Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool Cover?

I am trying to figure out a way to cover my pool. Here is a picture of
it... www.drumrx.com/9.jpg

Priority # 1 - I need to keep my 1 year old and 4 year old from
drowning.

Priority # 2 - I need to have the rain run off toward the back of the
property (narrow decking on opposite side of pool in pic)

Priority # 3 - Notice the trees... no leaves allowed!!!

Priority # 4 - It would be cool to be able to claim some of the space
in my yard in the 9 months that we do not use the pool. We are in the
north east.

The problem...

Notice the brick patio and the wood decking near the pool stairs... It
is about 14 to 16 inches above the rest of the decking around the
pool.

Notice the cut-out for the stairs, this makes the pool somewhat of an
L shape.

I have been told by the company that services my pool that a standard
safety cover will not be suitable for my application because of the
height of the patio.

I thought about 2 options...

First, to build some sort of a removeable deck that can span the 15
feet from the brick patio to the narrow decking on the other side of
the pool, and cover it with a tied down tarp. The problem with this is
A. I am worried about the weight of the entire thing when on the pool,
and B. because I would have to remove and store these "removable deck
sections" they could not be that wide, or that heavy. Fat chance being
that I would have to use 2 x 12's of PTL to span the 15 feet.

Second, I thought it would be cool to have a bunch of floating dock
sections like offered by a company called EZDock... Again, covered by
a tied down tarp. I thought this was a neat idea until I found out
that it would cost about $13,000... Not worth that kind of money.
Although I would not rule out some other floating mechanism as it
would allow me to walk on it and use the space in my yard.

I still do not know what to do. I need to replace the "tarp with water
bags" system that I have now, it is a pain to maintain, and my kids
cannot use my yard for 9 months out of the year for I fear that they
would drown.

Any suggestions would be helpful...

Thanks,

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I'm not seeing why a custom fit safety cover wouldn't work

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you speaking of the anchored down variety? Kind of like the one
that they advertise with an elephant on it? Because almost 50% of the
perimeter of the pool is higher than the rest, this would make for a
very odd shaped custom cover wouldnt it? I mean, if the cover is to be
pulled tightly, what happens with the right-triangle shaped opening
that would be there just after the drop off from the patio for
example? Do they sell some kind of wedge or something that is to be
installed to act as a slope?

As I said in my post, I wouuld like to be able to walk on it, I am not
sure the "safety" covers are meant for that. Although I am probably
just out of luck on that... I guess I could live with enough saftey
for my kids to run across it to get a ball or something though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 2/28/2008 8:48 PM said the following:
[...]

I had a solid pool cover over my 18' x 36' inground pool with a 4' wide
step at one end for 20 years. I got tired of shoveling off all the
leaves from the top of the cover plus 6"-8" of rainwater and melted snow
when I went to open it in the late Spring This winter I got one of
those fine mesh safety covers that allow rain and melt water to seep
through. All the fallen leaves had blown off before the first snowfall
here in the NE US. I don't know what to expect when I take it off in the
summer, but those who have them say that it is not too bad.
Mine cost around $800, and I had to drill about 40 holes in the
concrete deck around the pool, but that's another story that I won't
revisit here.
I got mine here. http://www.intheswim.com/Landing/safetycovers.aspx
They have many standard configurations and can even custom build one if
none fit yours.
When the box was delivered, I discovered that it was built about 15
minutes from me. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply... Question.... Can you tell me more about the
"solid" cover you had?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well ... SteveB....

Thanks for weighing in, but as to your comments that "You sound like
it's the children are a bother, "...

As I stated my children's safety IS MY FIRST PRIORITY!!! This is why
they are currently not allowed outside under any circumstances when
the pool is covered, and in the summer, only allowed outside under
STRICT supervision at ALL times... to suggest that I need to "Watch my
kids." is beyond the pale, and over and above and kind of advice I am
asking for here... in addition, it borders on downright obnoxious
banter on your part...

A fence like the one you had mentioned is NOT as safe as a safety
cover IMHO... Any kid can climb a small fence. My kid is NOT going to
be able to unbolt all anchored tie downs on a safety cover. My
original post said that I wanted to protect my kids first, keep rain
and leaves out secondarily, and maybe provide a means to claim yard
space. The fence idea does absolutely NONE of these.

