Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

On Feb 26, 12:52*pm, Red Green wrote:
hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote in news:4b870971.40976109
@news.usenetmonster.com:

Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. *Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. *Any
truth to this statement?

http://nsidc.org/snow/faq.html

Why is snow a good insulator?

Fresh, undisturbed snow is composed of a high percentage of air trapped
among the lattice structure of the accumulated snow crystals. Since the air
can barely move, heat transfer is greatly reduced. Fresh, uncompacted snow
typically is 90-95 percent trapped air.

I spent some time in Alaska. It would be 20 - 30F below zero and the
huskies would just lie down and get buried in the falling snow. We'd
go out for walks and see these mounds of snow start to move and up
would pop the huskies, all warm and toasty ready to go romping through
the tundra.

On days when we didn't get snow, the dogs would find a place to huddle
together out of the wind to try and keep warm.

They certainly knew how good of an insulator the snow was.