Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is a good solvent to remove permanent marker on plastic?

On Thu, 13 May 2010 12:59:00 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

On May 13, 1:37Â*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:57:36 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 13, 4:32?pm, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

The problem is that though it looks so smooth, uPVC is actually very
porous. Â*The ink has got right into the plastic.
As someone else has said, acetone may do it but be careful, it
dissolves lots of things & may ruin the finish.
One crafty trick if all else fails is to rub some paint of a similar
colour into the plastic with a rag.
I would give your kids water based pens in future! Â* :-)

NOT acetone!!!.
I use EXPO whiteboard cleaner (for dry erase surfaces) - it contains
butyl cellulose - according to the label, but not sure if that is the
active ingredient. Â*One Halloween kids liberally marked up my freshly
painted yellow Ambassador with permanent marker. The body shop said
it would need to be sanded down and repainted - the expo cleaner just
wiped it all right off - not a mark left.

By this do you mean a car (as in AMC). Go God! You must be a hundred
years old! ; )

Nope - not 60 yet - but the car was not new when I owned it (nor was
my 28 Chevy, 38 Terraplane,49 Vw, 53 Dodge or the vast majority of the
other roughly 35 I've owned. (only owned one new car in my life, and
it was only "new" for a day!!!)