Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is a good solvent to remove permanent marker on plastic?

On May 13, 1:37*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:57:36 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 13, 4:32?pm, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent
marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.

What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?

The problem is that though it looks so smooth, uPVC is actually very
porous. *The ink has got right into the plastic.
As someone else has said, acetone may do it but be careful, it
dissolves lots of things & may ruin the finish.
One crafty trick if all else fails is to rub some paint of a similar
colour into the plastic with a rag.
I would give your kids water based pens in future! * :-)

NOT acetone!!!.
I use EXPO whiteboard cleaner (for dry erase surfaces) - it contains
butyl cellulose - according to the label, but not sure if that is the
active ingredient. *One halloween kids liberally marked up my freshly
painted yellow ambassadore with permanent marker. The body shop said
it would need to be sanded down and repainted - the expo cleaner just
wiped it all right off - not a mark left.

Benzine and a little scouring powder, but if the plastic is fairly
old, it may be impossible. Follow up with some bleach if not
completely removed by any of the preceeding tries.