Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 6:36*pm, hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. *Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. *Any
truth to this statement?

Yes...until the snow blows off.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

In ,
* U S * hereiam@home. typed:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Wellll, I don't know how long the snow will last in a 70 mph wind, but
otherwise I suppose there's a bit of truth to itg!

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

* U S * wrote the following:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.
Worse yet is that we have a travel restriction in effect. All
non-emergency travel is prohibited.
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck but I can't now with the
travel restriction.
Damn those anti-siphon gas tanks.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:01:14 -0500, willshak
wrote:

* U S * wrote the following:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.
Worse yet is that we have a travel restriction in effect. All
non-emergency travel is prohibited.
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck but I can't now with the
travel restriction.
Damn those anti-siphon gas tanks.

We had 50" of snow within 4 days. This was a couple of weeks ago. It
probably won't blow off roof. This time, you're getting hammered with
snow. We're expecting only a few inches but monster winds. Power is
still on. House generator will supply power for about two days but
I'm worried about structural damage. Good luck.

Central Maryland

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 25, 6:36 pm, hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Yes...until the snow blows off.

Well, if the bottom layer of snow on the roof has fused into ice, from
the odd hour of sunlight, compression, and thermal cycling, that will
provide a layer of protection. Of course a layer of ice or near-ice on
your roof causes other things to worry about.

Finally broke down and bought a roof rake this year, for that one
problem stretch and inside corner on the lee side of the roof that loves
to form a snow cornice, and load the gutter up with several hundred
pounds of ice. It helps, as long as I stay after it with each fresh
snowfall. But I still wanna beat on whoever owned this place when
addition was put on, for the stupid way they tied the roofs together,
creating little dead pockets where the swirling air packs the snow into
a fine foundation for the snow cornice. It resulted in previous owner
having to replace the kitchen window, from where the stupid design and
metal-wrapped gutter boards led melt water across soffit and into wall
around window. I'll never wrap a gutter board- use rot-resistant wood,
or fake wood. I had to peel the wrap down on the backside, and form a
drain point for the water, to keep same problem from happening again.
I'm sure that end of the gutter board is completely rotted in there,
because there is a gap above the wrap and back of gutter, below the drip
edge, such that water is forced in there when gutter are overflowing or
full of half-melted snow/ice. I'll probably leave it for next owner to
fix, because once you open up something like that, where do you stop?

--
aem sends...
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

wrote in news:nv3fo5h8jhn9820pgtk8e8tomov8ivd683@
4ax.com:

wrote:

* U S * wrote the following:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.
Worse yet is that we have a travel restriction in effect. All
non-emergency travel is prohibited.

How do they define "emergency"? I always wondered about that.
To me, running out of cigarettes is an emergency, and I will go to the
store under any conditions to get them, 24/7/365. I can guarantee
that law enforcement persons do not want to deal with me when I am
having a nicotine fit. (or anyone else).

Don't forget m&m's and beef jerky while you're there.

In your case, it sounds like getting gas is an emergency. Not as
serious as my need for cigarettes, but still an emergency.

On the other hand, I prepare for things like this. I always keep cans
of gasoline on hand, as well as food, and most importantly, a few
cartons of cigarettes. A person never knows when there will be a
disaster, so it's best to prepare ahead of time.

My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck but I can't now with the
travel restriction.
Damn those anti-siphon gas tanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That story is repeated, the world over. People
undererstimate how much gasoline a generator can
use. Wide open, some take a galon an hour.

For the rest of us, fill the gas cans before the
storm. During the storm, minimize the electric
use, so the gas lasts longer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in
message
m...

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much
snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind
speeds.
Worse yet is that we have a travel restriction in
effect. All
non-emergency travel is prohibited.
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator
running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck but I
can't now with the
travel restriction.
Damn those anti-siphon gas tanks.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

* U S * wrote the following:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.
Worse yet is that we have a travel restriction in effect. All
non-emergency travel is prohibited.
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck but I can't now with the
travel restriction.
Damn those anti-siphon gas tanks.

I would call gas for a generator an emergency. It is being used to heat
your house, to run your furnace, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

* U S * wrote the following:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. *Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. *Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.
Worse yet is that we have a travel restriction in effect. All
non-emergency travel is prohibited.
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck *but I can't now with the
travel restriction.
Damn those anti-siphon gas tanks.

I would call gas for a generator an emergency. It is being used to heat
your house, to run your furnace, right?