Thanks anyway. Anyone else want to give me some ideas without
lecturing me on how to raise my children?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Start with the simplest thing. Watch your kids. This is the major cause of
children drowning.

From what I can see, the fence around the pool is the last and only line of
defense? Is that so? IOW, if the children can get out the back door, is
there or is there not another fence between them and their ancestors?

You may want to put up another fence that will isolate the pool further. I
know this is going to cut down on the usability of the yard, but you have a
small crowded yard already.

My daughter and SIL have a small yard like you, and were able to put up a
system they bought that has posts, and screen sections that can be stretched
across and retracted in different combinations depending on the yard usage
and children present.

What you seem to want to be able to do, and cannot do is to have the yard
like it is, and somehow have a floating barrier on the pool. Well, yes, you
can have that, but they are expensive, heavy, and a real PITA to move around
when you DO want to swim.

About all I can see you doing is putting up a fence close to the pool and
losing some of the usable back yard you do have. You are limited because of
the size and shape of the pool, the heights, and the size and shape of the
back yard itself. What is code where you live? Maybe you already need a
perimeter fence around the pool ONLY, as you plainly understand your present
situation presents a drowning hazard to the children.

You sound like it's the children are a bother, no one understands your
plight, and everyone wants to sell you an expensive system.

Stand back and look at it like it was someone else's house. What would you
suggest then? You can't have it all unless you expand your yard, buy a
bigger house, or make some compromises.

Steve, who was a steel erection contractor for ten years, and solved many a
pool hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Are you speaking of the anchored down variety? Kind of like the one
that they advertise with an elephant on it? Because almost 50% of the
perimeter of the pool is higher than the rest, this would make for a
very odd shaped custom cover wouldnt it? I mean, if the cover is to be
pulled tightly, what happens with the right-triangle shaped opening
that would be there just after the drop off from the patio for
example? Do they sell some kind of wedge or something that is to be
installed to act as a slope?

As I said in my post, I wouuld like to be able to walk on it, I am not
sure the "safety" covers are meant for that. Although I am probably
just out of luck on that... I guess I could live with enough saftey
for my kids to run across it to get a ball or something though

I don't see the elevation in your picture. All I see is an L shaped pool and
a table. I doubt any cover is made to be walked on, and anything you
construct to do so, will be a pita to set up, break down, as well as store

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know it is hard to see from the pic... If you look over toward the
pool stairs, you can see that there are 2 stairs on the wood decking
there.

As far as it being a PIA to setup and store... I have the room to
store it if I did some sort of remoable deck so long as the sections
were less than say... 4 feet. Each section would be heavy and a pain
to put of and take off, but I would only be doing this once a year
with lots of help.

Thanks for the resonses though. I will keep plugging away for ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

You're welcome. Check with local safety officials. Although they'll tell
you the same thing, and you'll still resent it. You seem bothered by having
to secure your pool from your kids in the first place.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 29, 6:09 am, wrote:
I know it is hard to see from the pic... If you look over toward the
pool stairs, you can see that there are 2 stairs on the wood decking
there.

As far as it being a PIA to setup and store... I have the room to
store it if I did some sort of remoable deck so long as the sections
were less than say... 4 feet. Each section would be heavy and a pain
to put of and take off, but I would only be doing this once a year
with lots of help.

Thanks for the resonses though. I will keep plugging away for ideas.

Frank-

A couple more photos from the shallow end of the pool & from the far
side of the yard would help flesh out the geometry you have.

from your OP.....

A. I am worried about the weight of the entire thing when on the pool and

I didn't understand your issue.... Are you concerned whether the pool
structure can take the load of the cover?

If you've got a place to store the "cover sections" and help with the
removal then cover sections made from joists & plywood sound like the
way to go. Four foot sections would minimize the number of joist,
over 24", 30" or 32" sections but the 48" sections would be rather
heavy.

The stored sections will stack pretty high as well.

You've have to check but depending on the design load you could get
away with a 2x10 maybe even a 2x8.... I'd skin the bottom side to
increase stiffness and make handing easier. Because of the pool
moisture & weather exposure I'd suggest pre-painting all surface
before construction.

