Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator H2O filter, indicator light

Howdy,
I have a year old Whirlpool fridge. Water filter change light did its
green-yellow-red routine right at six months, and again at one year.
I am strongly suspecting now that this is a timer, and their is no H2O
quality being measured. It would be surprising if their was a
conductivity meter in an $1100 fridge. And the filter was around $50
at Lowes.
Just wondering (yes, I live alone! Too much time on my hands!)
Carl
Posted to alt.home.repair

Carlshead wrote:
Howdy,
I have a year old Whirlpool fridge. Water filter change light did its
green-yellow-red routine right at six months, and again at one year.
I am strongly suspecting now that this is a timer, and their is no H2O
quality being measured. It would be surprising if their was a
conductivity meter in an $1100 fridge. And the filter was around $50
at Lowes.
Just wondering (yes, I live alone! Too much time on my hands!)
Carl

My WP fridge filter indicator will come on sooner if I use more water. I
am guessing that they use a simple timer to keep track of the time that
water is flowing through the filter (plumbing) either by using a
pressure or flow sensor of some sort or maybe just timing how long the
water tap switch is held down.
You can get better deals on filters on-line something like 3/$100
delivered.
Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message
Carlshead wrote:
[...]

I just ignore mine. Water is the same. Water pressure is the same; so why
bother. YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Carlshead" wrote in message
Howdy,
I have a year old Whirlpool fridge. Water filter change light did its
green-yellow-red routine right at six months, and again at one year.
I am strongly suspecting now that this is a timer, and their is no H2O
quality being measured. It would be surprising if their was a
conductivity meter in an $1100 fridge. And the filter was around $50
at Lowes.
Just wondering (yes, I live alone! Too much time on my hands!)
Carl

I don't know how they work but bacteria over time is a consideration also.
Will the water still work if you just remove the filter? If so, I'd leave
it out and put an in line filter in its place. They are about $10 to $15 to
replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin Ricks wrote:

Carlshead wrote:
[...]

I expect it's an integrated time and use monitor, where it starts with a
base time of six months as the maximum filter life based on bacteria
buildup or some such, and deducts additionally off that time for the
amount of use the dispenser and ice maker get (remember the ice maker
goes through the same filter).

Personally, I just reset the light whenever it comes on and replace the
filter when I feel like it. The source water fed to it is pretty good,
so I don't expect it wears / clogs at any appreciable rate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Along these lines, we have an 'under sink' filter with a separate small
faucet on the sink. I actually mounted the filter in the basement under the
kitchen where it is easier to access and doesn't take up space under the
sink. When the frig filter light came on, I replace the filter with the
by-pass plug that came with the frig (Maytag) and then 'Teed' the water line
into the line to the sink faucet, thereby giving that filter double-duty.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Carlshead" wrote in message
Howdy,
I have a year old Whirlpool fridge. Water filter change light did its
green-yellow-red routine right at six months, and again at one year.
I am strongly suspecting now that this is a timer, and their is no H2O
quality being measured. It would be surprising if their was a
conductivity meter in an $1100 fridge. And the filter was around $50
at Lowes.
Just wondering (yes, I live alone! Too much time on my hands!)
Carl

I don't know how they work but bacteria over time is a consideration also.
Will the water still work if you just remove the filter? If so, I'd leave
it out and put an in line filter in its place. They are about $10 to $15
to replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 22 Jul 2008 03:42:54p, Carlshead told us...

Howdy,
I have a year old Whirlpool fridge. Water filter change light did its
green-yellow-red routine right at six months, and again at one year.
I am strongly suspecting now that this is a timer, and their is no H2O
quality being measured. It would be surprising if their was a
conductivity meter in an $1100 fridge. And the filter was around $50
at Lowes.
Just wondering (yes, I live alone! Too much time on my hands!)
Carl

I had a Whirpool with the same type of filter. The filter change light is,
indeed, triggered by a timer, as confirmed by a phone call to Whirlpool.
For one or two people, the filter should easily last a year. Just reset
the light and keep the filter.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine goes about two years before the light turns red. For one person
I use a lot of water and ice. But NY water's pretty clean so I reset
it once and then change the filter the second time it turns red. No
change in taste or water flow that I've noticed.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 9:52*pm, Shaun Eli wrote:
Mine goes about two years before the light turns red. *For one person
I use a lot of water and ice. *But NY water's pretty clean so I reset
it once and then change the filter the second time it turns red. *No
change in taste or water flow that I've noticed.

Shaun Eliwww.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: *Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Very interesting question. I just got a new Kitchenaid fridge. It
was a floor model and I got a great deal on it. When it showed up, I
noticed the filter only had like 17% life left. The fridge was
plugged in at the store, but obviously no water was being used, at
least AFAIK. Also, while I was working on a kitchen remodel, I had
the water disconnected for a week and during that time, the filter
light went to red, meaning it was obviously counting down based on
time and not water usage.

But the unit does have a water flow measuring device. When I draw
water, it counts up the ounces going out on the display. My first
thought would be that this would be the way they would monitor the
filter for change, based on water flow. However, I'm certain that
time is at least one componenet and possibly the only one. Or it
coudl be as Pete suggested, where they do a combo of time and volume.