....and post to a.h.r.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:01:14 -0500, willshak wrote:
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck but I can't now with the
travel restriction.

I think that should count as an emergency - if you get stopped by a cop
and tell them you're getting gas so you can keep the power on at your
house and cook, not freeze etc. I'm sure they'd understand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:31:02 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That story is repeated, the world over. People
undererstimate how much gasoline a generator can
use. Wide open, some take a galon an hour.

Had some friends in NZ with a pair that'd go through a gallon of diesel a
minute under full load... :-)

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

* U S * wrote:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

The snow will blow. If it has turned to ice, then the chunks of ice
likely will become missiles. We had 70 mph winds on Gulf coast during
one of the 2005 blow-bys...forget the names. Lots of shingles missing
in the neighborhood. It appeared, mainly, to affect old roofs. Very few
trees down. Loosened concrete tiles from roofs, as well. It took all
of my husband's considerable strength to retrieve one of our wheeled
trash cans that was blowing down the street. Plywood over windows would
be in order before the storm...not fun. We tried it once, then got
hurricane shutters.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Jules wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:01:14 -0500, willshak wrote:
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck but I can't now with the
travel restriction.

I think that should count as an emergency - if you get stopped by a cop
and tell them you're getting gas so you can keep the power on at your
house and cook, not freeze etc. I'm sure they'd understand.

If the order is for emergency vehicles only, they might have a system to
deliver fuel.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

willshak wrote:
* U S * wrote the following:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.

Not used to snow and wind, eh???

Out here (high plains) we're surprised if the wind doesn't blow when it
snows (or most of the rest of the time, too, for that matter)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, THAT is a big, furry pair.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules"
wrote
in message
news On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:31:02 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

That story is repeated, the world over. People
undererstimate how much gasoline a generator can
use. Wide open, some take a galon an hour.

Had some friends in NZ with a pair that'd go
through a gallon of diesel a
minute under full load... :-)

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:41:35 -0600, dpb wrote:

willshak wrote:
* U S * wrote the following:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.

Not used to snow and wind, eh???

Out here (high plains) we're surprised if the wind doesn't blow when it
snows (or most of the rest of the time, too, for that matter)...

So tell me high plains drifter, how often do you get 50 inches of snow
within 4 days as we did. Usual snow here in this sissy Mid-Atlantic
town is 21 inches a year but this year my town has gotten 92 so far.

As for the other poster who needs gasoline, I read this morning that
his county in New York has 20 inches on the ground from this
particular storm and they're expecting another 10 more. And it's the
heavy wet stuff that murders power lines.

Sorry to whine but I reckon we ain't as tough as you pioneer types.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:43:53 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
That story is repeated, the world over. People
undererstimate how much gasoline a generator can
use. Wide open, some take a galon an hour.

Had some friends in NZ with a pair that'd go through a gallon of
diesel a minute under full load... :-)

Now, THAT is a big, furry pair.

Yeah, engines were 44,000 cubic inch straight-8's (two-stroke)... each
was hooked to a big alternator (1200kVA if I remember right). All 1930's
tech, so I'm sure they were ridiculously inefficient by modern standards!

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 8:01*pm, willshak wrote:
Worse yet is that we have a travel restriction in effect. All
non-emergency travel is prohibited.
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck *but I can't now with the
travel restriction.

Sure you can. Bet you won't see a cop at all the entire time you're
out.

Plus, you could consider it an emergency.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote in news:4b870971.40976109
@news.usenetmonster.com:

Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

http://nsidc.org/snow/faq.html

Why is snow a good insulator?

Fresh, undisturbed snow is composed of a high percentage of air trapped
among the lattice structure of the accumulated snow crystals. Since the air
can barely move, heat transfer is greatly reduced. Fresh, uncompacted snow
typically is 90-95 percent trapped air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 12:52*pm, Red Green wrote:
hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote in news:4b870971.40976109
@news.usenetmonster.com:

Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. *Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. *Any
truth to this statement?

http://nsidc.org/snow/faq.html

Why is snow a good insulator?

Fresh, undisturbed snow is composed of a high percentage of air trapped
among the lattice structure of the accumulated snow crystals. Since the air
can barely move, heat transfer is greatly reduced. Fresh, uncompacted snow
typically is 90-95 percent trapped air.