I'm guessing your pool is ~15 x 30? Not an insignificant project but
doable with skills & help.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

*"You seem bothered by having
to secure your pool from your kids in the first place."

Bothered? Not really, perhaps you are taking my posts in the wrong
way.

I am not bothered, rather I am frustrated because I am having a hard
time finding a cover that will work on my odd shaped pool.

Your're probably right though, that I should check the local building
code if I intend on installing a semi-permanent structure. They will
probably not even allow such a thing. I do know that the local code
does not require me to install another fence around the pool itself,
only that the entire yard is fenced in and locked, which it already
is.

The fence idea may be enough for safety for the kids, but does nothing
to prevent rain, snow and leaves from entering the pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not a problem with stacking them for storage, I have a "side yard" not
show in the pic that runs the length of the house.

My concern with this approach would be... will building code allow it?
I guess only my local town would anser that. But lets say they did...

I was thinking 2x12's topped off with either plywood, or deck
boards... each section would need to be about 3 feet wide (for weight
purposes), and 18 or so feet across the pool. The pool is 16ft x 32ft.
Question, can you even span 18 feet with PTL 2x12's, can you even get
them at 18 feet? Would my pool structure even support all the weight
on it?

Does any of this seem feasible, or am I just crazy?
Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Feb 28, 5:48 pm, wrote:
I am trying to figure out a way to cover my pool. Here is a picture of
it...www.drumrx.com/9.jpg

Priority # 1 - I need to keep my 1 year old and 4 year old from
drowning.

Self closing fence, no direct access from the house, teach the kids to
swim, and a safety cover, and very strict pool rules,supervision and
consequences.
We had both our children in Swim babe lessons at 1-2 years old.
Thankfully we never had a problem and they grew up swimming as long as
they could remember.

Priority # 2 - I need to have the rain run off toward the back of the
property (narrow decking on opposite side of pool in pic)

Use a Mesh safety cover.

Priority # 3 - Notice the trees... no leaves allowed!!!

Again a Mesh cover will let the rain through and leaves out.

Priority # 4 - It would be cool to be able to claim some of the space
in my yard in the 9 months that we do not use the pool. We are in the
north east.

The mesh safety cover should take up the least space.

The problem...

Notice the brick patio and the wood decking near the pool stairs... It
is about 14 to 16 inches above the rest of the decking around the
pool.

The cover doesn't need to go on the deck. I don't see the problem, but
maybe I'm missing something.

Notice the cut-out for the stairs, this makes the pool somewhat of an
L shape.

No problem. I measured and installed my own on a kidney shaped pool,
the L shape would be no problem.

I have been told by the company that services my pool that a standard
safety cover will not be suitable for my application because of the
height of the patio.

They must be talking about an off the shelf cover. You should be able
to measure and have made a custom fit one for your pool that doesn't
touch the deck.

Try "In The Swim" Thats were I got mine about 8 years ago. $600-700
dollars for a kidney shaped 16x32. I'm sure it's a little more now.
The mesh is so much better than the solid cover I replaced. I would
never consider a solid cover again.

No offense, but your other options sound dreadful.

-Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

I should really post another pic taken from the other side of the
yard, seems like nobody can see the height difference from patio to
pool. I just do not see how a mesh cover can work on this pool, sorry
bout that... I will repost tomorrow. Thanks for all your input
everyone... much appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 29, 12:00 pm, wrote:
Not a problem with stacking them for storage, I have a "side yard" not
show in the pic that runs the length of the house.

My concern with this approach would be... will building code allow it?
I guess only my local town would anser that. But lets say they did...

I was thinking 2x12's topped off with either plywood, or deck
boards... each section would need to be about 3 feet wide (for weight
purposes), and 18 or so feet across the pool. The pool is 16ft x 32ft.
Question, can you even span 18 feet with PTL 2x12's, can you even get
them at 18 feet? Would my pool structure even support all the weight
on it?

Does any of this seem feasible, or am I just crazy?

Frank-

A "hard" pool cover would be similar to a raised wooden deck....there
are design requirements for it.
I'm guessing about 50 psf LL & another 10 DL.

