Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator H2O filter, indicator light

On Jul 25, 9:52*pm, Shaun Eli wrote:
Mine goes about two years before the light turns red. *For one person
I use a lot of water and ice. *But NY water's pretty clean so I reset
it once and then change the filter the second time it turns red. *No
change in taste or water flow that I've noticed.

Shaun Eliwww.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: *Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Very interesting question. I just got a new Kitchenaid fridge. It
was a floor model and I got a great deal on it. When it showed up, I
noticed the filter only had like 17% life left. The fridge was
plugged in at the store, but obviously no water was being used, at
least AFAIK. Also, while I was working on a kitchen remodel, I had
the water disconnected for a week and during that time, the filter
light went to red, meaning it was obviously counting down based on
time and not water usage.

But the unit does have a water flow measuring device. When I draw
water, it counts up the ounces going out on the display. My first
thought would be that this would be the way they would monitor the
filter for change, based on water flow. However, I'm certain that
time is at least one componenet and possibly the only one. Or it
coudl be as Pete suggested, where they do a combo of time and volume.