Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 25, 6:36 pm, hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

Yes...until the snow blows off.

Well, if the bottom layer of snow on the roof has fused into ice, from
the odd hour of sunlight, compression, and thermal cycling, that will
provide a layer of protection. Of course a layer of ice or near-ice on
your roof causes other things to worry about.

Finally broke down and bought a roof rake this year, for that one
problem stretch and inside corner on the lee side of the roof that loves
to form a snow cornice, and load the gutter up with several hundred
pounds of ice. It helps, as long as I stay after it with each fresh
snowfall. But I still wanna beat on whoever owned this place when
addition was put on, for the stupid way they tied the roofs together,
creating little dead pockets where the swirling air packs the snow into
a fine foundation for the snow cornice. It resulted in previous owner
having to replace the kitchen window, from where the stupid design and
metal-wrapped gutter boards led melt water across soffit and into wall
around window. I'll never wrap a gutter board- use rot-resistant wood,
or fake wood. I had to peel the wrap down on the backside, and form a
drain point for the water, to keep same problem from happening again.
I'm sure that end of the gutter board is completely rotted in there,
because there is a gap above the wrap and back of gutter, below the drip
edge, such that water is forced in there when gutter are overflowing or
full of half-melted snow/ice. I'll probably leave it for next owner to
fix, because once you open up something like that, where do you stop?

--
aem sends...