Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Refrigerator H2O filter, indicator light

Carlshead wrote:
Howdy,
I have a year old Whirlpool fridge. Water filter change light did its
green-yellow-red routine right at six months, and again at one year.
I am strongly suspecting now that this is a timer, and their is no H2O
quality being measured. It would be surprising if their was a
conductivity meter in an $1100 fridge. And the filter was around $50
at Lowes.
Just wondering (yes, I live alone! Too much time on my hands!)
Carl

My WP fridge filter indicator will come on sooner if I use more water. I
am guessing that they use a simple timer to keep track of the time that
water is flowing through the filter (plumbing) either by using a
pressure or flow sensor of some sort or maybe just timing how long the
water tap switch is held down.
You can get better deals on filters on-line something like 3/$100
delivered.
Kevin