Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message ...
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

Put on one of those little red (manual) flags. Leave it up, when it's down,
there's MAIL.

Sorry, could'nt resist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote
in :

I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for
my mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of
concrete * It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch
(all metal) * It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a
foot * So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that
an internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

You would still have to open the door but have you considered a stick on
mirror on the top of the inside?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for
my mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of
concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all
metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such
that an internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the
mailbox.

Any pointers?

First, the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box doesn't have
a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to be mailman) to pick
up outgoing mail.

Second, there are distance from the ground requirements. The old requirement
was 41-45" from the ground. The new requirement (~Jan 2005) is that the
height be approved by the local postmaster. If you're in the 42" range you
should be okay.

Having gotten this far, check the mailboxes at your local box store. There's
an easy way to add a small flag to the box such that the flag goes up when
the door is opened and you can discover the trick by looking at the display
models.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

If not a flag, then a motion sensor wired to small light on the front
down where you can see it. Put a lens over the light so it looks like a
reflector. Or make the light a little down light from landscape lighting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you can find sliding trays for mailboxes so you don't have to
reach in.... you can pull the mail to you. It wouldn't be hard to
fashion your own.

So um, why don't you walk up to your mailbox? You rest, you rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lefty" wrote in
et:

"Judy Zappacosta"
wrote in message ...
[...]

an indicator would be a great help to mail thieves,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 11:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Judy Zappacosta wrote:
[...]

models.- Hide quoted text -

First, the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box doesn't
have
a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to be mailman) to
pick
up outgoing mail.

"...the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box
doesn't have a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to
be mailman) to pick up outgoing mail. "

I'm not arguing as much as I'm questioning the logic here.

Why would the person-person stop *delivering* mail just because he
didn't know if the customer had any mail to be picked-up? On days when
there is nothing to be picked up (s)he's still obligated to deliver
what's in the bag.

It's the customer who may lose out if they have something to be picked
up and don't have a flag. If the person-person doesn't have anything
to deliver on that, they'll just drive on by and not pick up what's in
the box. However, if they have something to deliver, they have to
stop, flag or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:17:57 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote Re Need
indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside:

* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there

Wow! Suppose someone puts a rattle snake in there during the summer
and you stick you hand in there without looking!!!

I saw it in a movie once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for
my mailbox.

-snip-
First, the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box doesn't have
a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to be mailman) to pick
up outgoing mail.

My post office won't stop unless there is mail to be delivered. [which
is every day- so no inconvenience for me]. On my box, the flag is
just a courtesy to the mailman so he is ready to drag the mail out,
before he throws the mail in.

-snip-

Having gotten this far, check the mailboxes at your local box store. There's
an easy way to add a small flag to the box such that the flag goes up when
the door is opened and you can discover the trick by looking at the display
models.

That's on my rubbermaid box-- pretty simple.

I've also had the 'yellow ball in a eye-bolt' deal on my mailbox. When
the door is opened it drops the ball. I think I liked it better--
but it might just be that my eyes aren't as good as they were then --
I have a hard time seeing the little door-flag from the house.

Here's another style;
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/a...signal-reviews

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
"...the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box
doesn't have a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to
be mailman) to pick up outgoing mail. "

I'm not arguing as much as I'm questioning the logic here.

Why would the person-person stop *delivering* mail just because he
didn't know if the customer had any mail to be picked-up? On days when
there is nothing to be picked up (s)he's still obligated to deliver
what's in the bag.

If the box doesn't have a flag, the box doesn't conform to government
regulations. If the box is non-conforming, the postal service may decline to
service it.

In reality, it's just one more reason the postal service may get on your
case. ("It's too high off the ground, it doesn't have a flag, it is not
lockable, it's painted the wrong color, and made of unapproved material, and
we don't like the dog much either!")

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message ...
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

I'd use a spring switch with a top plate that covers the bottom of the
mailbox. Make sure the spring is strong enough to hold the plate up but any
additonal weight will trip it. Use a battery to light the led, put the
switch in between the led and battery. When there is mail, it will trip the
switch and light the LED. When you remove it, the spring will will push the
plate up and it will go off. You'll probably need a resistor between the
battery and LED depending on what type of LED you use.

HTH

Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

Here is one of them. They have been making all types for at least 20 years.

http://www.atrendyhome.com/mailchimealert.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:17:57 +0000, Judy Zappacosta wrote:

I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

Discription below each picture. I have posted the how to before but these
pictures should help.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995120.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995119.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995118.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995116.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995117.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

RLM wrote in
:

[...]

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...on=view&curren
t=1265995120.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...on=view&curren
t=1265995119.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...on=view&curren
t=1265995118.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...on=view&curren
t=1265995116.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...on=view&curren
t=1265995117.jpg

Cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt Williamson wrote:

I'd use a spring switch with a top plate that covers the bottom of the
mailbox. Make sure the spring is strong enough to hold the plate up
but any additonal weight will trip it. Use a battery to light the
led, put the switch in between the led and battery. When there is
mail, it will trip the switch and light the LED. When you remove it,
the spring will will push the plate up and it will go off. You'll
probably need a resistor between the battery and LED depending on
what type of LED you use.

