Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need ideas for less expensive pool cover & motor replacement

Has anyone an idea for fixing a pool cover less expensively than from the
pool-cover company?

Since it's a "safety" feature, I didn't expect parts to be cheap but my
vinyl Infinity 4000 pool cover was quoted at 3,000 dollars and the motor at
1,200 dollars.

Can a small motor such as that which rolls the pool cover up really cost
1200 dollars?

Or is this quote from the manufacturer just way too high?

I tried searching for Infinity 4000 parts online but haven't found any yet.

Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 May 2010 01:23:18 -0700, Melissa Andrade wrote:

Since it's a "safety" feature, I didn't expect parts to be cheap but my
vinyl Infinity 4000 pool cover was quoted at 3,000 dollars and the motor at
1,200 dollars.

It's apparently a 3/4 horsepower motor shown here
http://www.poolcoverssa.co.za/infinity.html

1200 dollars seems steep for a 3/4 hp motor, even if it is submersible.

Do you think a "regular" 3/4 hp motor will work in its place?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Melissa Andrade" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 May 2010 01:23:18 -0700, Melissa Andrade wrote:

Since it's a "safety" feature, I didn't expect parts to be cheap but my
vinyl Infinity 4000 pool cover was quoted at 3,000 dollars and the motor
at
1,200 dollars.

It's apparently a 3/4 horsepower motor shown here
http://www.poolcoverssa.co.za/infinity.html

1200 dollars seems steep for a 3/4 hp motor, even if it is submersible.

Do you think a "regular" 3/4 hp motor will work in its place?

You are not just buying a motor, but a complete drive system. A submersible
motor and stainless geared system can be quite pricey. While a regular 3/4
hp motor may work, it is subjected to a rather harsh environment and may not
last more than a year or so with the combination of water and chlorine.
They you still need a drive mechanism. If you were to assemble a system of
your own, I can see where you'd spend $500 to $700 for parts easily and they
may not work nearly as well or for long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Melissa Andrade wrote the following:
Has anyone an idea for fixing a pool cover less expensively than from the
pool-cover company?

Since it's a "safety" feature, I didn't expect parts to be cheap but my
vinyl Infinity 4000 pool cover was quoted at 3,000 dollars and the motor at
1,200 dollars.

Can a small motor such as that which rolls the pool cover up really cost
1200 dollars?

Take the motor to a electrical service center. It may be as simple as
replacing the brushes.
Is there something wrong with the actual cover?

Or is this quote from the manufacturer just way too high?

I tried searching for Infinity 4000 parts online but haven't found any yet.

Any ideas?

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 8:36 am, willshak wrote:
Melissa Andrade wrote the following:

Has anyone an idea for fixing a pool cover less expensively than from the
pool-cover company?

Since it's a "safety" feature, I didn't expect parts to be cheap but my
vinyl Infinity 4000 pool cover was quoted at 3,000 dollars and the motor at
1,200 dollars.

Can a small motor such as that which rolls the pool cover up really cost
1200 dollars?

Take the motor to a electrical service center. It may be as simple as
replacing the brushes.
Is there something wrong with the actual cover?

Exactly. Per your comments and those of Ed, are we talking replacing/
fixing just a motor or is this the price for a whole drive system?
If it's just the motor, identify it as a component itself and you will
likely find that it is available from other sources or could be
rebuilt by a local electric motor shop.

Or is this quote from the manufacturer just way too high?

I tried searching for Infinity 4000 parts online but haven't found any yet.

Any ideas?

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 May 2010 08:36:36 -0400, willshak wrote:

Take the motor to a electrical service center. It may be as simple as
replacing the brushes.

I think that is a good idea. I don't know why the motor won't start, but,
maybe they can get it to start.

Is there something wrong with the actual cover?

The cover was left retracted for years and the sun bleached the fabric so
much that it tore all along the edge where it was connected to the leader
bar across the pool.

I thought we could just cut off the first two feet of the cover but the
salesperson who came to look said he has to replaced the whole cover if any
part of it is torn (safety thing he said).

I was hoping a "sailsmith" (or whatever they're called) could sew a new
front leader onto the cover but I'm resigned to replacing the cover if I
can find a supplier other than the original company who can do it for less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 May 2010 12:58:50 -0700, Melissa Andrade
wrote:

On Tue, 04 May 2010 08:36:36 -0400, willshak wrote:

Take the motor to a electrical service center. It may be as simple as
replacing the brushes.

I think that is a good idea. I don't know why the motor won't start, but,
maybe they can get it to start.

I would first try using a mallet and tap the side of the motor, while
starting it. It may just start for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 04 May 2010 08:36:36 -0400, willshak wrote:

Take the motor to a electrical service center. It may be as simple as
replacing the brushes.

I think that is a good idea. I don't know why the motor won't start, but,
maybe they can get it to start.

I would first try using a mallet and tap the side of the motor, while
starting it. It may just start for you.

Good idea. And certainly before concluding the motor needs to be
removed, you need to verify that voltage is present at the motor.
Just because the key doesn't make it go doesn't mean it's the motor.
Could be the key switch, gfci breaker, loose wire, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 May 2010 13:01:51 -0700, Melissa Andrade
wrote:

On Tue, 4 May 2010 06:29:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

are we talking replacing/fixing just a motor or is this the price
for a whole drive system?

The pool cover is torn at the edge and the motor doesn't spin when I turn
the key.

