Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:41:35 -0600, dpb wrote:

willshak wrote:
* U S * wrote the following:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Is your snow heavy? Mine is.I doubt whether much snow will be blown off
the roof unless there are constant high wind speeds.

Not used to snow and wind, eh???

Out here (high plains) we're surprised if the wind doesn't blow when it
snows (or most of the rest of the time, too, for that matter)...

So tell me high plains drifter, how often do you get 50 inches of snow
within 4 days as we did. Usual snow here in this sissy Mid-Atlantic
town is 21 inches a year but this year my town has gotten 92 so far.

As for the other poster who needs gasoline, I read this morning that
his county in New York has 20 inches on the ground from this
particular storm and they're expecting another 10 more. And it's the
heavy wet stuff that murders power lines.

Sorry to whine but I reckon we ain't as tough as you pioneer types.