Ohhh! That triggered an idea!

Get one of those spring snakes you find in trick boxes of peanuts and jam it
in the box.

When the (presumably) female mailman opens the box, the high-pitched scream
will alert you to a delivery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:54:58 -0500, RLM wrote:

-snip-

Discription below each picture. I have posted the how to before but these
pictures should help.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995120.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995119.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995118.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995116.jpg
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...1265995117.jpg

Well done. It also has the advantage of not being a notice to bad
guys driving by that you've got mail.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:22:11 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Matt Williamson wrote:

I'd use a spring switch with a top plate that covers the bottom of the
mailbox. Make sure the spring is strong enough to hold the plate up
but any additonal weight will trip it. Use a battery to light the
led, put the switch in between the led and battery. When there is
mail, it will trip the switch and light the LED. When you remove it,
the spring will will push the plate up and it will go off. You'll
probably need a resistor between the battery and LED depending on
what type of LED you use.

Ohhh! That triggered an idea!

Get one of those spring snakes you find in trick boxes of peanuts and jam it
in the box.

When the (presumably) female mailman opens the box, the high-pitched scream
will alert you to a delivery.

My neighbors put a cat in a mailbox once. They said it jumped into
the mail car when the mailman opened the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

wrote:

Matt Williamson wrote:

I'd use a spring switch with a top plate that covers the bottom of
the mailbox. Make sure the spring is strong enough to hold the plate
up but any additonal weight will trip it. Use a battery to light the
led, put the switch in between the led and battery. When there is
mail, it will trip the switch and light the LED. When you remove it,
the spring will will push the plate up and it will go off. You'll
probably need a resistor between the battery and LED depending on
what type of LED you use.

Ohhh! That triggered an idea!

Get one of those spring snakes you find in trick boxes of peanuts and
jam it in the box.

When the (presumably) female mailman opens the box, the high-pitched
scream will alert you to a delivery.

My neighbors put a cat in a mailbox once. They said it jumped into
the mail car when the mailman opened the box.

your neighbors are animal abusers.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:20:07 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

wrote:

Matt Williamson wrote:

[...]

They were some pretty mean kids. Thankfully, neither one turned out
to be a serial killer. At least I don't think they did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 10:17*am, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

I can help you out but first I want to know how the mail sits in the
mail box.
Does it lay down flat or on it's side ?
Also is this mail box in a sunny location?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Popular Mechanics had such a trick, about forty
years ago. The trick was to put a weighted flag on
the blind side of the box. When the driver opens
the box, the bottom weight pulls the flag
vertical. Of course you have to reset this after
you get your mail out. Not much use in freezing
weather.

One other variation was the button inside the box,
wired to a buzzer in the house. Or, low voltage
door bell that bing bongs when you mailbox door is
opened.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Having gotten this far, check the mailboxes at
your local box store. There's
an easy way to add a small flag to the box such
that the flag goes up when
the door is opened and you can discover the trick
by looking at the display
models.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mail thieves would never think to follow the mail
truck at a distance, or something tacky like that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...

an indicator would be a great help to mail
thieves,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Popular Mechanics had such a trick, about forty
years ago. The trick was to put a weighted flag on
the blind side of the box. When the driver opens
the box, the bottom weight pulls the flag
vertical. Of course you have to reset this after
you get your mail out. Not much use in freezing
weather.

One other variation was the button inside the box,
wired to a buzzer in the house. Or, low voltage
door bell that bing bongs when you mailbox door is
opened.

When are you going to fix your newsreader configuration so it puts your sig at
the bottom where it belongs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lefty wrote:
"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message ...
[...]

Unless you have outgoing mail, or get mail coming EVERY day, that will
**** off your delivery driver. The good ones stop at all raised flags,
and if there is no mail waiting, and they have nothing to deliver, that
is wasted time for them.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 1:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Having never read the regs, I certainly won't doubt what you're
saying.

Of course, I live in an area where *nobody* has flags. Our mail boxes
are at the houses and there is basically no conformance of any kind.

My neighbor's is a mail slot next to the garage door, mail drops into
a box. Mine is a black metal box hanging on the wall next to my front
door. The neighbor on the other side has a wooden box on her porch
that says "Male" on it. (really!)

The entire neighborhood is a mixture of just about every type of
receptacle you can think of, *except* for boxes on posts with flags.

If I have something for Dave (the carrier) to pick up, I stand it
"vertically" in the mail box so he knows it's there.

I also shovel a path across my front yard so he can get through the
snow from my neighbor's house and I tip him nicely when he wipes off
my seat at the local AAA baseball stadium. Nice guy. Been my mailman
for 25 years, seen my family go through good times and bad, and always
has time for conversation or a quick joke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:51:08 -0600, Red Green wrote:

have you considered a stick on mirror on the top of the inside?

That's a GREAT idea ... worth a try.

I had not thought of that.

This is the kind of idea I was hoping to find by asking the question.