I spent some time in Alaska. It would be 20 - 30F below zero and the
huskies would just lie down and get buried in the falling snow. We'd
go out for walks and see these mounds of snow start to move and up
would pop the huskies, all warm and toasty ready to go romping through
the tundra.

On days when we didn't get snow, the dogs would find a place to huddle
together out of the wind to try and keep warm.

They certainly knew how good of an insulator the snow was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I was a kid, I used to make snow caves, and
burry myself in snow. Much warmer than being on
the surface.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03"
wrote in message

I spent some time in Alaska. It would be 20 - 30F
below zero and the
huskies would just lie down and get buried in the
falling snow. We'd
go out for walks and see these mounds of snow
start to move and up
would pop the huskies, all warm and toasty ready
to go romping through
the tundra.

On days when we didn't get snow, the dogs would
find a place to huddle
together out of the wind to try and keep warm.

They certainly knew how good of an insulator the
snow was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

Frank Zappa had words of wisdom for you then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 5:38*pm, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote :

[...]

Great Googly Moogly!

Ya know, for some reason, just the look of that disgusts me. Don't
know why...it just does.

I drag my dogs out of the driveway before I let them go so I don't
have to look at it. If the wife or kids let them leave their marks, I
grab a shovel and move/cover it.

I'll plan to get help for that...someday.

Sincerely,

Father Vivian O'Blivion
Posted to alt.home.repair

* U S * wrote the following:

Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.
Worse yet is that we have a travel restriction in effect. All
non-emergency travel is prohibited.
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck but I can't now with the
travel restriction.
Damn those anti-siphon gas tanks.

I would call gas for a generator an emergency. It is being used to heat
your house, to run your furnace, right?

...and post to a.h.r.

Nope, my roadrunner went out with the electric..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:
That story is repeated, the world over. People
undererstimate how much gasoline a generator can
use. Wide open, some take a galon an hour.

For the rest of us, fill the gas cans before the
storm. During the storm, minimize the electric
use, so the gas lasts longer.

The power, cable TV and Roadrunner came back on at about 8:20 PM
tonight. For a while we didn't have landline phone either.
I saw some utility guys from Michigan earlier today working on the lines.
My Generac 5500XL generator ran through about 30 gallons of gas for the
72 hours running the whole house. It has a 7 gallon tank and it lasted
for about 16 hours a tank full, so that works out to about 0.44 gallons
an hour.
I have a lot of broken branches to clean up, and a 12" diameter Maple
tree trunk split off from the main trunk and cut a nice junk out of my
6' high wooden privacy fence.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:36:19 GMT, hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote:

Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Sure, unless you can get some very little guy to crawl under the snow
and lift up the shingles.

I've installed a cooler so I can keep snow on my roof all year long.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

* U S * wrote the following:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.
Worse yet is that we have a travel restriction in effect. All
non-emergency travel is prohibited.
My power went out earlier, but I have a generator running but not much
gasoline left.
I was going to go get some in my 4x4 truck but I can't now with the
travel restriction.
Damn those anti-siphon gas tanks.

We had 50" of snow within 4 days. This was a couple of weeks ago. It

Yeah, I'm in Maryland too. Baltimore. I had a wedding to go to, two
weeks ago Wednesday. The roads were bad until we got 20 miles south
of DC, but after that it was fine.

My friend had a Rav 4. I don't know what that is. Today my friend
says it has unintended acceleration, but only a little. !!!!

I don't know. He did all the driving, 10 or 11 hours each way.

And when we got to Myrtle Beach S. Car., it snowed there too.

probably won't blow off roof. This time, you're getting hammered with
snow. We're expecting only a few inches but monster winds. Power is
still on. House generator will supply power for about two days but
I'm worried about structural damage. Good luck.

Central Maryland

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:52:10 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote in news:4b870971.40976109
:

Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

http://nsidc.org/snow/faq.html

Why is snow a good insulator?

Fresh, undisturbed snow is composed of a high percentage of air trapped
among the lattice structure of the accumulated snow crystals. Since the air
can barely move, heat transfer is greatly reduced. Fresh, uncompacted snow
typically is 90-95 percent trapped air.

This is outrageous.

We at People for the Ethical Treatment of Air think that the air
should be set free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think that the air should be tagged before it's
released.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote in
:

Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said
that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my
case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

http://nsidc.org/snow/faq.html

Why is snow a good insulator?

Fresh, undisturbed snow is composed of a high
percentage of air trapped
among the lattice structure of the accumulated
snow crystals. Since the air
can barely move, heat transfer is greatly
reduced. Fresh, uncompacted snow
typically is 90-95 percent trapped air.

This is outrageous.

We at People for the Ethical Treatment of Air
think that the air
should be set free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

The power, cable TV and Roadrunner came back on at about 8:20 PM
tonight. For a while we didn't have landline phone either.
I saw some utility guys from Michigan earlier today working on the lines.
My Generac 5500XL generator ran through about 30 gallons of gas for the
72 hours running the whole house. It has a 7 gallon tank and it lasted
for about 16 hours a tank full, so that works out to about 0.44 gallons
an hour.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I strongly suggest that anyone thinking about getting a gasoline-powered
generator for backup power consider:

1. How much power is REALLY NEEDED?
2. How much gasoline is required per hour of power

After reflecting on the above and doing a bit of calulating, I
determined that I could get by with the 1600 running watts, 2000 surge
watts, provided by a little Honda EU2000i. The EU2000i weighs a bit more
than 50 lbs, has the dimensions of a medium-sized suitcase and produces
clean power.

I routinely, and concurrently, power a 1/3 hp natural gas furnace
blower, avg-sized refrigerator, small chest freezer and the odd radio
and/or light. I can choose to power a 1/3 hp sump pump and hook up the
frig and freezer only as-needed, determined by using a couple of
battery-powered cheap thermometers with remote probes .

I've powered ALL of those things at the same time and RUN FOR MORE THAN
8 HOURS ON LESS THAN THE APPROX. 1 GALLON CAPACITY FUEL TANK. I suppose
if any 2 or more of the inductive loads tried to START at the same time,
it would trigger an overload cutoff -- merely an inconvenience -- but
that hasn't happened yet.

I can feel pretty comfortable keeping 5 gallons of FRESH gasoline on
hand along with a Super Siphon in case I need to tap into the car's gas
tank -- no anti-siphon tank por moi "vintage" automobile.

I believe, for most people, the fuel storage requirements for a given
generator should be a MAJOR consideration in deciding what generator is
appropriate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

* U S * wrote the following:

[...]

That's what I meant. You should be allowed to go out for gas because
it's an emergency when you can't heat your house...or post to
a.h.r. ;-)
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Toyota acceleration Was Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

mm wrote:

My friend had a Rav 4. I don't know what that is. Today my friend
says it has unintended acceleration, but only a little. !!!!

If I owned one of those Toyota vehicles affected, I would install an
auxiliary engine kill switch before I drove it again.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
mm wrote:

My friend had a Rav 4. I don't know what that is. Today my friend
says it has unintended acceleration, but only a little. !!!!

If I owned one of those Toyota vehicles affected, I would install an
auxiliary engine kill switch before I drove it again.

And when you kill the engine you loose both power steering and power brakes.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Tony wrote:
mm wrote:

My friend had a Rav 4. I don't know what that is. Today my friend
says it has unintended acceleration, but only a little. !!!!

If I owned one of those Toyota vehicles affected, I would install an
auxiliary engine kill switch before I drove it again.

And when you kill the engine you loose both power steering and power
brakes.

Loose it, or it becomes more difficult? That would be a shame if I
couldn't steer or brake my car because I ran out of gasoline. Are there
any vehicles like that?

When I taught my niece to drive, in a large empty parking lot, at about
35mph I told her I was turning off the engine. Then I told her to make
a left hand turn. She's a tiny little thing but she struggled and it
did turn. As far as the brakes, if it's vacuum assisted you still have
normal braking until you pump it too many times and runs out of the
vacuum. Don't pump them, apply pressure until you stop.

I told her that if her engine ever dies for whatever reason, that will
be the result, so be ready for it.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

LouB wrote:
Tony wrote:
mm wrote:

My friend had a Rav 4. I don't know what that is. Today my friend
says it has unintended acceleration, but only a little. !!!!

If I owned one of those Toyota vehicles affected, I would install an
auxiliary engine kill switch before I drove it again.

And when you kill the engine you loose both power steering and power
brakes.

Better than uncontrolled acceleration, undoubtedly.

Unless they're fully hydraulic steering (of which I know of no autos; do
have such a tractor), it's only the power assist that's lost, not
steering. Same w/ the brakes, it's only the power assist.

The actual recommendation is to shift to neutral and let it over-rev;
what possibility/likelihood of blowing an engine is I've not firm
estimate but if that happens you're in same boat anyway...