Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to add indicator light to gas oven

We have a 6 month old GE gas oven in our home. It is the most basic
model oven, with no light to indicate when the oven is on. It was
purchased by the previous owner of the house.

I would like to add a little LED light that is on when the oven is on,
to help prevent us from accidently leaving it on after we are done
using it.

Can someone please give me the basic idea of how I would do this? I
am comfortable with basic wiring, and I figure I would have to find a
wire that is live when the oven is on. How do I go about doing that?
Just open the back and start probing with a voltmeter? Is there an
easier way?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rocko" wrote in message
Can someone please give me the basic idea of how I would do this? I
am comfortable with basic wiring, and I figure I would have to find a
wire that is live when the oven is on. How do I go about doing that?
Just open the back and start probing with a voltmeter? Is there an
easier way?

thanks

Is there a wiring diagram on the back panel?

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

There is a chance that there is no such wire.
The gas valve, thermostat, etc. may all be mechanical
and there may be no wires at all.
Is this just an oven, or a range (include cooktop)?
Since it is only 6 months old, there is probably some
service documentation (and a schematic, if applicable)
in an envelope inside one of the panels that you would take
off to service it. Look for it, and that might give you a clue.

Rocko wrote:

We have a 6 month old GE gas oven in our home. It is the most basic
model oven, with no light to indicate when the oven is on. It was
purchased by the previous owner of the house.

I would like to add a little LED light that is on when the oven is on,
to help prevent us from accidently leaving it on after we are done
using it.

Can someone please give me the basic idea of how I would do this? I
am comfortable with basic wiring, and I figure I would have to find a
wire that is live when the oven is on. How do I go about doing that?
Just open the back and start probing with a voltmeter? Is there an
easier way?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rocko" wrote in message

We have a 6 month old GE gas oven in our home. It is the most basic
model oven, with no light to indicate when the oven is on. It was
purchased by the previous owner of the house.

I would like to add a little LED light that is on when the oven is on,
to help prevent us from accidently leaving it on after we are done
using it.

Can someone please give me the basic idea of how I would do this? I
am comfortable with basic wiring, and I figure I would have to find a
wire that is live when the oven is on. How do I go about doing that?
Just open the back and start probing with a voltmeter? Is there an
easier way?

thanks- Hide quoted text -

might rig up a temp detection circuit. most ovens have a minimum on
temp.

so minimum on is say 175, so set temp detection to 150

any time its more than 150 light would flash. not a ideal solution,
but a usable one

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would like to add a little LED light that is on when the oven is on,
to help prevent us from accidently leaving it on after we are done
using it.

Just use an oven thermometer to see how hot it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 21:23:22 -0400, Rocko
wrote:

We have a 6 month old GE gas oven in our home. It is the most basic
model oven, with no light to indicate when the oven is on. It was
purchased by the previous owner of the house.

I would like to add a little LED light that is on when the oven is on,
to help prevent us from accidently leaving it on after we are done
using it.

Can someone please give me the basic idea of how I would do this? I
am comfortable with basic wiring, and I figure I would have to find a
wire that is live when the oven is on.

There is none. It's a gas oven.

How do I go about doing that?
Just open the back and start probing with a voltmeter? Is there an
easier way?

It's the most basic model. It even has a pilot light. Even a fancier
model only has a clock and an oven light, and neither of these are
related to whether the oven is on.

But gas ovens are better than electric ovens, so be happy anyhow.

Paint the line on the knobs brighter and wider, red, white, or yellow.

I repaint lines on lots of things to make them more visible. I
usually use red nail polish (shiny and comes with its own brush).

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Rocko wrote:

We have a 6 month old GE gas oven in our home. It is the most basic
model oven, with no light to indicate when the oven is on. It was
purchased by the previous owner of the house.

I would like to add a little LED light that is on when the oven is on,
to help prevent us from accidently leaving it on after we are done
using it.

Can someone please give me the basic idea of how I would do this? I
am comfortable with basic wiring, and I figure I would have to find a
wire that is live when the oven is on. How do I go about doing that?
Just open the back and start probing with a voltmeter? Is there an
easier way?

thanks

Uh, I'm missing something here. Isn't the *most basic* gas oven devoid
of electrical supply at all?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

There is none. It's a gas oven.

How do I go about doing that?
Just open the back and start probing with a voltmeter? Is there an
easier way?

It's the most basic model. It even has a pilot light. Even a fancier
model only has a clock and an oven light, and neither of these are
related to whether the oven is on.

Please explain how the electronic igniter works with not electricity and why
it has wires connected to it. If it has power to it for a clock, it is
required to have electronic ignition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rocko wrote:
We have a 6 month old GE gas oven in our home. It is the most basic
model oven, with no light to indicate when the oven is on. It was
purchased by the previous owner of the house.

I would like to add a little LED light that is on when the oven is on,
to help prevent us from accidently leaving it on after we are done
using it.

Can someone please give me the basic idea of how I would do this? I
am comfortable with basic wiring, and I figure I would have to find a
wire that is live when the oven is on. How do I go about doing that?
Just open the back and start probing with a voltmeter? Is there an
easier way?

Check with FEMA. They may have some knobs left over.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n16781882

Posted to alt.home.repair

yep, mine has none.

--
Steve Barker

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

Uh, I'm missing something here. Isn't the *most basic* gas oven devoid
of electrical supply at all?

Posted to alt.home.repair

hi all .. new to this forum?

have a teka oven at home .. from the prev owner. didnt leave an
instruction manual so am a bit confused on how to use it.

to top it all it has a timer device - tried switching that on with
tempand the fuse blew off !! when there is a timer, temp knob and
another knob on sysmbols - top/bottom heat, bottom heat, fan and
bottom heat .. stuff like that. need some urgent help on how to use
the comibs. am a veggie so plan to only bake cakes/ cookies.

many thanks