Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:30:00 -0500, "Matt Williamson"
wrote:

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message ...
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

I'd use a spring switch with a top plate that covers the bottom of the
mailbox. Make sure the spring is strong enough to hold the plate up but any
additonal weight will trip it. Use a battery to light the led, put the
switch in between the led and battery. When there is mail, it will trip the
switch and light the LED. When you remove it, the spring will will push the
plate up and it will go off. You'll probably need a resistor between the
battery and LED depending on what type of LED you use.

HTH

Matt

Use a microswitch on the door to trigger n electronic "latching relay"
to turn on an LED every time the door is opened. A push-button to
reset it after you take OUT the mail.