Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

* U S * wrote:
Huh?

Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will
lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any
truth to this statement?

The snow will blow. If it has turned to ice, then the chunks of ice
likely will become missiles. We had 70 mph winds on Gulf coast during
one of the 2005 blow-bys...forget the names. Lots of shingles missing
in the neighborhood. It appeared, mainly, to affect old roofs. Very few
trees down. Loosened concrete tiles from roofs, as well. It took all
of my husband's considerable strength to retrieve one of our wheeled
trash cans that was blowing down the street. Plywood over windows would
be in order before the storm...not fun. We tried it once, then got
hurricane shutters.