rag.
I would give your kids water based pens in future! Â* :-)

NOT acetone!!!.
I use EXPO whiteboard cleaner (for dry erase surfaces) - it contains
butyl cellulose - according to the label, but not sure if that is the
active ingredient. Â*One Halloween kids liberally marked up my freshly
painted yellow Ambassador with permanent marker. The body shop said
it would need to be sanded down and repainted - the expo cleaner just
wiped it all right off - not a mark left.

By this do you mean a car (as in AMC). Go God! You must be a hundred
years old! ; )

Nope - not 60 yet - but the car was not new when I owned it (nor was
my 28 Chevy, 38 Terraplane,49 Vw, 53 Dodge or the vast majority of the
other roughly 35 I've owned. (only owned one new car in my life, and
it was only "new" for a day!!!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:47:13 -0700 (PDT), hr(bob) wrote:

Benzine and a little scouring powder

Isn't benzene and gasoline (practically) the same thing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
Judy Zappacosta wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

My husband used a green 3M scrubber to remove perm. marker from a painted
wall...to my amazement, there is no sign of dullness on the wall
afterward. Good 'ole Ben Moore alkyd paint )

I use a Sharpie marker to mark freezer packages...couple of times the
marker has bled purple onto the kitchen counter when it got wet while food
was thawing.

norminn
I have done that also on Formica counter top. Diluted bleach will clean it
up or use full strength bleach. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

In , Judy Zappacosta wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:47:13 -0700 (PDT), hr(bob) wrote:

Benzine and a little scouring powder

Isn't benzene and gasoline (practically) the same thing?

No, benzine and gasoline are practically the same thing.

--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 4:58�pm, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:43:39 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Other than alcohol or gasoline, the next tries might be
mineral spirits paint thinner, or finger nail polish

I know nail polish remover is acetone, so I will try that (but I don't have
a lot of it; I just have a tiny bottle).

I think I can get paint thinner easily at OSH, but what chemical is
"mineral spirits"?

Is it a mineral with alcohol?

We call it methylated spirits if that helps. Used on wounds sometimes
as a disinfectant.