I haven't read all the responses yet so we'll see what else comes up. I can
imagine whatever we come up with here will be generally useful to anyone
who can't see "into" the mailbox from their car.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:19:06 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

If the box doesn't have a flag, the box doesn't conform to government
regulations. If the box is non-conforming, the postal service may decline to
service it.

They deliver my mail fine.

I never put outgoing mail in the mailbox to be taken.

So, I can live without the red flag (although it would be nice to have
one).

I went to Lowes today to look again for just the red flag but they don't
sell it standalone.

But the more important thing is to figure out how I can tell if mail is
inside the mailbox.

I was thinking something like the little red light that is on the garage
door. If that beam is broken, there's an indicator that turns on outside.

Seems like a general enough request that others would have resolved it by
now. Or, does everyone always look in their mailbox every day even when
there's no mail inside?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:45:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I live in an area where *nobody* has flags. Our mail boxes
are at the houses and there is basically no conformance of any kind.

I used to live in a place like that. Nobody had flags. Some had mail slots
in the garage door. Others had a black plastic mailbox next to the front
door on the outside wall.

None had flags.

What we used to do was use one of those black office clips to clip outgoing
mail on the OUTSIDE of the mailbox so that the postperson knew there was
mail.

In reality it didn't work well becausae if they didn't have any mail, they
never even looked to see if we had mail waiting for them so we gave up
eventually and put outgoing mail only in the blue boxes on the street.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:45:33 -0500, Tony wrote:

http://www.atrendyhome.com/mailchimealert.html

That sounds promising.
It seems to work on the door opening and not on mail being placed in the
mailbox.

I wonder how that chime works in an all-metal mailbox.
(How does it figure out that the door has been opened?)

The ad doesn't say HOW it figures out that the mailbox has been opened.

My mailbox looks similar to this one:
http://romangladiator.biz/images/016_ak9r.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:07:57 -0800 (PST), Jack Hammer wrote:

I want to know how the mail sits in the mail box.
Does it lay down flat or on it's side ?
Also is this mail box in a sunny location?

The mail box looks pretty much like this one (but without the lock):
http://www.altocontracting.com/Mail%20Box%20Pillar1.JPG

The mail is almost always flat (the box is rather shallow).

Sunny? It's in a shaded area. Trees and a hill overhang it but the road is
in front so the sun can get through.

I'm not sure why this matters but I'm intrigued now.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message

But the more important thing is to figure out how I can tell if mail is
inside the mailbox.

Get a Rubbermaid mailbox. I has a yellow flag on a lever that pops up on the
side when the door is opened. Easily spotted from in the house 100 feet
away. After dark I can shine a bright light o see if it is up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:45:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

The entire neighborhood is a mixture of just about every type of
receptacle you can think of, *except* for boxes on posts with flags.

When I google for a similar mailbox as mine, I find plenty of the type I
have that do NOT have any flag.

This one, for example, looks kind of like mine (but I don't have a lock on
mine):
http://www.mailboxnet.com/column_mai...pillar_600.jpg

It's all metal so anything that indicates mail inside can't be purely on an
electrical circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:02:41 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

[...]

You might want to go to this Google search results link. Seems to have
the info you desire.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...lbox+indicator

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:30:00 -0500, "Matt Williamson"
wrote:

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message ...
[...]

Use a microswitch on the door to trigger n electronic "latching relay"
to turn on an LED every time the door is opened. A push-button to
reset it after you take OUT the mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:30:00 -0500, "Matt Williamson"
wrote:

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message ...
[...]

Anybody make a clear mailbox, or one with clear panels on top and on the
back, so you can look out the window with binoculars and tell if mail is
in there? I suppose you could blacksmith a metal box- add a swath of
semi-clear (so people driving by can't see in) across the top, or an LED
light powered from the landscape lights in OP's case. Then add a window
in the back.

Personally, it is a moot point for me. I'm almost never home when the
mail is delivered. I just approach from that direction (tiny loop road
subdivision), and check it as I get home.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got a laugh, at the thought of the mail
carrier's reaction.

Serial killer.... how else do you explain the
declining population in your area? Hmm?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in
message

My neighbors put a cat in a mailbox once. They
said it jumped into
the mail car when the mailman opened the box.

your neighbors are animal abusers.

They were some pretty mean kids. Thankfully,
neither one turned out
to be a serial killer. At least I don't think
they did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you make a clear backed mail box (excellent
idea). Please buy some of the diagonal reflective
tape sold at trucking places. Put that on the
inside floor of your mail box, so that you won't
be straining to see if that white in the box is
the mailbox, or a similar colored letter.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Anybody make a clear mailbox, or one with clear
panels on top and on the
back, so you can look out the window with
binoculars and tell if mail is
in there? I suppose you could blacksmith a metal
box- add a swath of
semi-clear (so people driving by can't see in)
across the top, or an LED
light powered from the landscape lights in OP's
case. Then add a window
in the back.

Personally, it is a moot point for me. I'm almost
never home when the
mail is delivered. I just approach from that
direction (tiny loop road
subdivision), and check it as I get home.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline