Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default What is a good solvent to remove permanent marker on plastic?

On 5/13/2010 11:59 AM, Judy Zappacosta wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:49:45 -0400, Frank wrote:

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

I would try acetone but make sure you check a spot first because, if
plastic is something like PVC, it might dissolve. You could also try bleach.

Bleach? I'll try (I have plenty of that handy); but I thought bleach was an
oxidizer, not a solvent.

Worth a try though ...

Yes. The concern is that solvent in the marker plasticized the surface
allowing the dye to penetrate. Would make it difficult to remove with
solvent which is why I suggest bleach to de-colorize. If carbon black,
may be impossible to remove except by buffing it out.

Just yesterday, I was showing my wife how to remove stains from a
plastic cutting board with bleach as nothing she had tried was working.
Works best by soaking or leaving wet for a while.