They quoted me assuming the motor and pool cover needed to be replaced,
but, said if the motor doesn't need it, then they'll just replace the
cover.

Since I now now (after their quote) that the motor is 1200 bucks if it
needs replacing, I'm better off taking it to a motor-fix-it place as per
your recommendation.

The cover is the tough thing. I'd like to just cut off the first two feet
and then sew it (somehow) back to the pipe that it's attached to in front
but they said they had to replace the whole cover at hugely inflated
prices!

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Owning a pool is expensive. A retractable pool cover is another not
inconsiderable expense. We've had one for many years. It's usually
closed to keep dirt out and heat in. The sun takes a toll. It comes
with a 5 year warranty. We've had in replaced 3 times in 20 years.

Here's the thing about doing it yourself. It if fails, you have no
recourse. We've had the same company do all of the work. If something
fails, they can't point the finger at anyone else. A couple of times
the seams have ripped early. They came out and fixed it for no charge
or only a nominal charge.

If the seam ripped in one place, it's probably getting weak
everywhere. If you sew it yourself or have someon=e do it, you'll have
to disassemble it and then reinstall it correctly. I've watched them
to it. If it's not aligned, the motor will tear it or it'll jam.

For me, it's far cheaper in the long run to make them do it and do it
right and fix it if it breaks. ymmv. It depends on what your time and
frustration is worth.

You remind me a bit of the person who buys a high-end luxury car and
then complains about not being able to use cheap gas. If you are going
to own a pool, there will be expenses.

Now, if you don't like to trust the cover company, find another
company.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 May 2010 17:42:36 -0700, Prof Wonmug wrote:

if you don't trust the cover company, find another company.

That's the really strange thing.

I don't think there is another pool-cover company!

At least that's what they told me.

a) This is the company that makes the Infinity 4000 pool cover system.
http://www.poolcovers.com/infinity.html

b) This is their SOLE distributor/repairer for northern California!
http://www.poolcoversinc.com/infinity.shtml

c) Do you know of another pool company that will repair the Infinity 4000
in northern California?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Melissa Andrade wrote:

[...]

If all you can say is that the motor doesn't operate when you turn the
key, the motor might not be faulty at all. Could be the switch, the
wiring, the circuit breaker, whatever. Any electrician could
troubleshoot that for you.

I'd guess any pool company could offer some options for repairing the
cover, perhaps following your suggestion of cutting some off. If you
really want to cheap out, skip the pool company altogether and get a
competent handyperson out to take a look. You don't necessarily need the
manufacturer to fix it, any more than you need the dealer to service
your car.

Explicit disclaimer: I'm deliberately ignoring the liability issues, but
you shouldn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 May 2010 23:01:05 -0700, Melissa Andrade
wrote:

On Tue, 04 May 2010 17:42:36 -0700, Prof Wonmug wrote:

if you don't trust the cover company, find another company.

That's the really strange thing.

I don't think there is another pool-cover company!

At least that's what they told me.

And you believed them?

a) This is the company that makes the Infinity 4000 pool cover system.
http://www.poolcovers.com/infinity.html

b) This is their SOLE distributor/repairer for northern California!
http://www.poolcoversinc.com/infinity.shtml

c) Do you know of another pool company that will repair the Infinity 4000
in northern California?

Have you even looked yourself?

Actually, Pool Covers, Inc. is the company that installed our pool
cover and has maintained it for 20 years. They are not cheap, but they
seem reasonable. When we have had a problem, they have fixed it. When
something didn't exceed the warranty, they have either fixed it free
or prorated the cost of replacement. They've been in business since
1984, so that's something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 May 2010 02:53:35 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Melissa Andrade wrote:

[...]

You are also ignoring a couple of other potentially serious issues.
(1) Safety. Pool covers can be a hazard. Someone can get trapped
underneath and drown. I wouldn't trust a handyman to know the risks or
the laws. (2) Warranty. I would not trust a handyman to repair a
submersible motor or the complicated drive mechanism without voiding
the warranty. (3) My time. I would rather pay a few hundred dollars
more and make it their problem. It's a complicated pool cover -- not a
closet door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Prof Wonmug" wrote

You are also ignoring a couple of other potentially serious issues.
(1) Safety. Pool covers can be a hazard. Someone can get trapped
underneath and drown. I wouldn't trust a handyman to know the risks or
the laws. (2) Warranty. I would not trust a handyman to repair a
submersible motor or the complicated drive mechanism without voiding
the warranty. (3) My time. I would rather pay a few hundred dollars
more and make it their problem. It's a complicated pool cover -- not a
closet door.

You do make some good point, But. . . . . . . . . .

The pool company wants to install a $1200 motor and drive assembly but the
real problem may be a $1.29 switch. I'd check that out first.

It won't void the warranty because they want her to pay $1200, thus no
warranty. If there was warranty issues, it would be done free.

If there are other issues with the cover, they may best be done by a pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 May 2010 23:27:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It won't void the warranty because they want her to pay $1200, thus no
warranty. If there was warranty issues, it would be done free.

You're right.

Warrantees are almost useless.

At least the pool cover warrantee is almost useless to me, as I'm not the
original owner. The pool was built more than 10 years ago and the company
has no record of the cover being replaced so nothing is under warrantee ...
not the drive, not the pool, nothing.

I've never collected on a warrantee in my life so I didn't expect much
anyway from it.