Posted to alt.home.repair
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Need ideas for less expensive pool cover & motor replacement

On Wed, 05 May 2010 02:53:35 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Melissa Andrade wrote:

On Tue, 4 May 2010 06:29:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

are we talking replacing/fixing just a motor or is this the price
for a whole drive system?

The pool cover is torn at the edge and the motor doesn't spin when I turn
the key.

They quoted me assuming the motor and pool cover needed to be replaced,
but, said if the motor doesn't need it, then they'll just replace the
cover.

Since I now now (after their quote) that the motor is 1200 bucks if it
needs replacing, I'm better off taking it to a motor-fix-it place as per
your recommendation.

The cover is the tough thing. I'd like to just cut off the first two feet
and then sew it (somehow) back to the pipe that it's attached to in front
but they said they had to replace the whole cover at hugely inflated
prices!

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

If all you can say is that the motor doesn't operate when you turn the
key, the motor might not be faulty at all. Could be the switch, the
wiring, the circuit breaker, whatever. Any electrician could
troubleshoot that for you.

I'd guess any pool company could offer some options for repairing the
cover, perhaps following your suggestion of cutting some off. If you
really want to cheap out, skip the pool company altogether and get a
competent handyperson out to take a look. You don't necessarily need the
manufacturer to fix it, any more than you need the dealer to service
your car.

Explicit disclaimer: I'm deliberately ignoring the liability issues, but
you shouldn't.

You are also ignoring a couple of other potentially serious issues.
(1) Safety. Pool covers can be a hazard. Someone can get trapped
underneath and drown. I wouldn't trust a handyman to know the risks or
the laws. (2) Warranty. I would not trust a handyman to repair a
submersible motor or the complicated drive mechanism without voiding
the warranty. (3) My time. I would rather pay a few hundred dollars
more and make it their problem. It's a complicated pool cover -- not a
closet door.