Is the pool edge to pool edge span 15'? or 18'? Big difference.

Plywood wood deck would help the span stiffness.....deck boards won't.

I'm not sure PTL is required if you provide a means of ventilation
but

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...rcalcstyle.asp

Designing & building a deck / cover is easily feasible...that's how
engineers & contractors make their livings.

It's not going to be cheap though..... material alone will be a
several $1,000's.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
On Feb 29, 12:00 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes, but that would be much easier than actually supervising the little
darlings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks BobK. The span would need to be 18 ft because the pool is 16x32
actually. I will check with building codes. I am not concerned about
the 1000's of dollars, my kids safety way more important than money. I
hear you on the plywood, you think 1/2 inch would be OK, or would this
need to be 3/4. I would certaily do PTL on the joists and paint the
entire thing. 2x12 would be needed on such a span I would think.

As for SteveB... Go play somewhere, I'm busy. I do not have time for
you and your idiotic, childish diatribe. Perhaps there is a kiddie
chat room somewhere for you to go to instead?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 9:17 am, wrote:
Thanks BobK. The span would need to be 18 ft because the pool is 16x32
actually. I will check with building codes. I am not concerned about
the 1000's of dollars, my kids safety way more important than money. I
hear you on the plywood, you think 1/2 inch would be OK, or would this
need to be 3/4. I would certaily do PTL on the joists and paint the
entire thing. 2x12 would be needed on such a span I would think.

Frank-

To get this done, you need to either do some design work yourself or
hire a professional to do it for you.

I'm confused, if the pool is 16 ft wide...why would the span be 18
ft?

There are design codes (span allowables for floors) for plywood based
on plywood thickness & joist spacing.

1/2" plywood (15/32") has allowable span rating 32/16 which means
it can be used for floor applications at joist spacing of 16" (or
closer)

You can always go for minimum allowable thickness but it depends on
how you want your deck to feel.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"I'm confused, if the pool is 16 ft wide...why would the span be 18
ft?"

The joists would have to be larger than the pool itself, no? I was
thinking that they would need to extend about a foot or so on either
side of the pool. How else could it be done?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 6:02 pm, wrote:
"I'm confused, if the pool is 16 ft wide...why would the span be 18
ft?"

The joists would have to be larger than the pool itself, no? I was
thinking that they would need to extend about a foot or so on either
side of the pool. How else could it be done?

Frank-

This is why you need a design / construction pro....the definition of
"span" is the clear distance between supports. Hence the term "clear
span".

The fact that you have been concerned about the pool supporting the
deck load plus thinking that the joists extending beyond the edge of
the pool also extends the "span" tells me that you are in over your
depth...get in touch with someone local) who can do this design for
you.

This isn't the space shuttle....its just a deck over a pool.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Mar 1, 2:14 am, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

On Feb 29, 12:00 pm, wrote:
[...]

What's your problem dumb ass. Shut the F**K up. No one wants your
retarded opinion.
Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Feb 29, 5:56 pm, wrote:
I should really post another pic taken from the other side of the
yard, seems like nobody can see the height difference from patio to
pool. I just do not see how a mesh cover can work on this pool, sorry
bout that... I will repost tomorrow. Thanks for all your input
everyone... much appreciated.

Post another picture if you can. Are you saying the the edge of the
pool is not at the same level?

-Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

There was a similar thread on this group a few months back and
someone was looking at a floating dock.

Yep Dan that was me actually... I am still looking for a solution. I
loved the floating idea with EZDock sections, but it was really
pricey, about 13K. And I am leery about using foam billets because of
the weather here... I think that the winter will eat up the foam
pretty good.

As to BobK, thanks again, and you are correct, I am not a builder, nor
am I an architect. I am pretty handy though, and have done some
framing, decking etc... Nohjting like this though... Maybe I am in a
little over my head here, but thanks a million for your time, at least
I know that there are others who are sypathetic to my plight, are
reasonable, and have made me feel that I am not crazy, that it is
possible, and that....well... just thanks a lot man.

I will be sure to repost here when I do find a solution, as I was not
able to find anyone else on any board, or anywhere else for that
matter, who has done anything like what I am trying to do.

Thanks again all.