Posted to alt.home.repair
Rufus14o58

Default Dehumidifier fan motor too expensive

Hi,

I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I
figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor
costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the
value of the entire unit?

Not worth fixing..... I guess I'm just venting - sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Rufus14o58 wrote:

Hi,

I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I
figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor
costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the
value of the entire unit?

Not worth fixing..... I guess I'm just venting - sorry.

http://www.repairclinic.com/0001.asp
There are others, this is one on-line outfit that
caters to DIY.
See if they can source a motor for you.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rufus14o58" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I
figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor
costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the
value of the entire unit?

Not worth fixing..... I guess I'm just venting - sorry.

Northing special about it, but they can charge what they want to. You can
often find motors at other sources, such as www.grainger.com or
www.repairclinic.com Gibson is made by Frigidaire If it is a proprietary
motor the seller can gouge you as they see fit. Half the cost is cheap if
the unit is relatively new, expensive if it is five or more years old since
it may die of other causes soon anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I was out of town one time away from my parts suppliers. A friend's
dehum wasn't working, and it was the fan. I went to Kmart, and bought
a little table top fan, with pedestal base. Some serious modification
later, and I had the table top fan cut to shape, shrouded, wired in,
and going. Asked a couple months later, and it was running nicely.

You don't always need to use the factory spec part to make something
work. All you need, here, is air flow.

Remit 48.50 for advice, please.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Rufus14o58" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I
figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor
costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the
value of the entire unit?

Not worth fixing..... I guess I'm just venting - sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ted harris

In news:Rufus14o58 typed:
I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I
figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor
costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the
value of the entire unit?

I have found good luck here with very cheap prices...
http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rufus14o58

This is all good information - I'm going postpone throwing it out and
make a project out of it.

Thanks all